none
KB2592687 (RDC 8.0) Failure on Win7 x64

Question

• Update KB2592687 fails (Error 80070002) to install during the reboot cycle on Windows Ultimate 7 x64, SP1.  I've used the WSUS pkg., followed the the troubleshooting for the error number, used the Microsoft Fixit in normal and aggressive modes, etc.  I've renamed the Downloaded Installations folder, rebooted in selective startup mode, and tried everything else I could find documented and several things that are not documented.  During the initial update install, my system also acquired and successfully installed the co-requisite update for DTLS (KB2574819) successfully.

My system is a Dell precision Workstation M6400.  I've uninstalled other software that I thought might conflict with the RDC 8 update, including things like SEP 12.1 and VisionApp Remote Desktop 2012.  So you can imagine how many times I've rebooted the system over the past few days - all to no avail.  I've found only a couple other references through my web searches of other people having the same problem, and, interestingly, they're all OSes like mine:  Win7 Ultimate x64, SP1.

The installation attempts all fail in exactly the same way:  it proceeds normally and prompts for shutdown.  During the shutdown, it tells me it's installing the update and not to turn off the computer.  On startup, it proceeds through the configuration to 96% and then announces "Installation Failure - Reverting" as it begins rolling back the change.  It then restarts, goes through the "Installation Failure - Reverting" routine again, then restarts again.  After the double restart, I'm able to logon to the system and go back to work.  But KB2592687 is reflected in my update history as failed.

I don't know what else to try and am hoping someone out there has had a problem similar to mine that they've been able to overcome.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hello dburns13,

I'm from Brazil.

Apply updates:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35394

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35386

Post results.

Bye

Thanks

Vinicius Mozart

• Edited by Vinicius MozartMVP Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:05 PM
    • Proposed as answer by un_nica Wednesday, May 01, 2013 8:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by un_nica Wednesday, May 01, 2013 8:02 PM
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Exact same issue. I have several windows 7 machines and this is the only one wit hthe issue. Dell Latittude e6250 win 7 x64.

I manually installed (KB2574819) as it was getting rolled back along with the failing KB2592687, but this made no difference and KB2592687 still rolls back.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:16 AM
  • Hi all,

I had started a similar thread here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/6eabc26b-5a66-4842-82f1-fb82bc6e82fc/

Seems others are having same result.

Interestingly, my computer is also a DELL.  In this case a Precision T5500.  I am using Windows 7 Professional SP1.  My organisation has many DELL computers though and this update has installed on most of those.

Keep me posted!

Cheers

Graham

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:40 AM
  • Hello Dburns,

You have results about problem?

Vinicius Mozart

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 12:14 AM
  • Hi all,

I'am experiencing the same problem with three computers on our organisation. I deleted the "Software Distribution" folder  and tried to install the update again but it does the same. It restarts a couple times with a failed update message then im able to log in.

These are Dell computers...

Please if you have any new info please post it so we can find a solution.

Thanks,

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Hello,

You have Sata Intel Matrix software installed on your computer? Remove the SATA controller drivers and perform the test.

Vinicius Mozart

Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:19 PM
  • Please read the original thread.  You are recommending to me that I do what I have complained does not work.  The results, of course, are posted in the original question.
    Friday, November 09, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Vinicius.  I did remove the Intel Matrix software and rebooted.  Then manually applied the KB2592687 update.  It sill fails and reverts during the reboot cycle - 2 restart cycles, exactly as before.  I'm going to check the Dell support KB and forums and see if anyone else has ideas.
    Friday, November 09, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Hello dburns13,

Ok. The problem this in software drivers Dell.

Post results.

Thanks

Vinicius Mozart

Friday, November 09, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Can we have some details please if it is a DELL issue?

What was done to fix it?

Thank you

Friday, November 09, 2012 4:02 PM
  • I went through problems with Intel Matrix driver for notebook Toshiba. Try to make a new installation on a machine and install the drivers individually to see which one has the problem.
    Vinicius Mozart

Friday, November 09, 2012 4:29 PM
  • No goodness on this issue yet.  I ran System File Checker this morning and it identified tcpmon.ini as a corrupt file that it could not repair or replace.  So I got one from a similar laptop in my organization and replaced that file on my system.  Ran the KB update again, but same symptom.  I also uninstalled the Bomgar rep console, on the rationale that it has a special video driver shim for perforing remote presentations.  Uninstalling that also did not fix the problem.  No more time to work on this problem today but will report back from time to time (as I have time) my failed and futile attempts to struggle with this issue.

Feel free to contribute to this thread any ideas that you think might be productive in resolving the problem  I wish the windows update log could give me more than 0x80070002 - that's a pretty generic message.

• Edited by dburns13 Friday, November 09, 2012 4:42 PM
    Friday, November 09, 2012 4:41 PM
  • This is not ONLY a Dell issue.

I built my computer and am having the same problem (KB2592687 update fails to install).

My computer:

Intel i5-3570K CPU

ASRock Z77 Pro4 motherboard

16GB DDR3 1600 (PC 12800)

Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 w/SP1 and all other current updates

Radeon HD 6850OC (Catalyst 12.10)

I'm not sure I care too much about the update itself.  Just bugs me that it's broke!

Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:18 AM
  • I have a similar problem with my computer (selfmade)

Intel i3 -2100

MSI H67MA-E35 Motherboard

4 GB DD3 RAM - KYNGSTON

When I installed the solution the system show an error and reboot two times to come back to the recovery point.

Regards.

Monday, November 12, 2012 4:21 PM
  • I also have this issue on my home-built computer:

ASRock Z77 Pro4-M motherboard
      Intel i7 3770K (std clock speed)
      32GB Kingston DDR3 RAM
      Samsung 830 series 256GB SSD
      Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
      HIS Radeon HD 7850 Graphics card (Catalyst 12.11)

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:26 PM
  • This is not ONLY a Dell issue.

I built my computer and am having the same problem (KB2592687 update fails to install).

My computer:

Intel i5-3570K CPU

ASRock Z77 Pro4 motherboard

16GB DDR3 1600 (PC 12800)

Corsair Force 3 240GB SSD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 w/SP1 and all other current updates

Radeon HD 6850OC (Catalyst 12.10)

I'm not sure I care too much about the update itself.  Just bugs me that it's broke!

I have been trying for more than a year to install the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) on an i7 - everything fails, including "help" from Microsoft by email and by phone. It seriously needs a solution.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:36 PM
  • It looks like this problem appears only on devices with an installed SSD system drive.

Now we have to find out why and what to do about it.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Not sure about that. Because we have three computers with the same problem and none has a SSD on it. I also tried to modify TEMP path and it didnt work either.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hello,

Install the hotfix before the update and see if it works. Here's a link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2574819

post results

Vinicius Mozart

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Hi Vincius

As my original report states, the DLTS update (KB2574819) was applied successfully.  It's only the RDC 8.0 update (KB2592687) that repeatedly fails.  And, no, there is no DDS storage on the Dell Precision laptop.  The BIOS and drivers are all up to date.  I'm out of ideas on this and have simply declined the update on the WSUS server, so it will quit nagging me to apply it.  I haven't given up yet, but I have a job and a life as well . . .

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:58 PM

• I don't think this issue is restricted to Dell systems. I've having the same problem with a Lenovo (Model 03012AU) running Win7(64) Professional.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Also HP models have this issue, we have HP6930p with windows 7 64bit.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:29 AM
  • I have 2 virtually identical Dell Inspiron 580s both running Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit.  One has this problem, the other does not.  The PC with the problem does NOT have the Bing Desktop installed but DOES have Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 installed.  The PC that does NOT have this problem HAS the Bing Desktop installed but does NOT have Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 installed.  I am sure there are other software differences, too, between these 2 PCs but these, perhaps, seem to be the most relevant.  Any ideas?  Does anyone know if Microsoft is looking at this or if they even care?  I guess this issue has been around for quite some time so maybe that answers the last question.  More important than that, though, is finding a resolution to this issue.  Thanks!
    Saturday, December 01, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Hello together,

these steps resulted in a successful installation of the Windows updates KB2592687 (Remote Desktop Protocol RDP 8.0) with me:

1. Stop the service "Remote desktop services" (TermService)
    2. Installation of the Windows Update KB2592687 (whether Windows Update, update package, or WSUS)
    3. Restart Windows

Hope to be able to help someone this.

I've posted this answer already here.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/6eabc26b-5a66-4842-82f1-fb82bc6e82fc

Greeting

John

• Proposed as answer by RockChris Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RockChris Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:30 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Yann BOUVIER Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:02 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Hello together,

these steps resulted in a successful installation of the Windows updates KB2592687 (Remote Desktop Protocol RDP 8.0) with me:

1. Stop the service "Remote desktop services" (TermService)
    2. Installation of the Windows Update KB2592687 (whether Windows Update, update package, or WSUS)
    3. Restart Windows

Hope to be able to help someone this.

I've posted this answer already here.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/6eabc26b-5a66-4842-82f1-fb82bc6e82fc

Greeting

John

It does not work for most people - see the other thread
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:21 PM
  • I can confirm that this has worked for me.

If this server is pending a reboot after installing the update (as it was for me) stopping the services and rebooting will not help, you will need to do the install from start to finish with the services stopped.

• Edited by RockChris Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:25 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:24 PM
  • I just ran across this with a user and after some research it ended up being that the Windows Firewall Service was missing.  Please confirm that your "Windows Firewall" service is listed in "Services.msc".  If not see: (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/5366225a-46e7-4d6c-a389-8bd18a5c3aad).  There is a link inside that post that resets the service.  Once you run the tool to fix the service restart the computer and ensure the "Windows Firewall" service is listed and proceed to try your update again. 

The user I worked with had McAfee Firewall installed and I can only assume it removed the default Windows one which is apparently a prerequisite for this patch.

HTH,

John

• Proposed as answer by jgaughan Thursday, December 20, 2012 10:08 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Dear jgaughan,

THANK YOU. I have been dealing with this issue on a clients computer for weeks. I had tried everything I could find regarding this issue and was in the process of getting ready to formatting the machine but I can verify this DOES work if none of the other possible fixes work. If you had posted one day later I would have blown the entire machine away. Thanks so much again.

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:30 PM
  • I just ran across this with a user and after some research it ended up being that the Windows Firewall Service was missing.  Please confirm that your "Windows Firewall" service is listed in "Services.msc".  If not see: (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/5366225a-46e7-4d6c-a389-8bd18a5c3aad).  There is a link inside that post that resets the service.  Once you run the tool to fix the service restart the computer and ensure the "Windows Firewall" service is listed and proceed to try your update again. 

The user I worked with had McAfee Firewall installed and I can only assume it removed the default Windows one which is apparently a prerequisite for this patch.

HTH,

John

Well done,

It worked for me

Cheers

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:26 PM
  • FYI  None of these recent suggestions helped me.  On my PC, neither the Remote Desktop Services (TermService) nor the Windows Firewall (it is in the services list) are running.  Thanks for the information, though, and I am glad that the update (finally?) installed for you.
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:11 AM

HTH,

John

Servicesrepair.exe as suggested here worked for me. I have Sophos.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:59 PM
  • Thx Joannes this workaround fix my trouble to install KB2592687!

Ingénieur Système - http://yannbouvier.free.fr

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:03 PM
  • I had the same exact problem that everyone else had.  KB2592687 was not installing on my workstations.  My environment: VMware vSphere ESXi 5.0 virtualizing Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machines.  What I ended up doing was I downloaded all MS updates / patches from MS to my VMs.  I then rebooted the VMs, tried once more to install KB2592687 and it installed without a glitch.  I verified that KB2592687 was installed by viewing the properties of the following file: c:\windows\system32\mstscax.dll. Clicking on the Details tab I could see that version 6.2.xx was installed.  Please let me know if this works for you.

• Edited by un_nica Wednesday, May 01, 2013 8:24 PM
    Wednesday, May 01, 2013 8:13 PM
  • I tried a 4 step process

1. apply the hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2574819)
    2. Stop the Remote Desktop Service
    3. apply the update (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592687)
    4. reboot

Still no joy.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Worked,

Thank you!

Thursday, December 05, 2013 1:02 PM