none
Unsolicited Remote Assistance in a WORKGROUP RRS feed

• Question

• This is a problem between Windows 10 Pro and the remote Windows 8.1 Pro using Remote Assistance

AKA ; C:\Windows\System32\msra.exe /offerra

I have set the correct Local Group Policy settings with in Windows 8.1 Pro, for Unsolicited access, however im still getting this annoying message pop up, asking the user (which is me) if I want the connecting computer (Windows 10 Pro) to allow access!

issues :

* make sure your remote computer (windows 8.1) and connecting computer (windows 10) can see all the computers in the network, you can do this by opening file explorer then pressing network, a message will pop up along the top asking if you want to turn on locating other devices on the network

* If anyone is getting the (Your offer to help could not be sent) garbage, let me save you 42 hours of your life! you have to have an account on the computer you wish to connect to! and if you are using your Microsoft account, you'll also have to login with it, otherwise the account will remain with out a password, which is the main reason you'll get this uninformative message that talks about permissions/power/network problems! nothing about accounts! 

* if you dont enter a name in to "Configure Offer Remote Assistance" you get the (Your offer to help could not be sent) garbage, quickset way to find out your user name is to go to the root of the connecting computers drive (c:/) (Windows 10 Pro) press on Users folder and look for your name, thats the same name you need to put in to the box, you dont need to enter a workgroup or device name then a forward slash user name, you just need to enter your name, nothing else! each time you change the name you will need to enter "gpupdate /force" in to the admin command prompt

* if your using a Microsoft Account (Hotmail/live/outlook email) to sign in to the connecting computer (Windows 10 Pro) you will need to sign in the same way on the remote computer (Windows 8.1 Pro) simply adding an account with the same user name and password will not work, you will have to literally sign in with your email address

* if this is a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro only "C:\windows\system32\raserver.exe" will need to be allowed passed the firewall, When trying to connect to the remote computer "Windows 8.1 Pro" it should pop up with a message to unblock the connection from the connecting computer, if not just add the rule above

screen shot : You'll see I'm still being asked!

• Edited by SignedAdam Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:24 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2019 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 16, 2019 8:08 AM