Licence Type Error during In-PLace UPgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

during migration testing Ive been busted by a superfluous System-Check: direct after the IN-Place Setup Notification page an error dialogue tells me that my license type does not match the one of my farm. Since I used the Enterprise MOSS key on the Farm and only got an Trial Key for the new installation, it lookes like everything I build to analyze the migration path was worthless. I think this path will also be used by further customer szenarios....

I tried much: searched for a possibility to convert my moss key back into a trial key or checked the psconfig and stsadm parameters but: nothing found yet...

Any Idea?

Thanx

Wojciech

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:09 AM

Answers

• I don't think you can change the key back to a trial key.  But you shoud be able to do a seperate trial install on a test farm and then copy and attach your existing content databases to the test farm.  I don't think migrating the content databases will change the key from live to trial.  Then you can upgrade the test farm for testing.  You don't want to actually upgrade your production environment anyway because there will be no upgrade path from Beta 2 to the production release.  So for now you should only be playing with SharePoint 2010 in a test environment that you can throw away.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by WMicka Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:14 PM
  • To add to what Paul said, here's how I understand it:

1. You cannot upgrade a SharePoint 2007 farm that is using a trail key.
    2. You cannot do an in place upgrade to SharePoint 2010 without a production (non trial) key for SharePoint 2010.

Yes, that means you cannot test in place upgrades right now, unless you can talk Microsoft into giving you a production key for SharePoint 2010. Sorry.

tk

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:45 PM

All replies

• I don't think you can change the key back to a trial key.  But you shoud be able to do a seperate trial install on a test farm and then copy and attach your existing content databases to the test farm.  I don't think migrating the content databases will change the key from live to trial.  Then you can upgrade the test farm for testing.  You don't want to actually upgrade your production environment anyway because there will be no upgrade path from Beta 2 to the production release.  So for now you should only be playing with SharePoint 2010 in a test environment that you can throw away.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:14 PM
  • To add to what Paul said, here's how I understand it:

1. You cannot upgrade a SharePoint 2007 farm that is using a trail key.
    2. You cannot do an in place upgrade to SharePoint 2010 without a production (non trial) key for SharePoint 2010.

Yes, that means you cannot test in place upgrades right now, unless you can talk Microsoft into giving you a production key for SharePoint 2010. Sorry.

tk

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Yes, obviuosly my only solution (wihtout reconfiguring everything in the central admininstration and SSP, by taking the content-dbs to another farm) was to use an older SharePoint 2010 Version for the In-Place Upgrade, where I hold the related non-trial key.... 

But thanks for Your support!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:27 PM