none
vista won't shut down

Question

• I am having problems shutting down with vista.  It says its shutting down but it goes to a black screen and that's it.  I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds till it shuts down.  i don't know what the problem is.  Initially it worked fine, but lately it has not been shutting down.  I don't know what the problem is.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:14 AM

All replies

•  

Can you specify your machine description ? It's a branded PC or assembled ? And VISTA is preloaded or what ?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:13 AM
  • hello, I am not the original poster, but have the same problem.  Vista Home Premium was preinstalled on my Toshiba Satellite laptop.  When I tell it to shut down, the running programs close, then I get the message "shutting down" and the Vista symbol turning, but it will not actually shut down until I press the power button.  I have left it at the "shutting down" screen for over a half hour before giving up.  I run a good registry utility frequently.  Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Linda

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Hi generally when "Windows" won't Shut Down, it is "Looking" for something? IE: A non-existent network connection, an unavailable "Share" or the such like... or sometimes it is waiting for some sort of "Reply" thats not showing up on the main screen... sometimes a "carriage return", or "Enter" is all that it wants.. so try tapping the enter key a couple of times at the closing down screen?

Also make sure all ya ACPI  BIOS settings are all good...  it may be a conflict?.

Sometimes it is a card refusing to "Let Go" of its IRQ ... bad driver etc..

Check all ya Drivers ensure they are the latest...

Try moving cards into different slots. even though they may have worked with XP B4.

Try taking out ya Cards, and replace one by one, shutting down in between each replacement, see if it is a hardware/Driver conflict..

Try using Task Manager and Killing relevant process(es), NOT explorer,  one at a time B4 ya use the "Shut Down" perhaps it is a program that will not close.. this way ya can isolate the one? thats stopping it from shutting down.

Hope this may be some help.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 1:34 AM
  • one of ur services is not shutting down properly...i think ! u r going to have to identify (by trial/error) which one !

else try this : create a system restore point FIRST, and try this if u r comfortable working with the registry.

Start Regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control. Click on the "Control" Folder. Select "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" Right click on it and select Modify. the default value is ( i think) 12000. Setting it to a lower 4 digit value,  will make your PC shutdown faster, but you could end up losing data, so use this tweak judiciously. I suggest 6000.

but i repeat, use this only if u feel comfortable about it.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:45 PM
  • Cartel ...OK well I looked at that "Error message" it's a bit obscure... BUT I did see an svchost.exe .. now unless this is a legit one .. I susspect a Virus.. ya see many if not all virus use an svchost process to get out to the net... so maybe ya indeed have a Virus? probably a Trojan?

Try going into "Safe" mode with networking .. and check all ya settings etc under Safe Mode... and check ya haven't got a virus or the like?

Thursday, July 05, 2007 12:00 AM
  • Cartel ...... Does this error repeat? I mean does it happen all the time... or ONLY after you do or use a certain program etc? More info please.
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 12:03 AM
  • sure,

it's an hp pavillion a1330, with amd processor.  I upgraded to vista as I met all the hardware requirements.  had no problems with xp but now with vista.. have a whole bunch of problems...

Saturday, July 07, 2007 12:54 AM
  • From googling it, it looks like this system uses the ATI Xpress 200 onboard graphics.

Have you tried putting a pci-e graphics up card into the system / install the driver / reboot to see if it can shut down normally?

If not, sounds like a BIOS workaround may be needed.

Secondly, the OEM didn't provide Vista drivers for this model so it doesn't look like this model was tested with Vista.

Is it an issue if you just put the system into Sleep (S3) instead of opting to shut down?

Saturday, July 07, 2007 9:30 PM
  • About the System Restore Points: system restore will NOT work when the pc cannot restart itself. Been there, done that, it failed.

I have about the same problem. Came out of nowhere. No new software between working/not working.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:27 PM
  • i've got the same problem, i'm quite sure i didn't installed any software in my laptop and it happened suddenly, now i can't turn it off.

Did someone get the solution?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:46 AM
  • + System

- Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-EventSystem
    [ Guid] {899daace-4868-4295-afcd-9eb8fb497561}
    [ EventSourceName] EventSystem
    - EventID 4621
    [ Qualifiers] 49152
    Version 0
    Level 2
    Task 16
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2007-12-18T21:10:36.000Z
    EventRecordID 730
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 0
    [ ThreadID] 0
    Channel Application
    Computer RCC
    Security

- EventData

param1 80070005
    param2 EventSystem.EventSubscription
    param3 {CEB8B221-89C5-41A8-98CE-79B413BF150B}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

I have got the exact same event error at least once a day since buying my Dell Quad with Vista Extreme preinstalled in mid December.  I just want to know how to remove this event so that I don't get this error again.

It is the only serious error I am getting.

Friday, February 15, 2008 6:12 PM
  • I have the same issue. PC simply won't power off on shutdown. It does sometimes, not others. I would 75% of the time it is ok.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 8:30 PM
  • I am haing this prblem too. Did you ever get it figured out. The message says it is due tocompatiblity issues with vista and mccafee. And on my othervista computer that has pc-cillian virus software does the same but vista is not compatible with pc-cillan. They are both dell computers (xps and inspiron)bought within the last 8 months. Dell can't seem to figure it out. Have you recieved any input that might help me? 

Saturday, March 29, 2008 4:31 PM
  • My computer is actually ok now.
    I reset the power settings in control panel, updated my nforce sata drivers and now my computer is fine. Very strange. Have you installed SP1 yet as there may be a fix in there, not sure! But it is fixable as mine is now fine.
    Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Ok, I see where some of you's guys are having problems with Anti-Virus proggies... I have found that for Vista 32 & 64 bit, that Symantec CORPORATE Version of AV seems to be the*BEST*, imho, anyway... so get a copy from www.thepiratebay.org ..   I have NEVER had any problems with it up to date, however ensure ya get a "Vista" version.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 12:01 AM
  • My wife and I both bought new laptops, hers a HP, mine a Compaq, both with Vista Home.  Neither one will shut down,  started within a few days of bringing it home.  Vista is just broken and I don't believe that Microsoft intends to fix it.  i was hoping that the service pack would take care of it but i belive its been pulled back.  From what I hear from people I know who have vista, everyone is having this problem.

Thursday, April 03, 2008 2:23 AM
  • Can you help me ? I am getting the same problem. How did you solve it ?

Best.

Paddy

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 11:55 AM
  • Hi, well I sorted it out by working thru the things that may cause the problem...

First try to elliminate any programs that may cause this...  use msconfig and disable all/any startup programs... see if that helps if it does... then simply re-add the startup programs one at a time & restart shutdown, untill the problem disappears/appears then thats the problem...

Usually when an operating system will not shutdown etc, it is "Looking" for something a reply or  answer from a non-existant or faulty device or driver.

Do the same for services.. Make sure that all M$ "Fixes" & "Updates" are done...  USB devices can be a bear... so check for latest drivers for these in fact ALL devices should have the most up-to-date drivers always. remove, and re-add one at a time any/all periferial devices and see if that helps etc.. it is simply a matter of trial and error 'till ya find the culprit. Good luck
    Tuesday, July 08, 2008 10:37 PM
  • I have almost the same problem, I'm explaining it there:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/ed3b9bff-c5a1-45a9-88e8-d7dab7244577/
    Well I will try to disable things in Msconfig but first I'd like to know if there's another way to fix this
    gz
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Good luck clearing this.  There are probably a 100 different causes for this code.  Most computers with this error code keep working so they go unresolved.  The BIG problem is that while there are unresolved issues like this, the computer has security weaknesses that someone will take advantage of.

As long as Microsoft maintains this level of quality, the tech support folks in IT have secure jobs.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:54 PM