none
Code 31 Device Manager Error when Installing New Wired Network Adapter

Question

• Hi

My existing onboard netowrk adapter was starting to become flaky under Windows 7 so I have bought and fitted the following:

Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter (PCIe x1)

I have managed to get Windows 7 to detect it and install drivers (I think). Its listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager and has a driver list there as dated 04/12/2009 and v11.4.7.0 & Digitally signed by Microsoft.

The problem is that it showing a Code 31 Error (This device is not working properly because its drivers could not be loaded). I've tried hitting the update driver buttton in Device Manager & Windows happily tells me I've got the most up to date driver installed. Uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't help either.

I'm stumped - how can the drivers both be there and have a Code 31?

Intel don't offer any dricers for this adapter its meant to a Windows 7 automatic job (confirmed on the MS Windows 7 Compatibilty Site).

I'm using Windows 7 Home Prem. (64-Bit).

Thanks
    Jetta
    All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:34 PM

Answers

• First, ASUS is not supporting Windows 7 for the M3A.

Secondly, interpret this as you may, but my read is that you need a platform (mobo & processor) that supports Intel EM64T to run in 64-bit mode.
    Excerpt from guide, system requirements:

Platform Requirements for Intel<sup>®</sup> Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel<sup>®</sup> EM64T)

Intel supplies 64-bit drivers for the following operating systems:

• Microsoft Windows Server 2008

• Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2

• Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V*

• Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003

• Microsoft Windows XP

• Microsoft Windows Vista

• Microsoft Windows 7

• Red Hat* Linux

• SUSE* Linux

• FreeBSD

A platform that supports Intel® EM64T will run in either 64-bit mode or 32-bit compatibility mode. In order for it to run in 64-bit mode, the following requirements must be met:

• The Intel EM64T system must have a 64-bit BIOS that takes advantage of Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology

• One of the supported 64-bit operating systems must be installed

The installer for the adapter drivers will only list the drivers that are compatible with the currently running operating system.

• If the system is running in compatibility mode, only IA-32 drivers will be available.

If the system is running in 64-bit mode, only Intel EM64T drivers will be available.

Here is the install drivers excerpt:

Install the Drivers in Microsoft Windows

NOTES:
    • These instructions apply to all versions of Microsoft* Windows* XP, Windows Vista*, Windows 7, Windows Server* 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2.

• This will update the drivers for all supported Intel® network adapters in your system.

Before installing or updating the drivers, insert your adapter(s) in the computer and plug in the network cable. When Windows discovers the new adapter, it attempts to find an acceptable Windows driver already installed with the operating system. 

If found, the driver is installed without any user intervention. If Windows cannot find the driver, the Found New Hardware Wizard window is displayed.

Regardless of whether or not Windows finds the driver, it is recommended that you follow the procedure below to install the driver. Drivers for all Intel adapters supported by this software release are installed.

1. If you are installing drivers from the Product CD, insert the CD. If you do not have the Product CD, download drivers from the support website and transfer them to the system.

2. If the Found New Hardware Wizard screen is displayed, click Cancel.

3. Start the autorun located on the CD. If you downloaded the software package from the support website, the autorun automatically runs after you have extracted the files.

4. Click Install Drivers and Software.

5. Follow the instructions in the install wizard.

Finally, I read in the release notes that when you get the message after driver install attempt, a reboot may be required.

Sell this puppy and get a basic PCI-e Gig adapter. Something like this one (USA seller), it just works. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166015

• Marked as answer by Jetta48 Tuesday, March 02, 2010 12:10 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:23 PM

All replies

• Do you have tyhe 64-bit drivers?  The error makes it sound like you're trying to use 32-bit drivers.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 10:59 PM
  • Did you try uninstalling it under device manager, reboot and see how it goes? Alternatively try updating the drivers using the following method>right click the network adapter in device manager>update drivers software>browse my computer for driver software>let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, verify if there's any available network adapter drivers that matches, if there is, choose those and install it
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:13 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi

I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling the drivers.

I've tried updating the drivers both automatically and manually, but it always fails. If I do it manually there are 4 drivers listed & all 4 fail with the message, 'The parameter is incorrect'.

As for 64-Bit drivers then shouldn't Windows know which one it needs and install the correct one? Also on Driver Details it lists the driver as, 'c/windows/system32/DRIVERS/e1q60x64.sys' which looks like a 64-Bit driver to me.

Thanks
    Jetta
    All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:36 AM
  • Hi Jetta48,
    Well the Intel product page is here : http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000ctdesktop/index.htm

Clicking on the software downloads from the support tab gives you this: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Network+Connectivity&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+Desktop+Adapters&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Gigabit+CT+Desktop+Adapter

So, if that doesn't work, you may have to try the extract the files and manual install method.

Do the 15.1.1 drivers work?
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Hi

I did manage to find a driver package (15.1.1) on Intel website - its a 20MB  *.exe file that wont work. I've tried all the Troubleshoot Compatibility options & done Run as Administrator on it. No joy - won't install drivers - still Code 31.

I thought that I'd done everything right when I purcharsed this card - it was listed on the vendor's website as Certified by Microsoft for Windows 7. I also checked on the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibilty Site as compatible (64-Bit).

MSFT...MVPs...anyone....forum cat....suggestions please....

Thanks
    Jetta
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:37 PM
  • Hi Jetta48,

Please try right clicking intel network card in device manager -

Update driver software - Browse my computer for driver software - let me pick from list ....

untick show compatiable hardware -  Intel - intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter.

Does it work now. 
    Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:04 PM
  • As we are all working in the dark about your hardware (motherboard, etc.), have you disabled the onboard adapter?

Does the BIOS recognize the Intel adapter?

Did you review the support article for the unpacking 0f the 15.1.1 package and manually installing the drivers?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 12:58 AM
  • If you could give us the make and model of your rig or motherboard, that would help. Like someone mention, try disabling onboard lan since you're using a network card
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:05 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi

Sorry if my last post sounded frustrated - long day.

First, system details:

AMD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz Q-Core
    Mobo - Asus M3A (latest BIOS)
    (on-board Atheros L1 Gigabit 10/100/1000 Base-T Controller)
    8GB RAM
    OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD (boot device - Win 7 Home Prem x64)
    Samsung 1TB HDD
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB/GDDR5
    PSU - 550W

Artiste1 - I've tried that several times for all of the listed relevant drivers. Windows detects the drivers, says can't install because he parameter is incorrect.

Nano Warp/Daniel/Ho - The BIOS does recognise my Intel adapter at boot. The support article (command line stuff) was way over my head. Disabling on-board adapter makes no difference.

The Intel driver package seems to extract two INTEL drivers to add to the existing Microsoft ones. If I try to install these manually using Update Driver then I get the problem I explained to Artiste1 above.

Thanks for all the help guys   8)
    Jetta
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:47 AM
  • If I understand the posts here, he is not having a problem installing the drivers.
    The problem is they do not load.
    Not loading is pointing at hardware / bios config / firmware / slot issue.

The first place I would have to look is at the card, is the card a known working card, is the card seated well in the slot,
    does the AMD motherboard that card (AMD is picky about PCI-e cards)

Can you try the card in a second system (intel based is better)?

Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:52 PM
  • First, ASUS is not supporting Windows 7 for the M3A.

Secondly, interpret this as you may, but my read is that you need a platform (mobo & processor) that supports Intel EM64T to run in 64-bit mode.
    Excerpt from guide, system requirements:

Platform Requirements for Intel<sup>®</sup> Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel<sup>®</sup> EM64T)

Intel supplies 64-bit drivers for the following operating systems:

• Microsoft Windows Server 2008

• Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2

• Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V*

• Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003

• Microsoft Windows XP

• Microsoft Windows Vista

• Microsoft Windows 7

• Red Hat* Linux

• SUSE* Linux

• FreeBSD

A platform that supports Intel® EM64T will run in either 64-bit mode or 32-bit compatibility mode. In order for it to run in 64-bit mode, the following requirements must be met:

• The Intel EM64T system must have a 64-bit BIOS that takes advantage of Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology

• One of the supported 64-bit operating systems must be installed

The installer for the adapter drivers will only list the drivers that are compatible with the currently running operating system.

• If the system is running in compatibility mode, only IA-32 drivers will be available.

If the system is running in 64-bit mode, only Intel EM64T drivers will be available.

Here is the install drivers excerpt:

Install the Drivers in Microsoft Windows

NOTES:
    • These instructions apply to all versions of Microsoft* Windows* XP, Windows Vista*, Windows 7, Windows Server* 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2.

• This will update the drivers for all supported Intel® network adapters in your system.

Before installing or updating the drivers, insert your adapter(s) in the computer and plug in the network cable. When Windows discovers the new adapter, it attempts to find an acceptable Windows driver already installed with the operating system. 

If found, the driver is installed without any user intervention. If Windows cannot find the driver, the Found New Hardware Wizard window is displayed.

Regardless of whether or not Windows finds the driver, it is recommended that you follow the procedure below to install the driver. Drivers for all Intel adapters supported by this software release are installed.

1. If you are installing drivers from the Product CD, insert the CD. If you do not have the Product CD, download drivers from the support website and transfer them to the system.

2. If the Found New Hardware Wizard screen is displayed, click Cancel.

3. Start the autorun located on the CD. If you downloaded the software package from the support website, the autorun automatically runs after you have extracted the files.

4. Click Install Drivers and Software.

5. Follow the instructions in the install wizard.

Finally, I read in the release notes that when you get the message after driver install attempt, a reboot may be required.

Sell this puppy and get a basic PCI-e Gig adapter. Something like this one (USA seller), it just works. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166015

• Marked as answer by Jetta48 Tuesday, March 02, 2010 12:10 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Hi

Bubbapcguy, interesting thoughts. I DO get installation failure errors during installation, yet in the Driver tab in Device Manager for the adapter it DOES give me the driver version no, & date, etc. However, on the General tab it DOES say 'This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)'. Also, on the Resources tab it DOES says' No resources are being used because this device has a problem'.

I cannot find any firmware updates for the card on the Intel support site.

The card is firmly installed with the securing screw fully tightened. The card looks straight and pushed fully home.

I can't try the 2nd PCIe slot on my mobo because it is totally obscured by my graphics card & I'm not taking that out because its huge & was an absolute nightmare to fit.    ;-)

Nobody else I know has a desktop PC - they all have laptops & netbooks. Does that make me old-fashioned?

If theres an unnderlying hardware clash, maybe returning the card for a refund & buying a completely different model with a different chipset would be worthwhile.

Thanks
    Jetta

Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Hi Jetta48,

Please uninstall the currently installed driver and then install the latest version for Windows 7 x64 (version 15.1.1) to see if the issue can be resolved. To download the latest driver, please click this Intel webpage.

If the issue persists, it is recommended contacting Intel Support directly to check this issue.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Nano Warp

I had already come to same conclusion as you - I'm flogging a dead horse. I will be returning it to seller for refund.

I genuinely hadn't anticipated this being a difficult upgrade - listed as Win7 x64 compatible - I though it was just going to be a case of whack the card in and install some basic drivers in about 2mins.

Thanks to every one for your help.
    Jetta
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Jetta48,
    I would have thought the same, drop it in and go. Well, I was looking at the specs and utilities for this card and it seemed to be more server oriented. It seems with a 32-bit OS, it would not be as difficult or possibly platform specific.  I assumed that you just wanted a gig network adapter. The other brands tend to use a standard realtek chip.

Good Luck and Best Regards!
    • Edited by Nano Warp Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:05 PM add info
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:04 PM