none
BSOD, 0x0000007F

General discussion

• I found a similar error report to what I have for Vista that was reported 12/07. My system checks out fine as did the other poster. This appears to be a Windows OS bug rather than the reported system error.
    It seems that this is actually caused by WMC. The two times I had the BSOD was when WMC was doing it background maintenance.

This is issue needs to be sent to to MS technicians to find out why it occurs. In th other thread the poster was refered to calling fee based tech support. Given how similar the reported error is on two completely different PCs and two OSs, I'd have to say this is a problem MS needs to address and not for the customer to pay for.
    Is there a way to get tech support without paying for it, especially since this is RC?

0x0000007F (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031, 0x00000000000006FB, 0xFFFFF800002A8D3E9)
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:20 AM

All replies

• Are you overclocking?
    Have you checked your RAM memory for errors?
    RAM problems is the most common cause of this type of BSOD.
    You can check your ram using built in tool from 7.
    Go to control panel and then to Administrative tools. There you can run a test.

-Windows 7 x64 RC -MSI K9A2 Platinum BIOS V1.8 -AMD Phenom X4 9950 @2.7 -MSI HD 4850 -4 GB DDR2 Kingston @667 -Seagate 160 GB SATAII -Cooler Master Real Power Pro 550W
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:37 AM
  • Hi DonnieR,

If by WMC, you are meaning Windows Media Center, than that is not likely the case.  It may be that WMC is triggering some behavior on a specific system or a specific configuration, but WMC is a user-mode component, and bugchecks / BSODs are only caused by faulty hardware or faulty kernel-mode components such as device drivers. 

In your case, the bugcheck is reported as a double-fault, which means that an exception was encountered while processing another exception.

Can you by any chance ZIP the dump file associated with this bugcheck, password-protect the ZIP file, upload the ZIP file somewhere, and privately or publicly provide the location of the uploaded file, and privately provide the password (my email address is in my profile).

jadraker's suggestions are also, of course, good guidance to follow.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:35 PM
  • No over clocking at all.
    Memory as stated is new and all hardware checks out 100%.
    This is definitely an OS problem.
    The first BSOD occured during an attempt to close a WM window in IE and the second happened during WMC background maintenance.
    I played WoW last night without a problem (other than FPS) which puts the system under a heavy load. If there was a hardware problem playing WoW would have caused a BSOD if anything would.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:41 PM
  • If there was a hardware problem playing WoW would have caused a BSOD if anything would.
    Not necessarily.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 5:36 PM
  • I will take your word on that since I do not know about that, but the BSODs occurred during WM functions, so whatever device driver was in use at that time appears to be the cause.

The built in Zip function in Windows is good enough? And where should the file be located? Can something like this be loaded to Photobucket? If not, any recommendations?

Sunday, July 26, 2009 5:48 PM
  • I don't generally make use of Windows compression functions, and use add-on software for that.  I do not know if Windows supports the ability to password-protect (encrypt) the file.   Dmp files and other diagnostic output can potentially contain information that you may consider personal - usernames in paths, details about the software on your system, filesystem paths, contents of memory, etc.  So the suggestion is made to encrypt this type of output prior to transmission.  If you're comfortable with it, you may simply attach the file to an email message...

Else, hosting services such as Windows Live Skydrive are an option.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Where should the dump file be, and would it be a single file or one for each BSOD dump?
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:10 PM
  • There would be one dump file for each bugcheck.  The file should be in %systemroot%\minidump, e.g. c:\windows\minidump.  Look for a file with a timestamp that matches the incident being discussed.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Sent email for access to Skydrive locked file. Let me know if any problems. Both of the .dmp files are there, no encryption. You can delete them once you download them.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 10:21 PM
  • The double fault is generally caused by one of two things - hardware failure, or a kernel stack overflow.  Both dumps are quite similar.  This suggests that the problem is less likely to be a hardware problem, and more likely to be a kernel stack overflow.  Functions related to networking were in the stack; suspect drivers in this case include those related to NDIS / networking.  I also note some old drivers on the system - some from 2004 (SiWinAcc), 2005 (ASACPI), 2006 (NCREMOTEPCI, SiRemFil), as well as a number of Creative drivers from 2007.  May be worth checking for updates...
    Monday, July 27, 2009 11:22 AM
  • I uninstalled the AMD CPUInfo and PWRMng (I think that was what it was called) and so far no BSOD. I'm thinking one or both of them are not compatiable with W&. I will let the system run a few more days to see what happens. I will post again if I do not get a BSOD before the end of this month.
    I'm going to post and/or email AMD about it to have them check it out also.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 2:28 AM