none
printer preferences won't open

Question

•  

I have a hp 2210 with vista.  The HP software (hp director) doesn't work under vista (according to HP) with a hp 2210.  They sent me a web page telling me how to print, scan etc from Vista

My problem is that about 3-4 months ago I suddenly could no longer access printer preferences (such as the page that comes up when you use print...

It appears to flash the printer preferences dialog box quickly.  This is also true from the control panel - printers page.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:44 PM

Answers

• Can you create another user and see if you see the same symptoms?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Hi susanz,

I encountered the similar issue before.

Mostly the issue is caused by the corrupted driver Dll files. You can try to use SFC to verify the files.

Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

=====================================================

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. If you are prompted to insert the CD, click "Continue" each time it prompts.

Then, please test this issue in Clean Boot and a new account.

Clean Boot

===================

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type ''msconfig'' (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

3. On the Startup tab, click Disable All.

4. On the Services tab, check the box before ''Hide All Microsoft Services'' and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.

A dialog box will appear indicating that some changes have been applied to Windows Configurations. Please mark the check box and then cancel this dialog box.

6. Please check if the issue persists in Clean Boot mode.

Note: To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, click Normal Startup on the General tab in the System Configuration Utility, click OK, and then restart the computer.

Create a new user account to test this issue

===========================

1. Click "Start", type "Control userpasswords" in the Start Search box, and then click "Control userpasswords" in the Programs list. 

2. Click "Manage another account".

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click "Allow".

3. Create a new account with Administrator permission.

4. Log off the computer.

5. Log on to Windows Vista by using the new account and this issue.

Does it work now?

Hope it helps.

Friday, August 1, 2008 6:21 AM

All replies

• Can you create another user and see if you see the same symptoms?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Hi susanz,

I encountered the similar issue before.

Mostly the issue is caused by the corrupted driver Dll files. You can try to use SFC to verify the files.

Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

=====================================================

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. If you are prompted to insert the CD, click "Continue" each time it prompts.

Then, please test this issue in Clean Boot and a new account.

Clean Boot

===================

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type ''msconfig'' (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

3. On the Startup tab, click Disable All.

4. On the Services tab, check the box before ''Hide All Microsoft Services'' and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK. When you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.

A dialog box will appear indicating that some changes have been applied to Windows Configurations. Please mark the check box and then cancel this dialog box.

6. Please check if the issue persists in Clean Boot mode.

Note: To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, click Normal Startup on the General tab in the System Configuration Utility, click OK, and then restart the computer.

Create a new user account to test this issue

===========================

1. Click "Start", type "Control userpasswords" in the Start Search box, and then click "Control userpasswords" in the Programs list. 

2. Click "Manage another account".

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click "Allow".

3. Create a new account with Administrator permission.

4. Log off the computer.

5. Log on to Windows Vista by using the new account and this issue.

Does it work now?

Hope it helps.

Friday, August 1, 2008 6:21 AM
  • Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, my operating system wasn installed by the manufacturer and I don't have an operating system disk to insert to get the good version of any files.  Trying a new administrator user also didn't work for me.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Hi,

As you don’t have the operating system installation disk, it is recommended you contact HP to ask for a installation disk or take a factory mode to fix corrupt files.

Thanks.

Monday, August 11, 2008 7:46 AM