none
How long should Restore take?

Question

• I've been asked to look at an Acer PC.

I ran the memory check and there was a message about needing to contact the manufacturer because of a fault.

I blew the dust out of the case, removed the memory, blew out the memory slots and replaced the memory in different slots (2 slots swapped).  The memory now passes the memory check, and there were no other faults reported.

Windows 7 Home started, then blue-screened.  It reset before I could record the fault number.

I booted into safe mode and ran SFC, but it said there were some files it couldn't check.

I removed the disk and checked it on my Win 7 Ultimate PC.  Disk Check was OK.  So was chkdsk /r.  I backed up the Users folder, just in case.

After returning the disk to his machine, I tried numerous startup fixes.  The system still reported a problem and asked if I wanted to report it to Microsoft. I selected No because I did not want it connected to my home network until I knew what the problem was.

Anyway, to cut the long story short, I selected Restore because it looked like a driver issue.  There were few restore points available.  In order, most recent first, there was an uninstall of a game, then the install of the game, then a restore point back in December.  I selected the December restore point.  It warned me that older restores were not as reliable, but I selected it anyway, just in case there was something left over from the game install.  Also, it may have been relatively old, but there were only 2 intermediate ones.

That was about 30 hours ago.  There's no progress meter on the restore, but the little bar keeps moving on the screen, so maybe it's still working on the restore.  Maybe...

The hard disk is only 640GB, and there wasn't a lot of stuff installed on the PC.

I know that stopping the Restore is likely to be fatal and I'll need a complete rebuild.

Any tips on how long I should leave it running? 

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 11:32 AM

Answers

• 30hrs is way too long IMHO.  Whenever I have needed to use system restore, the longest I have seen it take is an hour tops.  If you did have memory issues, its possible those points might just have been corrupted.

One thing you can do if you want to figure out the bugcheck you're seeing is to boot the machine and choose F8.  From that menu use the disable automatic restart button and it will let you see the blue screen you're getting.  That might have some clues into what you can do.

--Joseph [MSFT] http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:10 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

If it is still in processing, please unplug unnecessary external devices first.

no matter the system restore is successful or not, you can "undo" it using the "Undo System Restore" feature.

You can perform a hard shutdown and then restart to Safe Mode.From Safe Mode you can try another system restore.

If you can't boot into system, this issue is more than system restore. Please check the physical connection of the memory and other device again.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:56 AM

All replies

• 30hrs is way too long IMHO.  Whenever I have needed to use system restore, the longest I have seen it take is an hour tops.  If you did have memory issues, its possible those points might just have been corrupted.

One thing you can do if you want to figure out the bugcheck you're seeing is to boot the machine and choose F8.  From that menu use the disable automatic restart button and it will let you see the blue screen you're getting.  That might have some clues into what you can do.

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:10 PM
  • Good tip.  Thanks.

It's still showing that it's restoring, so that makes it about 38 hours it's been running.

I know it's extremely unlikely there's a safe way to interrupt a restore, but it doesn't hurt to ask - Is there any way I can interrupt the Restore without trashing the system? 

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Unfortunately no.  Hopefully cancelling the restore point will at least get you back to where you were.
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

If it is still in processing, please unplug unnecessary external devices first.

no matter the system restore is successful or not, you can "undo" it using the "Undo System Restore" feature.

You can perform a hard shutdown and then restart to Safe Mode.From Safe Mode you can try another system restore.

If you can't boot into system, this issue is more than system restore. Please check the physical connection of the memory and other device again.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

How is it going? I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance.  :)

Best Regards

Magon Liu

Monday, March 07, 2011 6:45 AM
  • good day, i just want to ask you on how will i reboot my computer. should i press F8 after restarting the system or what? pls help me i think theres a problem with my computer system.

thank you and God Bless!

Monday, May 28, 2012 10:20 PM
  • @neizar;

You're probably best opening another thread for your issue, otherwise I don't know that anyone will see it.  Describe the types of problems you're having and what operating system you're running.  I am assuming Win8 CP, but I learned a long time ago not to assume anything ;)

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:28 AM