none
Active Directory nesting security groups

Question

• Hi,
    Can Windows/AD handle the following security group nesting strategy:

Nest an AD security group into another AD security group, which will be nested into a local machine security group on a server. I have tried this and the permissions do not seem to be propagated?

Summary:
    AD Security Group(Universal)>AD Security Group(Global)>Local Machine Secuity Group

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:42 PM

Answers

• See,

Using Group Nesting Strategy - AD Best Practices for Group Strategy Blogged By Ace Fecay (DS-MVP)

Regards
    Biswajit Biswas
    My Blogs|TechnetWiki Ninja

Best regards Biswajit Biswas Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. MCP 2003,MCSA 2003, MCSA:M 2003, CCNA, MCTS, Enterprise Admin

• Marked as answer by 朱鸿文 Monday, June 3, 2013 6:03 AM
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Yes you can do this.

You want to do it like this...

Permission group applied to local group on computer:

Domain Local Security Group

Group for users

Global Security Group

So the group you add to the local group on the computer needs to be a domain local group, and your members should go into the global group, which you nest into the domain local group.

A G D L P

Accounts in global groups, global groups in domain local groups, domain local groups apply permissions

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:18 AM

All replies

• See,

Using Group Nesting Strategy - AD Best Practices for Group Strategy Blogged By Ace Fecay (DS-MVP)

Regards
    Biswajit Biswas
    My Blogs|TechnetWiki Ninja

Best regards Biswajit Biswas Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. MCP 2003,MCSA 2003, MCSA:M 2003, CCNA, MCTS, Enterprise Admin

• Marked as answer by 朱鸿文 Monday, June 3, 2013 6:03 AM
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Yes you can do this.

You want to do it like this...

Permission group applied to local group on computer:

Domain Local Security Group

Group for users

Global Security Group

So the group you add to the local group on the computer needs to be a domain local group, and your members should go into the global group, which you nest into the domain local group.

A G D L P

Accounts in global groups, global groups in domain local groups, domain local groups apply permissions

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:18 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Have a great day!

Regards

Kevin

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Friday, May 31, 2013 1:56 AM