none
Optimize Drives System Reserved (SSD) Needs optimization. Clicking Optimize immediately stops and doesn't Optimize is this a problem?

Question

• I am new to windows 8 (now 8.1), and more importantly SSDs. In Optimize Drives my System Reserved is listed as Never run and Needs optimization, but it will not Optimize manually or from the Scheduler. When clicking Optimize for a split second you can see it says running under Last run but goes back to Never run and same with Needs optimization it shows trim for second then back to Need optimization. Is this a problem if so how do I fix it?
    Monday, October 21, 2013 11:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• It looks like other people are having the same issue and the fix for that is to exclude the SSD from the default scheduled maintenance and set up a new event in Task Scheduler that will just retrim the drive once per week.

Cheers,

Lance

Monday, October 21, 2013 12:38 PM
  • Is there a how to on this? I didn't get any trim software with my SSD
    Monday, October 21, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

You can refer to WIKI article about Trim. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

Hope this helpful.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 9:17 AM
  • Could you please explain how to do that step by step?
    Thursday, January 09, 2014 4:23 AM
  • +1 for that - can anyone explain step-by-step please?  

What confuses me is that I see that in Task Scheduler (under Microsoft > Windows > Defrag) there is a scheduled task already set up.

Also, I typed into the command prompt "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" which returned "0" telling me that Trim is active.  So, if this is all working correctly, why is my Defrag tool telling me that the system reserved partition requires optimisation???

• Edited by Horrgakx1 Friday, April 11, 2014 7:42 AM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 7:24 AM
  • For some reason, optimisation of the System Reserved partition always fails with this error: -

The volume System Reserved was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)

You won't see that error unless you look in Event Viewer. The System Reserved partition will always say "Needs optimisation" next to it in Optimise Drives.

Manually setting up a task to optimise the SSD doesn't fix this, as optimisation of the System Reserved partition will always fail with the above error. If that's your only issue as far as SSD optimisation is concerned, you can just exclude the System Reserved partition from scheduled optimisation in Optimise Drives, but all that does is stop the error being logged in Event Viewer every time the task runs - it does not fix the underlying issue.

• Edited by SigmaTheDJ Wednesday, May 07, 2014 8:17 AM
    Wednesday, May 07, 2014 8:17 AM
  • I'm having the same issue and from what is written on this page your suggestion does not fix the issue.  Has something been done to fix it yet or is there a workaround please?
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:49 PM
  • how do I exclude ssd I don't know how to do that
    Friday, October 16, 2015 12:07 AM
  • I have same issue on Windows 10. How can I fix this or should I not worry about it everything seems to be working find except that?
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:16 PM
  • windows 8.1 SUKS try the upgrade tool to see if windows 10 will run and install it
    Sunday, March 20, 2016 8:54 PM
  • how do i optimize the windows7 system
    Wednesday, February 07, 2018 2:19 PM