none
Outlook profile cross-platform for POP configurations ... RRS feed

• Question

• I have both Outlook for mac (2016) and Outlook for Windows (2019) on a dual-boot (bootcamp) configuration.

Primarily use Outlook for mac to download and save my emails (just email) with my email provider setup for POP as well as the same account setup in Outlook for mac. I basically have it download my inbox and sent items and then the email provider copy winds up in the trash after download is complete.

I like this setup, and prefer it over IMAP.

My question:  is it possible to put my entire outlook profile folder on a shared partition (such as an exfat), and also use outlook in windows to read/manage my emails from the same profile that outlook for mac uses ?

In this case, both windows-based and mac-based outlooks would be setup to point to the single instance of the profile which would reside on an exfat partition. And there would be NO simultaneous access to the profile (either windows is using it, or macOS is using it, but never both at the same time).

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

CS

Sunday, October 13, 2019 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi CS,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that you'd like to protect the privacy of your mail and as far as I know, an IMAP account is relatively safe. Just as jkorchok said, POP is no more secure that IMAP, your messgaes will also go through the server side then be download to the local when you are using a POP account.

So, to meet your needs, it is recommanded to configure your account as IMAP on both clients.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by zero1104 Tuesday, October 29, 2019 1:43 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2019 6:53 AM

All replies

• I've never tried that, but I doubt that would work. Don't try to simulate the benefits of IMAP with a goofy configuration that could cost you all your messages. I use IMAP for all important mailboxes so that I have guaranteed multiplatform access to messages (Mac, Windows and iOS). What advantage does your proposed setup have over that?
    Sunday, October 13, 2019 11:06 PM
  • no major advantage really .... i just prefer to pull my emails down to an offline residence rather than living in the cloud. just a sense that i own my email, not the sense that some cloud space does. i seldom ever use cloud services at all and mostly rely on network storage at home to hold anything personal like email, pictures, music, videos, etc. i did wonder about corruption with 2 different platform-specific versions of the sane application accessing the same data on a partition that is formatted differently than either host. and it would have given me more piece of mind, should the mac platform give me issues where i did not have time to resolve and need email access. or if i wanted to switch platforms it would be easy to simply copy the profile on mac to the windows side. if i wasn't skeptical about online safety, compromise/loss of my information, i would probably be using IMAP as well.

CS

Monday, October 14, 2019 1:50 AM
  • Hi CS,

When you configure your email account as a POP account in Outlook for Windows, your emails are in a PST file. And if you configure your email account as a POP account in Outlook for Mac your emails will be stored in an OLM file. These two types of files are different and cannot be automatically converted to each other. So I'm afraid there is no such way to make the two clients use the same data file.

The only way you can read/manage your emails in both Outlook for Windows and Outlook for Mac is to configure your account as IMAP on both clients. I understand that you are skeptical about online safety, in this situation, it is suggested to archive your mail every once in a while, in this way, you can archive your old messgaes in local and remove them from server. 

Archive messages in Outlook for Mac.

Archive messgaes in Ourlook for Windows.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 3:07 AM
  • it seems its one of those things where the same application by the same vendor locks the user profiles so that they are not interchangeable between operating system platforms. maybe there's some competitive politics between apple and microsoft associated with that, i'm not sure. it's one of those things that bugs me in that i have to basically force my email back into the cloud by turning on IMAP, and then bring it back down to the opposite OS's outlook. I would do that, if I were going to migrate to windows entirely.

somewhat odd to have to worry about this handicap, when i used to use thunderbird for my email, i had no issues going cross-platform. was able to download/compose/etc. from either windows or macOS using thunderbird for each platform.

even Apple's Mail app itself will allow me to export mail as MBOX if I had to. Whereas OML's only purpose in life is to lock email into the outlook for mac world and nowhere else. if i wanted to disseminate emails from the OML i would have to pay for an app that can do that.

either way, was worth asking about. perhaps i'll think about my options for what i want to do.

thanks all for chiming in.

CS

Monday, October 14, 2019 3:37 AM
  • Hi CS,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry that this problem may bother you, but I am afraid there is no built-in method for this.

By the way, if you think my reply above is helpful to you, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that the thread will be finished and others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, October 14, 2019 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 8:00 AM
  • IMAP is not a cloud service. POP is no more secure than IMAP. Whichever email service you use, your message security is in their hands whether it's POP or IMAP. I host my own email server, but all my accounts are IMAP.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:15 PM
  • i guess i mislabeled them. whether cloud or server based, in imap my email is out there in the care of the provider. i prefer more privacy and so i bring it into a local client. piece of mind i guess, knowing for one example, that my email content is not being mined behind the scenes to benefit of the provider in some way (monetary, advertising, etc).

CS

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:26 PM
  • Hi CS,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that you'd like to protect the privacy of your mail and as far as I know, an IMAP account is relatively safe. Just as jkorchok said, POP is no more secure that IMAP, your messgaes will also go through the server side then be download to the local when you are using a POP account.

So, to meet your needs, it is recommanded to configure your account as IMAP on both clients.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

• Marked as answer by zero1104 Tuesday, October 29, 2019 1:43 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2019 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Monday, October 28, 2019 9:02 AM
  • i thought about this a bit and think I want to try out IMAP.

I want to try out migrating to IMAP from POP3 in outlook for mac. my ultimate goal is to have both outlooks in mac and windows be able to use IMAP from gmail, and I can see all my email history. I have roughly 22,000 inbox emails, and 3800 sent emails.

I need some guidance please on how to do that safely. I typically do 2 independent backups of my email in outlook for mac: one method I copy the entire outlook profile folder to another location (daily). the other method I export all mail as OML (monthly).

I use POP3 in outlook for mac for 2 gmail accounts, and each gmail account downloads the Inbox and Sent items on gmail's server whenever I open outlook. After downloading all email, the gmail server copy of each email is put in the server-side Trash.

I have 2 folders within the "Inbox" top level (in outlook for mac): inbox:gmail account # 1, inbox:gmail account # 2. I have rules setup to sort the incoming emails into the corresponding folders.

I have 2 folders within the "Sent" top level (in outlook for mac): sent:gmail account # 1, sent:gmail account # 2, with rules setup to sort any emails that I send from other places, like my phone or gmail in a browser.

so, ultimately, I'll try out IMAP. Want to be able to use both of my email accounts from within Outlook for mac and Outlook for windows with all my emails present in both platforms and synchronized.

Would you be able to give me some step-by-step instructions to get my emails back on the server and then setup outlook in mac and windows using IMAP ?

Thank you

CS

Monday, November 4, 2019 3:44 AM