none
(WVSP1) Media Center won't launch using the RC6 Remote Control

Question

• In all HP computers, Windows Media Center won't launch using the RC6 Remote Control after install Windows Vista SP1. The other buttons works correctly so, seem to be a easy to fix issue. Any ideas to start?

Hint: Associated registry data:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

Confirmed Affected Models:

• HP Pavilion Entertainment PC TX1000
    • HP Pavilion Entertainment PC TX2000
    • HP Pavilion Entertainment PC DV6000
    • HP Pavilion Entertainment PC DV9000
    Friday, March 28, 2008 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hello:

Your post has been one of the 2 only helpful posts i have found about this issue... Is this really true??? I have a HP tx1332 tablet pc and on my remote control the only button that doesn't work is the green media center one... Why is this??? How can I fix it???

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:44 PM
  •  Gustavo Pino wrote:

Hello:

Your post has been one of the 2 only helpful posts i have found about this issue... Is this really true??? I have a HP tx1332 tablet pc and on my remote control the only button that doesn't work is the green media center one... Why is this??? How can I fix it???

Sorry Gustavo, we're still searching a solution for this problem as not only you have this problem but all the owners of HP Pavilion Entertainment PCs who updated Windows Vista to Service Pack 1, so don't worry. Microsoft and HP are fully aware of this issue and we're helping to solve it.

Stay tuned.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:39 PM
    • Method One

Click Start -> Default Programs -> Set Program Access and Computer Defaults -> Custom

Choose a default media player -> Select Windows Media Center

Restart the notebook (required)

Check your Windows Media Center button on the Remote Control

Only try the following method if the first one don't work properly:

Attention!! This fix may not work properly on your computer

• Method Two

1. Please download the following file: http://www.enccompany.com/microsoft/windowsvista/sp1/HP/RC6_fix_2.0.zip

2. Unzip the contents

3. Run the file RC6_fix.exe with Administrator Privileges

4. Follow the on-screen instructions

5. Enjoy again your Windows Media Center button

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:01 AM
  • Hey Enc company.  I have an HP DV9596xx laptop computer with Vista Ultimate x64.  I have not yet put SP1 on yet I have put all the recommended HP SP's from their web site which included a fix for the quick launch buttons and I now have the same problem.  My remote will NOT launch media center any longer and I used it a lot.  I have tried your recommended methods and they did NOT work for me.  I looked at the zip file and read through the .bat file and my PC does not even have the folder refereced cd %programfiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\.  I am guessing it is because I have the x64 version.  Any ideas?  Please help if you can.  Thanks

Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:49 PM
  • I looked around and found the files you replaced in the zip file on my x64 machine in "program files (x86)" so I performed the steps in your batch file hoping they were compatiple and it worked!  I would recommed you produce a fix specific for the x64 machines.  Thanks for the patched files!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Hello Enc Company,

Thanks a lot for "green button solution"!

But... Unfortunately in my case it's working only partially. What I mean?

Firstly I have tried Method No.1 - no success, then implemented Method No.2 - Green buuton started to work immidiately after RC6_fix.exe. Then I decided to reboot my computer, and after restarting, computer gives me an error message, stating that program QLBCTRL.EXE is from Unknown publisher, and asking me what to do? Even I selected "Run" and removed a checkbox "Always ask..." - that doesn't help. Green Button from RC6 is again not functioning! Sad

As a additional side effect - Quick Buttons doesn't work anymore! Sad

I was able to restore Quick Buttons only after deleting your files and renaming my old files from backup to their original names.

Something is wrong with this fix, sorry! Can you please take another look on it? Thanks in advance!

My configuration:

HP Pavilion DV6645en

Quick Button driver version 6.40 B (12-2007)

P.S. Sorry for my bad English... Sad

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:18 AM
  •  Sergey Ilnitsky wrote:

Hello Enc Company,

Thanks a lot for "green button solution"!

But... Unfortunately in my case it's working only partially. What I mean?

Firstly I have tried Method No.1 - no success, then implemented Method No.2 - Green buuton started to work immidiately after RC6_fix.exe. Then I decided to reboot my computer, and after restarting, computer gives me an error message, stating that program QLBCTRL.EXE is from Unknown publisher, and asking me what to do? Even I selected "Run" and removed a checkbox "Always ask..." - that doesn't help. Green Button from RC6 is again not functioning! Sad

As a additional side effect - Quick Buttons doesn't work anymore! Sad

I was able to restore Quick Buttons only after deleting your files and renaming my old files from backup to their original names.

Something is wrong with this fix, sorry! Can you please take another look on it? Thanks in advance!

My configuration:

HP Pavilion DV6645en

Quick Button driver version 6.40 B (12-2007)

P.S. Sorry for my bad English... Sad

Sorry to hear that. I advice you to wait while HP release a new version of QLB compatible with Windows Vista SP1. I'm still searching a temporal fix that can work correctly in all the computers, but unfortunately I haven't access to the full source of QLB.

But at least we know what is wrong, don't we? 

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:55 PM
  •  Enc Company wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I advice you to wait while HP release a new version of QLB compatible with Windows Vista SP1. I'm still searching a temporal fix that can work correctly in all the computers, but unfortunately I haven't access to the full source of QLB.

OK. But how to be sure, that HP really knows about this issue? Does they read this forum on regular basis? Smile

Anyway, if you find a solution before HP officially launches new version of drivers - please post it here! Will be waiting for it. And thank you in advance! Smile

Saturday, May 03, 2008 10:48 PM
  •  Enc Company wrote:

Later additions:

Enc Company!

I just compared file versions in your archive with my actually installed.

For example, let take a file QLBCTRL.exe.

Your file verion: 6.1.2.9

Fie size: 156 KB

My file version: 6.3.9.1

File size: : 197 KB

My question is very simple: could you please do the same trick, as you did with previous file versions to make them work, if I send you my files? (I mean my newer file versions!)

If it's possible - please let me know, how to send them to you! Thank you in advance!

Saturday, May 03, 2008 10:58 PM
  • HP Pavilion dv9200 CTO Notebook PC
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit on an Intel platform.

The registry key is there (along with others), but none of the fixes in this thread worked.  All of the buttons and features work except for that green (windows media center) button.  I'm at a loss..

Saturday, May 31, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Hi!

I cam across this solution to the disfunctional Media Centre button on the HP RC6 remote and gave it a try. The Method 1 solution did not work for me.  The Method 2 solution did work for me, but as soon as I reboot my computer I have to run the fix again.  Can you explain the steps to fix this manually and permanently?

HP dv9847 running Vista Home Premium.

Cheers,

IR

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:32 PM
  • My problem is similar - but not entirely the same.
    I have a Dell Dimension E510 desktop computer with Windows XP Media Center, Edition 2005
       Media Center version 5.1.2715.3011(xpsp(wmbla).061009-1511

A few days ago - my remote just stopped working.  None of the buttons work.  I assumed it was the battery (which it probably was as I still had the original batteries) and changed them.  However, the remote still does not work.  The infrared light blinks when pressing the buttons - but nothing happens.  I tried resetting my TV signal - but that didn't make a difference.

Any ideas on what I can do to get my remote to work?  Thank you.
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:40 AM
  • I just had this same issue, for me the solution was pretty simple. I had installed QLB from my model specific xp drivers list 6.40 F1 I believe. I then went back and searched for drivers for dv6000 on hp's site and chose the dv6000z CTO model (AMD Version, which mine is) and found a QLB 6.30J listed. I installed that and buttons all work properly now.

6.30J found here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-57820-1&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=3224052&dlc=en
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Hello, ENC Company -

I have an HP Pavilion DV6700US Entertainment Notebook PC running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. As you know, this laptop comes with Quick Play (QP) buttons above the keyboard as well as a remote control (model RC1762302/00).

The laptop works fine, including the QP buttons. However, although I just inserted a brand new battery, the remote control does not work properly. To be clear, the DVD player works and I can launch Windows Media Center and all the other software with no problem from the laptop. The problem is with the remote.

The remote is sending an IR signal to the laptop. I know this because the POWER (on/off) button on the remote does suspend the laptop. However, it is the only button on the remote which has any effect. None of the OTHER buttons on remote work.

For example: The QP button does nothing. The DVD button does nothing. The Windows Media Center button does nothing. The volume and mute buttons do nothing. The arrow buttons do nothing. The OK button does nothing. But all of these fuunctions work perfectly when done on the laptop directly. I think you get the point.

I have tried to "reset" the remote by pressing what I think is the reset button above the battery. This has no effect. I also employed both "Method 1" and "Method 2" above. After a reboot, these also had no effect.

All I want to do is play DVDs on my laptop using the remote control. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks!

- Shawn
    Wed July 26, 2009
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:55 AM
  • I was hoping i could find where to get drivers for the remote for XP. i know that its compatible cause my specific model is sold with them. i recently had to RE install windows XP Media Center Edition version 2002 windows pack 2. and cant seem to find XP drivers ANYWHERE for my RC1762302/00 media center remote.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:05 AM
  • In all HP computers, Windows Media Center won't launch using the RC6 Remote Control after install Windows Vista SP1. The other buttons works correctly so, seem to be a easy to fix issue. Any ideas to start?

Hint: Associated registry data:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

Confirmed Affected Models:

• HP Pavilion Entertainment PC TX1000
    • HP Pavilion Entertainment PC TX2000
    • HP Pavilion Entertainment PC DV6000
    • HP Pavilion Entertainment PC DV9000

Hi,
    Its been a long time since this original post, but still I see no fool proof solution to this problem. If there is any one who has come up with a solution, PLS HELP.
    I am also facing the same problem where the media center button wont work from the remote.  So if theres any one whos got the solution pls help me.

Thanks in advance
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 3:26 PM
    • Method Two

1. Please download the following file: http://www.enccompany.com/microsoft/windowsvista/sp1/HP/RC6_fix_2.0.zip

2. Unzip the contents

3. Run the file RC6_fix.exe with Administrator Privileges

4. Follow the on-screen instructions

5. Enjoy again your Windows Media Center button

This method worked on my HP dv2550se running Windows 7 Pro.  I couldn't get any results the first time trying it - then realized I forgot to run it as Administrator.  Once I did that, it copied the file, and then a window popped up saying there were known compatibility issues with QPCTRL.exe, but the WMC button worked on the remote, so I clicked Cancel, and all is good.
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:39 AM
  • I think HP don't care to solve this bug. I update QuickLaunch to all version until 6.50.17.1 (sp49104.exe) and only the preinstalled version works, but it's not compatible with SP1.

I chatted more and more times with HP support and they tell me to use recovery disks and format...
    I have an HP dv9252eu, and after a recovery I get all working because it restores Vista with NO SP, the only (unusable) configuration that works...

Why HP don't want to solve this bug?

Sunday, July 04, 2010 8:17 PM