HP Recovery partition not working after upgrading to vista Ultimate. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.
    I didn't know where to post this problem so I posted it here.

I have a HP Pavillion PC that came pre-installed with windows XP, alongside a wide range of other media software from HP and HP's own specific software.

I recently purchased and installed Windows Vista Ultimate. Becuase it was  a clean install, I have lost all the preinstalled software. I wish to run a system recovery but it wont do anything when pressing F10.

My HP Pavillion desktop PC came with two hard-drives and one patition which contained the system recovery files.
    The recovery partition seems to contain the same volume of data, but on opening, there is nothing there. I have tried enabling hidden files and still nothing is visible.

I would very much appreciate any help.

Thank you!
    Monday, February 9, 2009 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi, the Windows Vista Announcements forum is for general Windows Vista FYI only. Please do not post questions in this thread and make sure to choose the appropriate Windows Vista forum before submitting an inquiry. For your information, you should contact HP support to solve your problem in timely manner. Thanks for your understanding!
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, February 23, 2009 7:46 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:20 AM

All replies

• Hi, the Windows Vista Announcements forum is for general Windows Vista FYI only. Please do not post questions in this thread and make sure to choose the appropriate Windows Vista forum before submitting an inquiry. For your information, you should contact HP support to solve your problem in timely manner. Thanks for your understanding!
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, February 23, 2009 7:46 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Andy Song

Read my title again!  First of all smart guy, why does this page give you the option to make a statement, or ask a question, if your not supposed to ask questions on here?!  Look at the top left corner.  Press that little button that says "new" with your cursor.  I'd expect this kind of behavior out of someone who is being paid $5 an hour!  Are you?  Second, if Mr. gates wants to retain any customers in our already declining economy, I think he should urge his employees to quit lying to get out of helping a customer in need!  Pc recovery does have issues in vista ultimate, it's not an hp issue.  See, there you go again trying to pon the problem of to someone else!  If you want to act like a bum and have no respect for yourself change occupations, and become a full time bum.  Hehehehe, one less thing for me to have to do.  Ya, I know that's what you're thinking, but you just dropped yourself down a rung.  This is exactly why there are so many alcoholics around.  They just can't figure out why they never feel better, so then comes the bottle.  Quit treating yourself like ____! 
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:53 AM
  • @  B.S. (nice handle, BTW :P ):
    1- the Windows Vista Setup forum would have been better, the Vista Migration forum would have been ideal.
    It does say at the top of this forum (as well as in the subtitle on the main page) "General Anouncements on Windows Vista."  ;)

As to your issue:
    HP recovery partitions (BTW:  you most likely have one physical hard drive, with two partitions....) aren't formatted in NTFS (nor, IIRC, are they formatted in FAT32), therefore, they aren't readable by Windows.  Usually, they aren't even openable.
    That yours is openable, is an issue in and of itself.  It shouldn't be by anything but the HP Recovery Console (invoked by the F10 key during POST), or the HP recovery-disc-creation app (which is now gone, since you overwrote XP.)

Are you absolutely certain that things are really in the recovery partition (that is, it shows a good amount of used space)?  What's Disc Management have to say?

Probably the easiest way to 'fix it' will be to order replacement recovery media from HP.  IIRC, they only charge $20 for the discs, shipped.

HTH,
    Chris

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Monday, February 16, 2009 3:30 AM
  • B.S., you might be the first time to be here. Andy is right, you should only provide some suggestions in the Announcement forum; if you have some problems you'd better choose the appropriate Windows forum while submitting your request. According to your problem description, I supposed that your HP recovery partition should be corrupt after upgrading to Windows Vista. In order to restore that partition, you have to contact with HP support personnel since your previous system is the OEM version and Microsoft would not support for this kind of OS. Good Luck!

Monday, February 16, 2009 7:35 AM