none
Code 39

Question

• I am receiving a Code 39 error (Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing.) for four hardware devices:

DVD-RW drive
    Sony DVD RW DRU-810A ATA Device

DVD-ROM drive
    JLMS DVD-ROM XJ-HD166 ATA Device

Network Adapter
    Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller (NDIS6.0)

Wireless Network Adapter
    NETGEAR WG111 802.11g Wireless USB2.0 Adapter

All of these devices were working before I re-ran the installataion program to attempt to fix an issue where Internet Explorer would no longer work.

Any ideas on what I can do to make these work?  I have tried to re-install the devices/drivers but get the same error.  I cannot run the install CDs for the DVD drives or the wirless adapter.  And I cannot get out to the internet to download updated drivers either.

Thanks,
    Brian

Monday, June 19, 2006 4:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

This sounds like no fun. :( I apologize for what might seem an obvious thing, but have you also tried the "roll back driver" option in Device Manager for these devices? If you can get it to roll back for your ATAPI media devices, you should then be able to repair the others.

If rolling back isn't available, it looks like your USB bus is still working - you could also try using a USB removable device to grab the driver on another computer for the Netgear card and then use Windows Update to grab the others.

Monday, June 19, 2006 8:31 PM
  • Hi Saska:

I'm sorry if I am doing this forum incorrectly but I have never done this before.  I came across your reply to BrianNVA in a search for "Windows Code 39".  Brian wrote about this problem and I am experiencing the same problem now on both my dvd rw and cd-rom drives.  I read your suggestions to Brian but, unfortunately, I don't understand any of it.  I am self-taught and trial-and-error  when it comes to the computer and I don't understand the lingo of a lot of things.  I have pretty much overloaded my computer with things I have no idea of whether it is needed or not.  I am ready to crash the whole thing and start over again. 

If you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you tell me what or where I should go to fix this problem and many other problems I am having with my computer (even if and how I would crash it).  I have looked everywhere I can and don't know where else to look. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Sue

Friday, June 30, 2006 4:13 AM
  •                  

Note: anything I said could aply to Windows Vista. 

Hi there.
     This is my first time in a forum, so forgive me if I do something wrong. As you see I came here because I was in the same problem (Code 39). I almost  got crazy trying to solve this problem.It took me 1 day and a half to find the answer. Before I installed an audio driver from  www.viaarena.com (the manufacter of my video card an other things on my mainboard) the CD-Rom, the Intel modem; and, Plug and Play software device enumerator worked per fectly. Well, the first thing I tried was edit the registry, but it didn't work in my case so I almost was going to reinstall Windows XP. Then for curioucity I downloaded the same software that destabilize my system (but an older version), then SETUP asked  me to uninstall the version already installed; and, I clicked yes. After that my speakers worked again, and so did everything else.
    So my point is if you know the problem was a bad driver or something involve with Windows' system, and cannot be deleted via Add and Remove programs,
    try using the setup of the software that caused all the trouble to solve the problem. Before I finish I want to say that I was in a few forums and they forgot to mention this posible way to solve Code 39.
       Bye, and no thanks from those who had the same thing, it was my pleasure to help.  

Monday, July 03, 2006 10:46 PM
  • Device drivers can be checked or rolled back by going to the Device Manager. Open the Start menu, right-click on Computer menu listing and select Manage. Alternatively, you can go to the Control Panel and select Computer Managment from the Administrative Tools section.

In the computer managment console, there's an option to view the Device Manager. In there, you'll see a tree style view of your computer, and the devices connected to it. Devices that have issues - such as the Code 39 error - will have a special icon - usual a yellow triangle or red stop sign. You can right click on the item that's got problems and select Properties. On the Properties dialog box, there's a tab called Driver - and there's an option to "Roll Back" the drivers for that device - this takes the current driver and removes it and replaces it with a previous version of the driver.

Of course, this only works if there was, at one point, a working driver that was updated or replaced.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 10:55 AM
  • i am getting a code 39 on my cd rom and it not working how can i fix it
    Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:02 AM
  • I am also receiving a Code 39 (Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing.

DVD-RW drive

Sony DVD RW DRU 530A

This device was operating okay until a few days ago. 

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 2:26 AM
  • I don't know if this will help any of you but I talked to a tech at Toshiba and he refered me to this article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 It explains how to delete upper and lower filters in your computers registry. There are two options, you can go through the steps yourself or you can download a program that will do it for you. I downloaded the program and it worked perfectly. In my case the thing that caused my CD-rom to stop working was downloading the newest version of Windows Media Player. But I have been told that downloading or deleting any program dealing with your CD-rom can cause this problem. Hope this helps!
    Wednesday, October 04, 2006 4:25 PM
  • I got the same Code 39 message concerning the NEC DV-5800A and Sony CD-RW CRX140E.  The troubleshoot did not work.  Now I cannot read any cds or dvds.
    Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:40 AM
  • Could you read any CD's or DVD's before you went through the troubleshoot?  Also if you downloaded the automatic troubleshoot you should be able to undo it by opening the program again and telling it to undo.
    Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:43 PM
  •  Meg1104 wrote:
    I don't know if this will help any of you but I talked to a tech at Toshiba and he refered me to this article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 It explains how to delete upper and lower filters in your computers registry. There are two options, you can go through the steps yourself or you can download a program that will do it for you. I downloaded the program and it worked perfectly. In my case the thing that caused my CD-rom to stop working was downloading the newest version of Windows Media Player. But I have been told that downloading or deleting any program dealing with your CD-rom can cause this problem. Hope this helps!

You lifesaver! I had been trying to work out what was going on when I suddenly got a code 39 today - tried everything, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, trying to download drivers, but nothing worked. Till I tried this. Now everything is working again. Brilliant, thank you so much!

Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:27 PM
  • Thank you loads Meg 1104, i've been trying to sort this problem all day.  It took about 4 minutes to resolve the problem following your link. 
    Friday, October 20, 2006 7:43 PM
  • Thanks Meg! This helped me a ton! you rock :)
    Monday, November 06, 2006 2:05 AM
  • My DVD/CD Rom was working fine until I plugged in a USB storage reader, to read a memory card from a camera.  Started getting the Code 39.  Deleting the upper and lower CD filters in the registry took less than 5 minutes and has my DVD/CD ROM working again.  Only had to replace my DVD/CD Burning software (but still looking for a fix to replace the hair I pulled out trying to solve this problem!!)  Thank you so much for this posting!!
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 4:03 AM
  • I have had problems installing Netgear WG111 adapters on both of my sons brand new computers. I've spoken to tech support at Dell and at Netgear and have been informed it's not compatible with Vista yet. Apparently there is a "patch" in the works. In the meantime, other options are ethernet cables from your modem or an additional modem directly onto the desk top. A friend of mine said his modem works fine with Vista. Not sure why an adapter won't. The adapter was recommended when I bought the new desk top. Too bad it doesn't work!
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 3:20 AM
  • I too had a similar problem. My CD/DVD drive disappeared. I did the registry thing and have now got a CD writing capability but still no DVD read or write. Can anyone suggesst how to proceed next?

Running win xp - checked for driver updates - uninstalled media player 11 and rolled back to ver 10. Media player says I have a dvd player but Power cinema can't find one. When I insert a dvd, nothing happens.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:28 PM
  • Bought a new machine running Vista. Transferred the internet adapter Netgear WG111 but to no result. There was just an indication that there was an error with the device in the device manager list. Hardwired the modem to the computer to search the net for an answer.

Found a patch on a French site, downloaded and installed. Experienced various system crashes, including blue screens, continues auto reboots etc after that. Uninstalled the patch and access the net through hardwire. Will wait with the next experiment till the official patch comes....Take some advice from this, it is not funny to have this with a new machine! 

Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:34 AM
  • Hi saska,

I followed the directions on the manual way to delete upper and lower filters. When I located the correct address I could only find the lower filters. Am I in the wrong place. Not sure really what to do. I have been reading as much as I can. I also found a software called registrysmart, they claim that their software can fix the issue.

Thanks,

jkeys27

Saturday, February 24, 2007 9:21 PM
  • Meg1104 thank you you rock! For info I had code 39 when trying to install a scanner and a USB camera. I removed the lower limit from the key for 'Imaging Devices' (6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F) and it worked like a charm after many days frustration.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:32 PM
  • I Had the same problem but I asked for some help from HP and they gave me this

limk

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553

Just folow the steps and you will be ok after that

Worked for me

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:10 AM
  • Meg1104,
    After one week, about 20 hours of fruitless searching for drivers, multiple rounds of uninstalling, rebooting, system restoring and rollback attempts, 1 useless customer service email and two times being tempted to restore my system....

I have to tell you that your link saved my computer from certain rage-filled destruction as well as my sanity.

May Buddha/God/Jehovah/Allah/Krishna/Jupiter/Yaweh bless you and your family for generations to come. May you have immeasurable heaps of blessings bestowed upon your house!!

For those of you who are going to use this link - do the automated option. FAST AND PERFECT!!!

Lisa
    Friday, March 02, 2007 5:51 AM
  • Brian:

I am having the same problem with my cdrom and my dvd read/write drives.  I am stuck as well.  I can't reinstall anything because my drives don't work.  I have checked the driver files and they seem to be OK.  I don't think I have a corrupt file problem.  If  you hear of a fix please advise and I will do the same.  I made a big mistake upgrading to Vista from XP (sp3).  So far Vista has acted like Windows 98! - Nothing works!

Sunday, March 04, 2007 1:57 PM
  • XP pro, DVD-ROM disappeared after trying to install a digital camera.  The camera didn't work so I uninstalled it.  Then the CD-ROM disappeared.  Also, while trying the camera, the system crashed and ran Scandisk.

I do not have any UpperFilter or LowerFilter entries.  The "314060" guided repair says there are no such entries and I verified this.  The driver files are cdrom.sys, redbook.sys, and storprop.dll. 

Maybe the driver files are really corrupted (after scandisk)?  Isn't there some way I can just download new copies of these files?

Also -- when Scandisk runs (XP pro) the screen says it can be cancelled, but how?

Bought the Vaio seconhand so no install disks.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 10:12 PM
  • I have the same issue.  I am running Windows 2003 Server.  I followed the link, but my registry does not contain the upperfilters nor lowerfilters registry.  Going crazy trying to figure this out.  I've uninstalled the device drivers and reinstalled them.  My event viewer says this (logs this on every boot-up):

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

Cdrom

imapi

redbook

Saturday, March 17, 2007 8:04 AM
  • BUMP....

I have the same issue.  I am running Windows 2003 Server.  I followed the link, but my registry does not contain the upperfilters nor lowerfilters registry.  Going crazy trying to figure this out.  I've uninstalled the device drivers and reinstalled them.  My event viewer says this (logs this on every boot-up):

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

Cdrom

imapi

redbook

Saturday, March 17, 2007 8:46 AM
  • I came home from work to find that my cd-rom and dvd-rom drives are no longer working,

HC2493Z KOU974A SCSI CdRom Device

LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S ATA Device.
    I have no clue what-so-ever what happend or how to fix it, I went to the device manager. I don't have the option of doing a "roll-back" and all the other metheds are too complex/risky for me to try.
    Is there something.... simple that I can do to fix my problem. If all else fails I'll have to bring it to a computer repair shop.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 5:00 AM
  •  

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. Recently, I noticed the error of "Please insert correct CD/DVD and restart application" when I try to run applications that require DVD-ROMS or CD-ROMS.  (ex, Medieval II: Total War, The Sims 2). I have had the computer for about two weeks, and these applications have run fine until now.

When I go to the device manager, I go to DVD/CD-Rom Drives, double click, and a sub category is opened that has the Exclamation mark "triangle thing" on it.

The name of the sub category is: "ATAPI DVD W DH16W1PATA Device"

The Driver Version is 6.0.6000.16386

The error is as follows: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" 

There is no option for rollback, as the driver has not been updated.

I'm somewhat "scared" of messing around with the drivers (uninstalling, re-installing), so try to put it into language a peasant can understand Smile

I'm pretty much the only computer inclined person in my house, yet i'm also the youngest, so any solutions will be greeted with the greatest gift of all..A child's laughter Smile (lest my parents yell at me).

Thanks,

Kev R.

Friday, March 30, 2007 6:57 AM
  • Brian, did you ever get this error fixed for either of your network cards?  I recently had this happen on my PC too.

I'm running XP pro with service pack 2 and for me the error happened after my comp froze the other day and I had to do a hard reboot.  The most recent install I had done on my machine was something from a Windows update, as opposed to software or other drivers.  There was a reboot that had to be done after that installation but there were no issues with my ethernet card after that reboot.

I tried the fix Meg mentioned but that didn't have any effect for me, probably because it is the wrong class of device that I was working with in the registry.  However I didn't see any upper or lower filter keys in the classes for networking related devices.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this error fixed when it relates to networking cards?  Thanks.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Hey..... I have got the same problem with my network adapter..

i started my computer and code 39 appered on my network adapter in device manager

someone please help

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 6:56 AM
  • Thank You! Method #2 worked beautifully! For anyone else, just read it carefully, and follow it step by step. My Upper Filters were already missing, but I removed the lower filter, re-started and both of my DVD Roms re-appeared. Again, Thanks so much

Article ID : 314060
    Last Review : April 16, 2007
    Revision : 2.2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Saturday, August 11, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Just follow this steps and you wiil be fine!

Clearing upper and lower registry filters :

1. Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras.
    2. Click Start , and enter "regedit" into the Start Search field.
    The registry editor window appears.
    3.Select Computer in the main window.

4. Click File, Export, type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and click Save.
    A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.
    5. Click the plus sign ( +) next to the following items in the list:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class

Verity: 6.Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. Make sure you have selected this exact key name.
    7. Select LowerFilters value and press the Delete key and confirm the deletion by clicking Yes
    8.If an UpperFilters value is also listed, select UpperFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.

Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

9.Delete all other UpperFilter and LowerFilter values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key if they exist.
    10.Close the registry editor and restart the computer. The disc drive should now be recognized by Windows.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:04 AM
  •  Johnnybr wrote:

I Had the same problem but I asked for some help from HP and they gave me this

limk

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553

Just folow the steps and you will be ok after that

Worked for me

Hi This article is no longer available was there anything different on this one to the article 314060. I am getting the same issue on my DVD rw on a sony vaio. i deleted the lower filters to no avail. no upper filters are available.
    Monday, September 03, 2007 4:00 AM
  • Brian did you ever get your network adapter to work? I have the same problem. But can't find any help on the net.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 4:17 PM
  • unfortunately, the link is no longer valid. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553

I noticed the yellow ! beside  the driver in device manager. HP recommended I remove the driver. Since then the system will not recognize the liteon SHM-165H6S drive. It's in CMOS but  does not show in MyComputer. Using XP2 on an HP dx2200

Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:26 PM
  • LeeOK,

I had the same issue on a pc with Windows XP: all network adapters had a yellow ! and "code 39". In the log of Norton Antivirus I found messages about a lot of drivers that had been removed from c:\windows\system32\drivers because they were infected with a virus (Hactool.Spammer). One of the drivers that was removed was ndis.sys ; I reinstalled this driver and the issue with all network adapters was solved.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 6:51 PM
  • Thank you, I can find my DVD back

Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:31 AM
  •  

Roll Back is not an option.  The Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530B ATA Device has a yeallow ! over it. When I click on it, The properties box says Windows cannot load device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (code39)

It tells me to check for solutions, so I did and nothing happens.

Thanks you

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:50 PM
  •  

thank you this really helped! now i can finally play CDs!!
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:03 AM
  • What is the link

Friday, September 05, 2008 1:07 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem and have spent 10+ hours trying to fix. My drivers are: Hl-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B  amd LITE-on DVD SOHD 16P9S.

If anyone has a fix please let me know.

Friday, September 05, 2008 1:14 PM
  • Meg,

Thank you so much for your help today. I just did not know what I was going to do! God Bless you for being here when I needed you today. It was absolutely the easiest thing I have done since the whole thing started. Mine actually went out when I updated iTunes and had to uninstall it due to all the problems I was having. Believe it or not, it took down my DVD by Toshiba. Anyway, God Bless you, it's hard for me to believe that I honestly can thank you enough.

Patty

Ps
    PS: This works!!! It just takes 2 minutes at the most. I sure beats 3-4 days, huh? Thanks again Meg! You're any Angel!

Meg wrote:
    I don't know if this will help any of you but I talked to a tech at Toshiba and he refered me to this article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 It explains how to delete upper and lower filters in your computers registry. There are two options, you can go through the steps yourself or you can download a program that will do it for you. I downloaded the program and it worked perfectly. In my case the thing that caused my CD-rom to stop working was downloading the newest version of Windows Media Player. But I have been told that downloading or deleting any program dealing with your CD-rom can cause this problem. Hope this helps!

Sunday, October 12, 2008 6:44 AM
  • Thanks a million! Deleting the lower filter in the registry worked a treet even though I was worried about not finding the upper filter there it still worked and thats all that mattered. CHEERS!

BIG E

Monday, November 17, 2008 11:42 PM
  • i also received a code 39 error on my laptop computer, why?

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:28 AM
  • Hi, my name is Alysia and I am having the same problem what did you to fix it.

Monday, December 08, 2008 6:53 PM
  • THIS IS THE ANSWER!!! Or at least it fixed it on mine.  Get your windows CD (slipstreamed w/ current service pack), and run this command:
    Expand D:\i386\ndis.sy_ C:\windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys

On my customer's computer (dell laptop w/ windows xp home sp3), the NDIS.sys file was completely gone due to malware.  Perhaps on other computers the file NDIS.sys in C:\windows\system32\drivers will need to be deleted first.  I don't know.  Perhaps this would have to be done from the recovery console or Bart PE.  Just speculating.  But NDIS.sys seems to be key.  Found it on Majorgeeks but they made it into this big other deal.  Combofix from bleepingcomputer.com and rmvirut from AVG helped me remove the malware that caused the problem on this computer - with a LOT of work!

Good luck!
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Cause

There are several causes of Code 39 errors:
    A required device driver is missing.
    A required binary file is corrupted.
    There is a problem with the file I/O process.
    A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.
    Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.
    On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
    Restart your computer.
    Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Hi, I'm having the same problem, however I have multiple network adaptors and when ever I try to copy a fresh ndis.sys to /drivers I get a blue screen crash 0x0000007E (0x0000005 etc etc... , The problem initially started when I was trying to install a belkin wireless usb adaptor. Can anyone shed some light on the problem?
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:18 PM
  • you are awsome i went to the web sight and boom fixed 
    Friday, June 03, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Big thanks to Meg 1104,

I had trouble with by DVD it was flagged with a yellow mark in device manager and properties showed some error code(39)

The DVD was a HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GCA-4164B, but I guess it works for a lot of devices. Sorry about the big writing I don't know how to turn it off - lol.

I am not sure what caused the problem but I had uninstalled some software I didn't need.

One was called 'URGE' and then there was some itunes stuff i uninstalled, I forget the names of the other stuff. I think maybe a driver I needed got removed.

I am not sure if that caused the problem but in future I will be 'leaving well alone'.

One again a big thanks!!  (seems I have magically gone back to a reasonably sized font, so another problem fixed.

Bye all - from one happy bunny!!

Friday, September 09, 2011 10:49 PM