none
XPS vs PDF

Question

• When comparing XPS and PDF files, which one has smaller file size?

When would you prefer to use XPS over PDF?

Thanks.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:03 AM

Answers

• usually XPS are smaller.

I just saved the same document one as XPS and the other as PDF

the XPS was 313KB while the PDF was 487KB

As for preference its really what your business mostly deals in. Here we mostly use PDF's because that is what is standard for our industry when looking at drawings.  The drawback to this is we have to load adobe reader on every computer so they can view them.  We also have a program called cutepdf which allows us to print a document to the desktop as a pdf.

As for XPS documents if word is on the machine (2007 and higher) then you can view XPS documents and save them as this. IF not you will need to get a word viewer program.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:19 PM

All replies

• usually XPS are smaller.

I just saved the same document one as XPS and the other as PDF

the XPS was 313KB while the PDF was 487KB

As for preference its really what your business mostly deals in. Here we mostly use PDF's because that is what is standard for our industry when looking at drawings.  The drawback to this is we have to load adobe reader on every computer so they can view them.  We also have a program called cutepdf which allows us to print a document to the desktop as a pdf.

As for XPS documents if word is on the machine (2007 and higher) then you can view XPS documents and save them as this. IF not you will need to get a word viewer program.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:19 PM
  • With Windows 7, you can launch an XPS file with the inbox XPS Viewer (Word/any other application would not be essential). 

Here are the two easy ways of generating XPS files on Win7:

• You can do a "save as" to .xps format for the file in question
    • Simply print the file/webpage to "Microsoft XPS document writer".

Talking about preference, I think its about your convenience and as Ang101 mentioned, the standard followed at your workplace.

Regards,

Anushma

Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:25 AM