none
OrderBy-bar from Vista? RRS feed

Answers

• Send feedback on this issue.  Most likely the best answer we can give as it seems opinions are varied on this or would like some added features to the default options.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:36 PM

All replies

• I do not see it neither.

However, you can use a context menu (right click on empty list space - Sort), but it is not very convenient.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:15 PM
  • I hadn't even noticed that... but now that I have, I'd rather like to see it back, myself.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Personally I'm all for simplifying the default view - which this is exactly. If you want to change the order a right click operation should not be too bad (especially you probably do this once), and this simplifies the view for the average user.
    • Proposed as answer by RayG4 Monday, January 12, 2009 7:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by PranKe01 Monday, January 12, 2009 7:28 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:04 AM
  • What about an option where the user can appropriate himself if he wants it or now!? I very often sort items by different things.

Monday, January 12, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Oleg Krogius said:

Personally I'm all for simplifying the default view - which this is exactly. If you want to change the order a right click operation should not be too bad (especially you probably do this once), and this simplifies the view for the average user.

But I don't only do this once. When I'm trying to work with a lot of mixed files (which happens a lot), I often need to make use of sort-by checkboxes (as demonstrated here). In Windows 7 these option are not available through the context menu, and the details view isn't very good for finding specific files in a large group.

I don't mind if it's an option that's off by default, but at least give us the choice!
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Send feedback on this issue.  Most likely the best answer we can give as it seems opinions are varied on this or would like some added features to the default options.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:36 PM
  • This isn't an issue of adding features, it's an issue of taking away features that were present in Vista, which is a bad thing to do. In fact, this particular feature was one of the few truly useful UI additions in Vista and I'm very sad to see it go. The fact that there's a lot of different opinions is irrelevant. There's absolutely no reason why this couldn't be a checkmark option in the folder view options and have it unchecked by default. Then the default behaviour would be as it currently is but previous Vista users who found this feature useful could simply enable it.

Note by default many options available on the bar are not found in the toolbar or often even in the view menu if menus are displayed but only in the context menu and many operations will require multiple selections in the context menus which is cumbersome. Some things can't even be done. If I want to filter items while in a list or icon view I have to first go to the details view, set up the filtering, then change views back, then go back to the details view if I want to remove the filters. There are no filter options in any of the menus so this is the only way.

Again, pleaes don't remove useful functionality for the sake of simplification when it would be so easy to keep that functionality in as a non-default settings option. If I want to use OS X I'll buy a Mac. (Actually, I have a mac and mostly run Windows on it!)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Glad to see I ain't the only one to miss that feature. Please, add it back.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:51 PM
  • I've never seen that before, but it's still there (or has it been added back in the RC?).

Select Details in the View Menu (after showing the Menu) or select Details from the "Change your View" dropdown button.
    Mick Doherty
    http://dotnetrix.co.uk
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Oleg Krogius said:

Personally I'm all for simplifying the default view - which this is exactly. If you want to change the order a right click operation should not be too bad (especially you probably do this once), and this simplifies the view for the average user.

But I don't only do this once. When I'm trying to work with a lot of mixed files (which happens a lot), I often need to make use of sort-by checkboxes (as demonstrated here ). In Windows 7 these option are not available through the context menu, and the details view isn't very good for finding specific files in a large group.

I don't mind if it's an option that's off by default, but at least give us the choice!
    This isn't an issue of adding features, it's an issue of taking away features that were present in Vista, which is a bad thing to do. In fact, this particular feature was one of the few truly useful UI additions in Vista and I'm very sad to see it go. The fact that there's a lot of different opinions is irrelevant. There's absolutely no reason why this couldn't be a checkmark option in the folder view options and have it unchecked by default. Then the default behaviour would be as it currently is but previous Vista users who found this feature useful could simply enable it.

Note by default many options available on the bar are not found in the toolbar or often even in the view menu if menus are displayed but only in the context menu and many operations will require multiple selections in the context menus which is cumbersome. Some things can't even be done. If I want to filter items while in a list or icon view I have to first go to the details view, set up the filtering, then change views back, then go back to the details view if I want to remove the filters. There are no filter options in any of the menus so this is the only way.

Again, pleaes don't remove useful functionality for the sake of simplification when it would be so easy to keep that functionality in as a non-default settings option. If I want to use OS X I'll buy a Mac. (Actually, I have a mac and mostly run Windows on it!)
    me too!!! I used to use really often the "checkbox filter" in vista, using the "large icons" view. Now it's not possible... I missed it a lot in 7 beta but I thought it was a bug or that something was not ready at the date the beta was released or something like that. I was completely disappointed when I saw that nothing was changed in 7 RC! It doesn't make sense, really... it was a great feature, I need it. And I guess I'm not the only one, I bet everyone who use the computer a little bit more seriously than the average luser would agree that the "database style" file manager was so useful. I'm wondering how is it possible to think that it was a useless feature: as everyone other already said, if the problem was that it was too advanced for the average user the solution would have been disabling it by default, just like file extensions, system files etc... NOT extirpating it. Come on, you have left such geeky things like the "open cmd window here" on shift+right click and many more, you have restored the "winkey+E" shortcut (it didn't open computer folder in beta) etc... and you remove the columns bar...
    And it doesn't make sense in any case: if the problem was that it was too advanced, you should have been removed from everywhere, why is it still there in the details view instead??? Is it useful? If so, you keep it. Is it annoying for the average user? If so, you remove it. This way it's a completely nonsense.

I know it's late but I hope you'll return to the straight and narrow path...
    • Edited by fedcas Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:53 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:48 PM
  • I've never seen that before, but it's still there (or has it been added back in the RC?).

Select Details in the View Menu (after showing the Menu) or select Details from the "Change your View" dropdown button.
    Mick Doherty
    http://dotnetrix.co.uk
    It's still there in details view but now that's the only view in which it is there. In Windows Vista the column headings were present in all views and allowed a very quick way to sort, group, filter and stack from any view. It also provided a useful visual feedback if the views was being sorted in a non-default way, etc.

You can still sort and group from the menu bar or context menu in any view, but not directly from the column headers since they're gone. It would have been nice if they at least added toolbar dropdowns for these functions next to the new view dropdown so that there would at least be a convenient way to get to them quickly plus a visual indicator of what's going on.

In addition to removing the column headers from all but the details view (I guess they wanted XP users to feel all warm and comfy?) they also removed functionality. The column headers can now only sort and filter. The ability to group from the column dropdowns has been removed in RC for some reason. And the stack function has been removed altogether! (I didn't use it often, but on occasion found it quite useful.)

Also, speaking of filtering, which can be quite useful, unlike the other options it is not present in any of the menus which is rather inconsistent and so filtering can only be achieved by going into the details view. However, if you use details view to filter you can switch to another view and the filters will remain in effect. This is useful, but also somewhat dangerous as there is no visual indication outside of the details view that the folder contents are being filtered which could lead to confusion or potentially the dangerous situation of deleting what appears to be an empty folder even though it is not.

Given that we're at an RC level it's hard to imagine Microsoft will make any new changes to the UI, so I think we're stuck with this. But it would be really nice if they were to backtrack and restore some of the lost functionality at least as an option or in a more newby friendly way. I still think adding a couple of toolbar dropdowns would provide most of the same functionality in a somewhat less confusing manner.

On the plus side, the new grouping functionality in the list view is awesome! I never even noticed you can't group in list view in Vista but they added this ability in Windows 7 and it's very usable. It does take some of the sting out of losing the stacking feature, although I believe the stacking feature crosses sub-folder boundaries, so you'd need to do a search followed by a list/grouping view of the search result to achierve a similar result in Win 7.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:49 PM
  • May I ask WHY you removed it from 7 views out of 8? I really don't understand... maybe we are missing something...

I mean, there is a reason, right? Someone must have decided it, right?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:03 AM