none
Hide Administrator Account-back door needed W7 RRS feed

• Question

• I need to hide the administrator account in W7. I just want one user account to show. I changed the registery to hide the admin account-no problem. But, I need a backdoor if I can not use the users profile. (logon) Control Alt Del does not work in the W7 world as it did with XP. Since this is a local machine I am unable to change the user. Suggestions?

JAldridge

Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:36 AM

Answers

• You can log on with the Administrator account when booting in Safe Mode although the account is disabled.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:34 AM

All replies

• Just so I know - Is the "Administrator" account you are referring to the main Admin user (the one that is disabled by default and bypasses UAC)? or is this a new Admin user such as created during the Windows install/setup?

I think I understand what you're chasing. The old "Do not use Welcome" option in XP gave you a CTRL-ALT-DEL box followed by a "Username" and "Password" box (and "Domain" if you are in such an environment) - you want to replicate that functionality? How about this: I take it you know about the policy settings "Do not display last user name"? An option would be to not have any user's listed and force entering a username and password on logon. That way you hide ALL users and "Windows 7" displays the equivalent of the "Other User" box on the logon screen. This can be set in "Local Policy".

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:28 AM
  • You can log on with the Administrator account when booting in Safe Mode although the account is disabled.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:34 AM