none
Remote apps 2012 R2 freezes at "Preparing Windows" for one user RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an issue that I can't seem to get to the bottom of. I have one user (thus far) that when she attempts to use her remote resources, The authentication initiates, goes through the four or five steps visible on the screen, and then suddenly hangs at "Preparing Windows". If I just let it sit there it will eventually proceed in about ten minutes, and then can be accessed.

I have tested on 3 different Macs and a Win 10 client, all with the same result. When I try my credentials, it works perfectly every time.

I've looked through the logs and I can not find anything indicating the issue.

I also followed this MS doc on User profile analysis:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/folder-redirection/troubleshoot-user-profiles-events

I ran the license analysis tool and indicates I have extra CALs so it's not that, in fact I saw the event where this user was assigned a new CAL about 2 weeks ago, but has had this issue since their first logon.

I see others have had similar issues but no concrete solution.

Please advise

Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:11 PM

Answers

• Update: We found the issue. This person move to a new position, but the old groups were still in her AD account. This was causing login scripts to try and map to folders, etc that no longer existed for her, and timing out which is why it would take 10 minutes for her to connect.

As soon as we removed the old groups from her AD membership, the issue went away. This explains why only one user had the issue.

Its apparent we need to evaluate our offboarding process for people leaving their current positions.

• Marked as answer by mmurphy58 Friday, August 23, 2019 4:49 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2019 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, problem only happens on specific user account, no matter which device this account log in from.

If there is no specific event or error, rebuild a new profile and migrate data to new profile is recommended. Otherwise, we may need to use monitoring tool to capture packages and have a detail log analyzing in order to have further identification.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 23, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Update: We found the issue. This person move to a new position, but the old groups were still in her AD account. This was causing login scripts to try and map to folders, etc that no longer existed for her, and timing out which is why it would take 10 minutes for her to connect.

As soon as we removed the old groups from her AD membership, the issue went away. This explains why only one user had the issue.

Its apparent we need to evaluate our offboarding process for people leaving their current positions.

• Marked as answer by mmurphy58 Friday, August 23, 2019 4:49 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2019 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share details. Your share might be helpful for other people who has similar problem. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 26, 2019 1:02 AM