none
Sony Vaio Webcam will not start, "this device cannot start (code 10, any ideas??

Question

• So i have a sony vaio, VGN-SZ491N running Vista Business and the built in Webcam has stopped working.  Under the device manager i get the yellow exclamation point for the Imaging Devices, Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC5.  It says "this device cannot start (code 10)  Under location it says unknown.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled, updated to the latest drivers, contacted sony, searched the web, but have yet to find a solution.  Sony recommendation was to update the drivers, did that, no dice, their second suggestion was to roll back to when it was working, not really an option as it hasn't been working for quite awhile.  Any ideas out there??
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding the error message, please refer to this document:

Code 10: The device cannot start

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770677.aspx

At this time, let’s try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Reinstall the driver to see how it works.

1)   Click Start, right click on Computer and choose Properties.

2)   Click Device Manager.

3)   Navigate to the camera

4)   Right click on it and choose “Uninstall”. If there is a check box “Delete the driver software for the device.”, please also check it and then click OK.

5)   Please also go to “Control Panel – Program and Features” to check if there is entry for the audio device driver. If so, please also remove it.

6)   Reboot the computer and reinstall the driver.

2.    If the issue persists, please also try to install this driver:

Sony® Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC5 Driver

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Considering this issue is related to hardware, it is also recommended that you contact SONY.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, July 13, 2009 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding the error message, please refer to this document:

Code 10: The device cannot start

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770677.aspx

At this time, let’s try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Reinstall the driver to see how it works.

1)   Click Start, right click on Computer and choose Properties.

2)   Click Device Manager.

3)   Navigate to the camera

4)   Right click on it and choose “Uninstall”. If there is a check box “Delete the driver software for the device.”, please also check it and then click OK.

5)   Please also go to “Control Panel – Program and Features” to check if there is entry for the audio device driver. If so, please also remove it.

6)   Reboot the computer and reinstall the driver.

2.    If the issue persists, please also try to install this driver:

Sony® Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC5 Driver

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Considering this issue is related to hardware, it is also recommended that you contact SONY.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, July 13, 2009 11:19 AM
  • hey i am having the exact same problem , just that my model is VGN-CR36G (Asian model). i uninstalled vaio camera capture utility 2.7 and installed 2.6 (latest available on the sony website) still it doesnt work.. please help. is your webcam working now ..???
    please help ..plz plz plz..
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:26 PM