none
Intel 82945G Drivers / Support for Independent Dual Display (or Multiple Monitors) on GMA 950 gone in Windows 7

Question

• I can not seem to find a way to engage the Intel 82945G chipset in dual independent display mode, which worked natively in Vista.

I have tried installing the Windows 7 Beta:
    1. As a fresh 32bit installation
    2. As a fresh 64bit installation, and
    3. As an upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit version... where the display was fully functioning in dual mode.

It seems none of the publicly available drivers for Intel 82945G integrated graphics chip that are Windows 7 compatible support  the independent multi monitor mode.  this includes:

1. The Windows 7 Beta drivers supplied natively by the Microsoft install
    2. The latest downloadable drivers from Intel: v7.14.10.1504),

This is quite disappointing, as the native drivers used by Windows Vista, support dual independent displays, SEAMLESSLY.  It appears as if this shortcoming has to do with WDDM 1.0 support vs. WDDM 1.1, although it isn't entirely clear to me if this is the case.

My related hardware configuration is as follows: 
    Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C w/Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (Intel 82945G Chipset) & 2Gb RAM
    SDVO (Serial Digital Video Out) or ADD2 Dual-Display Expansion Card in the PCI-Express slot
    1600x1200 capable Viewsonic P95f+ CRT using 15pin VGA Cable
    1680x1050 LCD widescreen using DVI Cable

Please let me know if drivers (even beta or non-public versions) are available that support independent dual display mode, or if there is some way to enable the previous generation Vista drivers to manage the graphics shics chipset such that it supports independent dual displays.

Thanks!

Thursday, January 22, 2009 6:23 AM

Answers