none
The task you are trying to do can't be completed because Remote Desktop Services is currently busy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am login on 2012 R2 server, but it shows "The task you are trying to do can't be completed because Remote Desktop Services is currently busy", could you please help me. I am taking the remote of that server. I can not restart the server because it is in production. Please help me to sort this out. 
    Friday, June 2, 2017 5:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Thanks for your reply,

when I have restarted this server from VM ware, issue got resolved. Please give me some better troubleshooting steps, I want to take action deeply. 

Monday, June 5, 2017 3:52 AM
  • Hi,
    Based on the symptom, it seems that there is locked or un-disconnected successfully RDP sessions on the server, resetting/killing sessions is generally helpful by rebooting 
    Regarding this error, this error might happen due to variety reasons, some causes include the followings based on my research:
    1. This issue occurs because of a deadlock situation that occurs between the Csrss.exe process and some applications (for example, Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Visio). https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2661332/you-cannot-reestablish-a-remote-desktop-services-session-to-a-windows-server-2008-r2-based-server
    2. This problem occurs because of a synchronization issue in the user profile service (profsvc) between the work thread and the main service routine. When the user profile service stops, the service might still be busy trying to clean up the profiles. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3014783/-remote-desktop-services-is-currently-busy-or-the-group-policy-client-failed-logon-error-when-you-log-on-to-an-application-in-windows-server-2008-r2?sd=rss&spid=14134
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 5, 2017 8:15 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for the reply,

On this server w3wp is taking high utilization, please help me.

Can you please elaborate how can I pour it from out, because it is very critical server, please give me some necessary steps which will beneficial. 

Monday, June 5, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Hi Can anybody reply on this, I am getting w3wp high utilization, please help me. This is also new problem has been raised.
    Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:15 AM
  • w3wp is related to IIS and seems like some of the application pools in your IIS is causing this issue. What role this server holds? Also, how frequently do you see this issue? Is this happening at any particular time? Does restarting the related IIS service resolve the issue? To troubleshoot this issue you will require perfmon log and may be the process dump later.

You can follow https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/troubleshoot/performance-issues/troubleshooting-high-cpu-in-an-iis-7x-application-pool

Also, you can try posting this query in https://forums.iis.net/t/1190247.aspx

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:39 AM
  • Yes, I have started perfmon and check all the process, w3wp is taking lots of the CPU utilization after I download Debug diagnostic tools, right now this server is in production, I cant be able to restart services.one thing I would like to tell that window is not activated so is that a bountiful reason for the w3wp , iis has high cpu utilizations ??

Please give me some solution.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

Please check this to see it helps:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/marcelofartura/2006/09/14/troubleshooting-iis-100-cpu-issues-step-by-step-intermediary/

And as APBi suggested, please post the questions in the IIS forum, the reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 9, 2017 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.
    Best regards,

Wendy

Monday, June 12, 2017 1:10 PM
  • Hi Wendy,

I am having the same issue in server 2016.When i take remote "The task you are trying to do can't be completed because Remote Desktop Services is currently busy" how do i fix this issue.

Kindly help me on this.

Regards

Suresh

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:15 PM
  • Hey Wendy, 

Can you help me too on this issue?

I have same error message.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:41 AM
  • Had a similar issue. Restarting the RDP service allowed the troubled user to log into the server (Warning: It will log off everyone that is currently remoted in).
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:24 PM
  • Had a similar issue. Restarting the RDP service allowed the troubled user to log into the server (Warning: It will log off everyone that is currently remoted in).
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:26 PM