none
AVG Internet Security and Windows Firewall problem

Question

• I did a clean install of Win 7, and then let Windows find me an antivirus program. I chose the trial version of AVG Internet Security v8. Having installed this, and set up the firewall (which appears to be working), I am still getting messages from Windows Action Center telling me to turn on Windows firewall.

I decided that there must be a problem with the AVG product and disabled the AVG firewall. I then turned on the Windows firewall.

All was apparently OK until the next re-boot, when once again, Action Center was prompting me to turn on Windows firewall. AVG firewall remains turned off after a re-boot.

Is there a general problem with Windows firewall needing to be re-enabled after each re-boot (I guess not).

Can anyone recommend an antivirus package (preferably a trial version) which is compatible with Win 7.
    • Moved by OthorvathMVP, Moderator Monday, January 12, 2009 10:38 PM (Moved from Windows 7 Miscellaneous to Windows 7 Application Compatibility)
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:41 PM

Answers

• At this time there is only a select set of Anti-Virus solutions that are confirmed working on Windows 7.  They are listed at the Windows Team Blog and the Microsoft Security Partners Page.

Anything else is use at your own risk as they are not tested to be fully compatible with Windows 7 at this time.

~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:46 AM

All replies

• I'm guessing AVG turns off windows built-in firewall to potentially prevent conflicts.

If you like AVG, there is a win7 version that is just the anti-virus (not a whole security suite). There is a trial version - http://www.avg.com/download?prd=triaav.
    • Proposed as answer by Oleg Krogius Monday, January 12, 2009 9:44 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Attempted to uninstall AVG Internet Security, but this process caused a blue screen system crash.
    Tried twice more with same result.

Going for a re-install of Windows 7 :-(

Monday, January 12, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Yes the Kaspersky one is running fine on my set up! I tried the AVG one but didn't like its intrusiveness. The Kaspersky one is fine.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:25 PM
  • I have no firewall problems but i think that AVG is very slow. I've tried it the first time on Windows 7. The hard drive is in use all the time. I probably switch back to avast! antivirus. I've tried this already and it works fine for me - and it's free.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:33 PM
  • I installed AVG Free Edition, which is just anti-virus, and it works fine.  http://free.avg.com/
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:15 PM
  • technogranny said:

Yes the Kaspersky one is running fine on my set up! I tried the AVG one but didn't like its intrusiveness. The Kaspersky one is fine.

Thanks I'm not keen on trying an AVG product again. The Internet Security suite would not uninstall and caused a complete system crash - I even lost my Restore Points. Just finished re-installing Win 7 from scratch.

john
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:30 PM
  • I am also having a problem with my AVG Antivirus 7.5 /w Firewall. The firewall refuse to boot/start up even after restart and doing the config manager again.

Not sure if this is because of the older version i installed.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:25 AM
  • The trial of 8.0 is available from here

http://www.avg.com/us.download?prd=triavf
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:34 AM
  • I'm using AVG free edition version 8 and it is working fine, no problems whatsoever.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:30 AM
  • I'm using the trial of Norton 360, and it works good so far. Thing is it's only a 2 week trial. I'm hoping they will add OneCare to the list, as I have a subscription with six months left.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Same Here! I am gutted that One Care doesn't work with Windows 7!  So Norton isn't too intrusive with constant pop ups about this and that? I like this Kaspersky one. Like One Care it just gets on with it in the background.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:50 AM
  • Sanginius said:

The trial of 8.0 is available from here

http://www.avg.com/us.download?prd=triavf

I was using the trial version - of the full Internet Security suite. It seemed to work, except that the firewall was not being recognised as running by Windows.
    When I tried to uninstall the AVG trial version it caused a BSOD crash.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:41 PM
  • I've never tried the AVG firewall, just the anti-virus.  I don't really like those all-in-one security solutions.  There is a free firewall named Zone Alarm which I use on one of my computers.  Haven't tried it here yet, but you might want to take a look at it.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Do ZoneAlarm work on your Windows 7 system?? Because I have problems in installing it...
    First it says, that I use Win95 and then, setup continue, but at the end, the TrueVector Internet Monitor isn't able to install, because it "uses drivers which make compatibility problems" and then it doesn't work...
    Can you help me please
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:04 PM
  • I'm using AVG Free 8.0 which works fine except for the Update Manager. The program seems to do everything it is supposed to do - Except Update. I can maually launch an Update and it will download and install the current defs. After updating, the program then disables the automatic update. Is this some service that should be turned on that isn't or does anyone have any other ideas?

Update - 2/2/09 It's Groundhog's Day!!!!
    This is really strange. I was hunting around in the AVG interface and found the answer. In Tools --> Advanced Settings --> Schedules --> Virus Database Update Schedules --> the task was DISABLED... by default! I have installed AVG bo-zillion times and this has NEVER been the case. Why would this be for WIN 7 only? Don't know but it was and when enabled - It works perfectly. Weird.
    • Proposed as answer by eScoop Monday, February 02, 2009 8:45 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:11 PM
  • pc tools free firewall works fine and as far as i can tell from trying the rest it's the only one
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Mike1591990 said:

Do ZoneAlarm work on your Windows 7 system?? Because I have problems in installing it...
    First it says, that I use Win95 and then, setup continue, but at the end, the TrueVector Internet Monitor isn't able to install, because it "uses drivers which make compatibility problems" and then it doesn't work...
    Can you help me please

I am unable to get it installed either.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 1:09 AM
  • At this time there is only a select set of Anti-Virus solutions that are confirmed working on Windows 7.  They are listed at the Windows Team Blog and the Microsoft Security Partners Page.

Anything else is use at your own risk as they are not tested to be fully compatible with Windows 7 at this time.

Friday, January 16, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Hi all,

I tried as well AVG 8 and it just created BSOD and also Windows update didn't worked anymore.
    AVG will disable the Windows FW while installing.
    Uninstall will create BSOD as well on my machine.

Just try Avira AntiVir, that works fine without any issues

Friday, January 16, 2009 10:13 AM
  • yes, I supply that..
    I also have Avira AntiVir and it works very fine, without any problems...
    But with firewalls I have only problems...
    Pc tools free firewall works also doesn't work... the installation doesn't continue... it freeze at 100%... maybe we have to use the Windows Firewall, 'cause that's the only one for free and it work's
    Friday, January 16, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Avast works perfect on my Lenovo R61. This was an upgrade from Vista 32 Business. Perfect!
    Adelino Araujo
    Friday, January 16, 2009 7:42 PM
  • I ran into the same issue with AVG 8 BSOD.

I am running Avast on both of my eval systems with absolutely no problems.

Friday, January 16, 2009 7:54 PM
  • I use the free AVG 8 antivirus, Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster on my X64 install of Win7. I don't like the all-in-one security suites. Too much bloat and resource usage for my taste.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Alex T said:

At this time there is only a select set of Anti-Virus solutions that are confirmed working on Windows 7.  They are listed at the Windows Team Blog and the Microsoft Security Partners Page.

The AVG product (Internet Security v8 - trial version) that I was using was selected from those recommended via the Microsoft Security Partners page. This is the one which had the firewall problem and which could not be un-installed.

John

Friday, January 16, 2009 8:30 PM
  • I'm using the trial of AVG Internet Security 8.0 as well, and have the same problem with Windows Action Center not sensing the AVG firewall. I wasn't able to connect to MSN with the AVG firewall turned on either (I've checked the settings, it's set on "allow all"), so I just disabled it and use the Windows Firewall instead. I have to turn it on manually every time I start the computer though.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 10:51 PM
  • I am running the full version of AVG Internet Security Version 8.0233. it is fully compatible with Windows 7. As for the Windows Firewall issue, that can be easily remedied as well. In the Action Center Right below where it Says Windows Firewall is turned off That is a line that says Turn Off Messages About Network Firewall. If you click on that the annoying pop up telling you that Windows Firewall is off will stop. I have also had no problems with Updates either Automatic or manual. All of that seems to be running great.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 11:25 PM
  • try advanced system care, its free, at IObit.com,and seems to work well with windows 7,they also have a good defragger, that seems to work well with windows 7,at least on the test bed system i have it loaded on,no problems. i use this and avg free,on all 8 of the systems in our computer room,we are running,xp home,xp 64bit,vista ultimate,and windows 7 beta

jcmarkland
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:48 AM
  • Alex T said:

At this time there is only a select set of Anti-Virus solutions that are confirmed working on Windows 7.  They are listed at the Windows Team Blog and the Microsoft Security Partners Page.

Glad you posted the compatable anti-virus solutions to hopefully resolve a lot of these questions. In my own view I find the "all-in-one" solutions put a drag on your system. The AVG free version 8 installed easily and works fine for me. They really don't seem to want you to find it easily but it is really there if you search hard enough. Someone mentioned Zone Alarm earlier. Am glad they did. Have used both of these free versions in the past and have been very happy. Call me cheap but if you find something that doesn't burn off any more of your hard-earned money I am all for it.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:03 PM
  • I have installed AVG Internet Security and everything works fine....
    Except the firewall... It doesn't even let Windows Update connect to the internet, and lots of other (Windows) apps too....
    And it keeps turning Windows Firewall off if I want to use that one instead of the AVG Firewall.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:35 AM
  • jcmarkland said:

try advanced system care, its free, at IObit.com,and seems to work well with windows 7,they also have a good defragger, that seems to work well with windows 7,at least on the test bed system i have it loaded on,no problems. i use this and avg free,on all 8 of the systems in our computer room,we are running,xp home,xp 64bit,vista ultimate,and windows 7 beta

jcmarkland

I have advanced system care on my xp computer, but it crashes my drivers of my internet banking device (excuse my english, I'm dutch).
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:38 AM