none
Windows Update Crashes explorer.exe RRS feed

• General discussion

•  Whenever i try to open windows update, i get an error saying that Windows Explorer has stopped working. i cannot use windows update beacause of this.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:23 PM

All replies

• I am getting the exact same error, hence the reason I am here!
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:00 AM
  • ditto same problem. gosh dang it. it is so frustrating...
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Did you guys upgrade or do clean installs of Windows 7?
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:28 AM
  • I installed on a clean hard drive.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Same problem here on a clean install of 64 bit.  Just seemed to start happening today though. I managed to get it to open by right clicking on the Windows Update link in the start menu and Running it as administrator.  That seemed to make it work like normal again even after going back into it without running it as administrator.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:14 AM
  • I am having the same issue as well.  Selecting "run as admin" does not resolve the issue for me.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Certainly happening here.  It seems related to the Windows Installer Service, as any attempt to install software that uses causes the crash of Explorer.exe
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Ran a chkdsk on all my drives and I no longer have this issue.  I can not verify if that is what fixed this issue.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:02 AM
  • "run as admin" doesnt work for me and i did a clean install

Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:04 AM
  • I'm getting this too...don't think it was always like this. Chksdk didn't fix it for me.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:14 AM
  • I was having this problem all morning today... and then the Windows Update issue resolved itself. Unfortunately, the application installers were still crashing, so I ended up doing a system restore, and that fixed it.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:17 AM
  • GoodThings2Life™ said:

I was having this problem all morning today... and then the Windows Update issue resolved itself. Unfortunately, the application installers were still crashing, so I ended up doing a system restore, and that fixed it.

Thanks this got by system back to a usable point.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:11 PM
  • watsonn.ohio.edu said:

Same problem here on a clean install of 64 bit.  Just seemed to start happening today though. I managed to get it to open by right clicking on the Windows Update link in the start menu and Running it as administrator.  That seemed to make it work like normal again even after going back into it without running it as administrator.

This did not work for me on a clean install of 32 bit.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I had the same problem. Every time I ran update I got a message that explorer had crashed. I did a system restore to a time when update wasn't crashing then downloaded and installed all my updates. Checked that update was working and made a restore point Then I reinstalled my GeForce FX5500 drivers and checked again. All is well. (The video drivers were for Vista and I thought they might have contributed to the problem)
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 7:04 PM
  • I also have this problem, and it started on saturday. Everything was working fine before that, but then all of a sudden it stopped. I am wondering if there was an update that was installed overnight, or another conflict. The only other software i have installed recently is the Office 2007, and that was a little while ago, and i think everything else worked after that.

I have heard of a few people had complete installer crashes now as well as the update problem. Whenever they try to install or uninstall anything or windows update, their explorer.exe crashes.

Has anyone found anything new on this,  i really do not want to system restore it.

Monday, January 19, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Chalk another one up to having this issue.  It just started this afternoon.  I try to run Windows Update and it just says Explorer crashed.  It restarts it like I would expect but when I try again same thing.

I tried to Run as administrator, same thing.

I ran a chkdsk and tried, same thing.

I disable System Restore after I install Windows so I can't try that.

I'm running a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit on the following hardware:

Dell XPS720HC
    Intel E6850 dual-core @ 3.0GHz
    4GB RAM
    Nvidia 8800GT PCI-e with 512MB

I recently installed the 181.80 drivers from the Nvidia site after I began having driver issues with the ones originally installed from Windows Update.

BTW, when Explorer does restart and I get my toolbar back I notice a new icon which says AVG is running a scan.  That icon is not there normally and I did not set AVG to begin scanning.

[Edit] Right after I made this port I was able to start Windows Update like normal so I rebooted by PC and tried and it went back to failing.  I thought maybe AVG might have something to do with it so I disabled the Resident Shield and tried and it continued to fail.

Here is the information from the Event Viewer just in case it might help someone figure this out:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7000.0, time stamp: 0x494324ea
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7000.0, time stamp: 0x49434898
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000ebbaa
    Faulting process id: 0x7c8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01c979e652e46e98
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: e7121db8-e5d9-11dd-8fc8-001e4fb3dbd6
    Monday, January 19, 2009 3:23 AM
  • I had the same problem today.

Did a system restore to 2 days ago and it seemed to fix it.

Kurt
    Monday, January 19, 2009 4:00 AM
  • The consensus so far is that this was caused by a faulty update to Windows Defender on the 16th/17th.

More details can be found here.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 4:02 AM
  • The registry edit in the thread linked above fixed the issue for me.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 7:16 AM
  • My problem reappeared today out of the blue and I followed the link that GoodThings2Life posted. The simple registry edit solved my problem and Update now works just fine. Thanks.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Yep the reg edit is the fix
    See this post:

Here
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:22 AM
  • The reg fix worked for me for half the day and then windows update started crashing windows explorer again
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:19 AM

• Like others, the issue came back for me after the initial registry changes.  However, using the link above I was able to stop the issue again and hopefully in a more permanent way.  We shall see in a day or two.  :)
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Deleting all the temp files in this folder fixed the problem for me:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Temp
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:22 AM