none
Windows 7 wont boot, black screen with white cursor

Question

• good afternoon,

i am an IT tech from the UK and friends machine is expericing something simalr to the balck screen of death, when you try to boot the machine it just wont boot to Win 7 and just sits on a balck screen with a white cursor.

we have tried to repair windows and nothing works as soon as the unit reboots the machine goes straight back to the black screen.

i have tried to make my friend understand that this is not the simply balck screen of death problem as we are unable to boot to safe mode or even access the OS in anyway.

it has been suggested to rebuild the machine using a new hard drive but he is reluctant to do this.

has anyone came across this problem before?

Monday, November 22, 2010 2:47 PM

Answers

• Please try to boot into Last Known Good configuration.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Can specific more on the laptop/desktop model?

If you are using HP laptop, can try to change the "Bit-Shift" to "LBA-Assist" on the BIOS setting.

Most of my machine worked after that setting.

GBK
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:52 AM

All replies

• Either the hard drive has crashed or the motherboard has failed.  If you don't see any BIOS or POST information on the screen then most likely the motherboard has failed.  If you see BIOS or POST information then the hard drive needs to be removed and checked to see if it's defective.  If the drive has failed there is absolutely no choice as to whether to replace it or not.  If the morherboard has failed the hard drive should boot up on another system if it is the same or very similar to the original.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 22, 2010 3:53 PM
  • i can boot to bios and boot the the restore drive but cant access anything on the drive, we have no machines simalar to his one, but i was able to access the data on the drive via a HD reader

my suggestion to him was to rebuild teh machine but he is VERY reluctnant to do so

thank you for your help :)

Monday, November 22, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Have your friend ensure that no peripheral devices are plugged into the machine and that there is no dvd/cd in the drive and try to reboot.  I have seen at times where you get the flashing cursor on a black screen because of one of these things.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Please try to boot into Last Known Good configuration.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Can specific more on the laptop/desktop model?

If you are using HP laptop, can try to change the "Bit-Shift" to "LBA-Assist" on the BIOS setting.

Most of my machine worked after that setting.

GBK
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:52 AM
  • I have the exact same issue as the guy above.  You can read my post on this site:

http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2012/01/10/patch-tuesday.htm

Or, I will copy it here in the following.  What most of you don't realize, is that I think it relates to the last update.  My system was perfect.  From my viewpoint, it is not the motherboard nor harddrive.  I can restore a prior Acronis backup and everything is perfect.  But, then, it installs the latest updates, and POOF -- I'm back in this situation.  I can easily reproduce it.  Otherwise, my system works fine.  I tried everything:

* 640 x 480 resolution

* (all) Safe modes - but nothing gets past this "black screen white cursor" situation

It just sits there (even right now):  no hard drive access, just black cursor on white screen; never going to the WIndows logon screen for user selection and typing password.  Holds between the windows icon, my monitors flashed black (with signal lost message), then comes back up with the BSWS situation.

If anyone has ideas, I'm out.

Thanks,
    David Blaine Fullerton

************* COPIED POST: **********************

(180) David Blaine Fullerton says:

I have the exact same issue as everyone else. I have an HP m8130f, and it was totally up-to-date with Windows drivers and everything. Well, I installed the most recent update (i.e., WIndows installed the update), and it now only boots in this order: the starting windows icon, waits a bit, then goes to a black screen with a white mouse that moves but nothing else happens. The logon screen never comes up, and I think the hard drive is still flashing occasionally but nothing happens. No CNTRL-ALT-DELETE: nothing.

I tried everything like F8, Safe Mode, Windows Disk with trying all of the fixes, etc. It still goes into that state. I can’t get Windows back. Even the System Restore doesn’t work now, it says that the system restore is corrupted.

Okay, thankfully, I have an Acronis backup from Jan. 1st. Well, it will restore the system perfectly, but it will go into the same state as above.

Get this, even, I have an Acronis backup from 12-1-2011. Okay, I installed that, and it works perfect. But, then, stupid me: I left the Windows update feature on. And, poof, just now, it went back into the same state as above. No error messages, nothing: just disappears into the BSOD (BLACK Screen of Death).

I don’t understand. I have never had a problem like this with Windows. Crazy.

And, I’m no dummy. I do this for a living, so it is not something I did wrong. Windows Update is screwing-up machines and turning alot of them into expensive bricks.

Thanks for letting me have my say,
    David Blaine Fullerton

January 17, 2012 at 6:30 am
    (181) David Blaine Fullerton says:

Let me say something else. I removed everything in my system. I dropped the video card, peripheral cards, etc. It is just a pure empty system. I’m even using the video card on-board, and it still does this.

It is not the computer. It is the Windows Update from around 1-12-2012 (I think).

Rebooted again, and I am still in that freaking black screen, white cursor, and nothing else.

I hope someone posts something that helps. I didn’t lose anything other than my time and my sanity.

Hope this helps other people, thanks,
    David Blaine Fullerton

January 17, 2012 at 6:50 am
    (182) David Blaine Fullerton says:

I went to Microsoft website and read this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/why-is-my-screen-black-when-i-start-windows-7

I already did these steps. Even low-resolution still gives me the same black screen white cursor, but with a bigger cursor and that’s it.

It never goes back to Windows 7 Professional.

This is crazy. I hope someone figures a quick fix out of this. Nothing seems to work that I can figure out.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:57 AM
  • David Blaine Fullerton,

How could a patch in January 2012 cause a problem back in November 2010?

I don't think you read the posts very well!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:28 PM
  • this was it! i had one of those little mini usb sticks plugged in to help with the ram. i took it out. now booting. god bless you. may you live a long and wonderful life!
    Friday, June 28, 2013 2:02 AM
  • David. Did you ever win? If so i could really do with a hand. I have sim. Situation black screen white cursor - HELP
    Friday, October 18, 2013 1:55 PM