none
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller - drivers stop working after reboot

Question

• Hello!
    I just installed Windows 7 and it seems awesome! The biggest problem so far is with audio drivers. I have MSI KT6V LSR motherboard (using VIA KT600 north bridge and VIA VT8237 South Bridge). I got the sound to work by installing drivers, but after I reboot the computer, sound didn't work anymore. The volume icon in notification area shows a red cross, and when I click it, Windows starts a windows "Detecting problems". After that, it says that reinstalling the driver might help. 

Sometimes it helps, sometimes not, but anyway after reboot the sound stops working again. In device manager it says about device Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have tried many drivers, at least Realtek's and MSI's own, and every driver has worked at first, but then stopped working after reboot. What to do? I am confused.

Edit: My mobo is already pretty old, and I don't know if the are going to make Windows 7 drivers at all, I tried to install Vista drivers in compatibility mode, but no matter what I did, or how I installed the drivers, they stop working after reboot.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Drasa , have you tried Realtek's Drivers from there site for W7? if not then go here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ and download the ones for windows 7 also make sure the rest of your drivers are working.

Experience is Use/Knowledge and understanding that Use/Knowledge is the key to Experience. -JJTech
    Windows 7 RC: Remember now this OS is not final and is Subject to all kinds of things that can very on different hardware. -JJTech

My System:
    OS: Windows 7 RC Built-7100 64Bit, Mobo: Gigabyte Socket:AM2 GA-M61P-S3, CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core +6000 @ 3.10GHZ, Ram: Kingston 2x2GB PC6400 DDR2, GFX: Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 3870, SFX: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Monday, July 27, 2009 11:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Drasa , have you tried Realtek's Drivers from there site for W7? if not then go here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ and download the ones for windows 7 also make sure the rest of your drivers are working.

Experience is Use/Knowledge and understanding that Use/Knowledge is the key to Experience. -JJTech
    Windows 7 RC: Remember now this OS is not final and is Subject to all kinds of things that can very on different hardware. -JJTech

My System:
    OS: Windows 7 RC Built-7100 64Bit, Mobo: Gigabyte Socket:AM2 GA-M61P-S3, CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core +6000 @ 3.10GHZ, Ram: Kingston 2x2GB PC6400 DDR2, GFX: Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 3870, SFX: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Monday, July 27, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Yes device problems can be easly solved by installing the latest drivers from the manufacturer
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Oops, I said I tried only the Vista drivers, but apparently the same drivers are for both Vista and Win7. So, yes, I have tried them. (Installing those was real pain! Windows asked 33 times if I was sure to install since the drivers were not supported by Microsoft! Apparently 33 times because there were 33 *.inf files to install.) And the problem still doesn't go away.

Actually, now I tried this: I just clicked "disable" in device manager fot Realtek Audio Controller and then "enable" - sound started to work. It doesn't help with the reboot problem still.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:41 AM
  • Oops, I said I tried only the Vista drivers, but apparently the same drivers are for both Vista and Win7. So, yes, I have tried them. (Installing those was real pain! Windows asked 33 times if I was sure to install since the drivers were not supported by Microsoft! Apparently 33 times because there were 33 *.inf files to install.) And the problem still doesn't go away.

Actually, now I tried this: I just clicked "disable" in device manager fot Realtek Audio Controller and then "enable" - sound started to work. It doesn't help with the reboot problem still.
    I have a feeling as the Age of your motherboard maybe playing a factor in this after all it is a Socket A from the early 2000's and i know from experience that age does play a roll on hardware as i too am using a Socket A PC with a Duron 1.3Ghz but its only being used for a light load server and its on the fritz and i have a replacement for it already to be put together but as for that old pc its only using a text based Unix os and ive had lockups and other things go wrong...So If you can i Recommend upgrading :)

My System:
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:51 AM
  • I know that this thread is old as hell but I recently had the same sort of problem with my motherboad's (Asus K8V-VM) onboard Realtek ALC861 AC'97 audio drivers. I'd install the Windows 7 64-bit drivers and reboot when the driver installation would prompt me to do so and when it would start up the audio drivers would work fine. As soon as I'd reboot they'd go dead again. I solved this problem by going into my startup programs, using CCleaner, and disabling the Realtek.exe that I found. After I disabled it I restarted my computer and wham, bam. Realtek drivers are fully operational. Hope this helps!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:23 AM