folder view - always use detail view for FTP folders RRS feed

• Question

• I am using win7 pro x64.

I'm trying to apply the 'Details' Folder view to all folders on a network drive.  The network drive is a linux server.  
    1. I setup up the folder using the details view.
    2. I choose organize => folders and search options => view => apply to all folders.  I click 'OK'
    3. I browse to the other folders and they're all the same (tiles view).

Why won't this work?

If I manually change each folder to detail view it stays as detail view. But the default is tile view, and it is super annoying when there hundreds of folders.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, the Apply to folders function only work for local folders rather than Network folders, but Windows 7 can remember the Network settings.

For more information, please refer to the following link.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, October 7, 2011 2:42 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:17 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Ciprian RusenMVP Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, the Apply to folders function only work for local folders rather than Network folders, but Windows 7 can remember the Network settings.

For more information, please refer to the following link.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:17 AM
  • Yes I understand that, but when there are hundreds of folders its really annoying.  There should be a registry key or something that controls the default view for network folders.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ciprian RusenMVP Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:07 PM
  • I also have this problem. It is very frustrating.

How can I set the default view for ALL ftp directories to details folder view?

Remembering each folder view individually is not a useful "feature" when it prevents me from simply changing to details view and using that for the entire FTP!

EDIT: Also the proposed solution from 7 tutorials is useless. The issue is that Windows 7 does not use its viewing templates for ftp. There is no way to even get to the menu pictured in Step 1 for a remote FTP directory.
    • Edited by qwqweee Saturday, October 1, 2011 4:13 PM
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 4:09 PM
  • I was able to tolerate the behavior that the original poster described, but now Windows Explorer always uses the tiles instead of the detail view. I set the view to Details, go into a subfolder, set Details, do what I need to do, then go back to the previous folder and it's tiles again. I have to reset the view to Details to be able to work in the folder.

This started happening very recently. Maybe one of the recent Windows Updates changed the behavior.

I really need to be able to set the view to Details in FTP and have it stick. It's completely impossible to work in any other view when there are hundreds of items in a folder.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:56 PM