none
Windows 7 Pro Product Key invalid

Question

• I bought 2 copies of Windows 7 Pro (upgrade) and tried to install and when I typed in my key and clicked on next it says that its invalid.

I have tried both keys and get the same issue.
    I had XP Pro on it and did a fresh install i.e. didn't do the upgrade option.
    My system time is correct and win7 advisor said that it would work with my system. 
    So now what I can't find a number to call and I need my system.
    • Edited by Thom_Frost2004 Friday, October 23, 2009 4:52 AM added more info
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:49 AM

Answers

• Thom,

I am having the same problem as you.

Do the following....

1. Install Windows 7 using the clean install.

2. Leave the product key blank (this was mentioned above by someone above). If you were to enter your key at this step it would say it is invalid (same thing happens to me).

3. With the product key is empty Windows 7 Professional Upgrade will continue and will finish installing succesfully.

NOTE:  If you try to activate Windows 7 Professional Upgrade after it is installed it will ask you for your Product Key once again. I tried entering my key here and it gave me a more detailed error message. It said my key was only valid for upgrade installations and not valid for clean installations. It also listed some hex error code which I can not remember. This was very annoying to me. In the manual that came with my Windows 7 Professional Upgrade it says on page 6 in a footnote at the bottom of the page that it can be installed even if you have no operating system installed. I figured the install program would just ask for the user to insert their previous Windows XP/Vista installation disk to verify the user is upgrading. This is not the case.

4. With Windows 7 running insert the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade disc. It will then ask you if you want to Upgrade or do a Clean Install. This time pick upgrade. This is a big pain since you have to wait through another installation. It take longer but it works. You are basically upgrading Windows 7 over itself.

5. Windows 7 will ask you for the product key again. When you enter the key it should work this time.

6. After installaion is finsihed for the second time.......... you can then activate Windows 7 (I forget where the Windows Activation thing is buried in Windows 7). Just type activation in help and it will direct you to the proper screen for activation.

I hope this helps.

Good luck Thom!

Shane

• Proposed as answer by redsmall6 Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:51 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:07 AM
  • Hello Thom,

Before going any further, I want to know how you got the setup media, via downloading from the website or via the setup DVD provided by Microsoft. Are both product keys the right ones suitable for Windows 7 Professional? Try installing the system from existing Windows XP.

In addition, you can obtain more information via contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

How and when to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support

Good luck!

Andy

Friday, October 23, 2009 10:19 AM

All replies

• Friday, October 23, 2009 5:31 AM
  • Did you format your hard drive before trying to do the fresh install or did you launch the install while running windows xp. It sounds like you may have to reinstall xp and then run the clean install from within xp.

Friday, October 23, 2009 5:53 AM
  • I bought 2 copies of Windows 7 Pro (upgrade) and tried to install and when I typed in my key and clicked on next it says that its invalid.

I have tried both keys and get the same issue.
    I had XP Pro on it and did a fresh install i.e. didn't do the upgrade option.
    My system time is correct and win7 advisor said that it would work with my system. 
    So now what I can't find a number to call and I need my system.
    Hi Thom

How did you install Windows 7?

Give us some details please.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:00 AM
  • yes win7 that because it cant do a upgrade from xp directly. win7 did its thing and then like i said i get to the point where i type in my key and then it rejects them because i tried  both keys.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:00 AM
  • lol my copies of windows 7 are legal ManU PhiliP so don't need to buy a new key i just need the ones i have to work
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:02 AM
  • well win7 said that it cant do a upgrade from xp so i told it to erase my xp after it verified that i could upgrade. then it erased my xp and installed its self.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:06 AM
  • "yes win7 that because it cant do a upgrade from xp directly. win7 did its thing and then like i said i get to the point where i type in my key and then it rejects them because i tried  both keys."

If you installed an upgrade copy on a formated hard drive it will not activate properly, you need to be running windows xp put in the windows 7 install disk and then choose a custom install from there. It will still format your hard drive and then install Windows 7
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:07 AM
  • yup did that and win7 installed its self i didnt have it save my old xp 
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:10 AM
  • i put my win7 dvd in with xp running 
    it did its check
    it asked if i wanted to run the upgrade advisor didn't need to ran it before
    it did its thing rebooted my system
    it asked if i wanted to keep my xp i didnt so it used all my hd space for win7
    then it installed its self 
    got to where it asked for my key i typed in the first one it didnt like it tried the second one and it didnt like that one eather
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:20 AM
  • Hi guy,

If you have the valid product key, you can active the system via the phone. The way is very simple.

When we try to active our computer, we can choose “Show me other way to activate” instead of online activate, then choose “Use the automated phone system”. After follow the instruction to finish it.

If you have any error, let us know!

I hope this can help you out.

Sincerely!

John Zhu

Friday, October 23, 2009 6:29 AM
  • john zhu it wont get that far when i type in my key it says its invalid and will not go any further 
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:37 AM
  • Leave the product key box blank and click next.  It gives you 30 days to enter a key and activate.  This should allow you to get the info you need to activate over the phone.  I got my key and download yesterday and it also said invalid.  I am also doing a clean install, as it is required to go from one architecture to another (x86 to x64).

I've had about 5 issues so far with installation and still haven't got a working machine.
    • Proposed as answer by zapper067 Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:18 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

Let's bypass the input key process first, then activate the OS via phone just like I said before,

you just need uncheck the box before "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online". After that, we should be able to install the OS. 

At last, we would have 30 days to activate. 

Thanks!

I hope this will help you.

Sincerely!

John Zhu
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Hello Thom,

Before going any further, I want to know how you got the setup media, via downloading from the website or via the setup DVD provided by Microsoft. Are both product keys the right ones suitable for Windows 7 Professional? Try installing the system from existing Windows XP.

In addition, you can obtain more information via contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

How and when to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support

Good luck!

Andy

Friday, October 23, 2009 10:19 AM
    You may need to "upgrade" the existing install with the same DVD.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:44 AM
  • hi andy 

their physical dvd's i bought from amazon.com
    both copies are windows 7 pro upgrades
    i tried both keys and get the same message that its an invalid product key
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Thom,

Do the following....

2. Leave the product key blank (this was mentioned above by someone above). If you were to enter your key at this step it would say it is invalid (same thing happens to me).

3. With the product key is empty Windows 7 Professional Upgrade will continue and will finish installing succesfully.

NOTE:  If you try to activate Windows 7 Professional Upgrade after it is installed it will ask you for your Product Key once again. I tried entering my key here and it gave me a more detailed error message. It said my key was only valid for upgrade installations and not valid for clean installations. It also listed some hex error code which I can not remember. This was very annoying to me. In the manual that came with my Windows 7 Professional Upgrade it says on page 6 in a footnote at the bottom of the page that it can be installed even if you have no operating system installed. I figured the install program would just ask for the user to insert their previous Windows XP/Vista installation disk to verify the user is upgrading. This is not the case.

4. With Windows 7 running insert the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade disc. It will then ask you if you want to Upgrade or do a Clean Install. This time pick upgrade. This is a big pain since you have to wait through another installation. It take longer but it works. You are basically upgrading Windows 7 over itself.

5. Windows 7 will ask you for the product key again. When you enter the key it should work this time.

6. After installaion is finsihed for the second time.......... you can then activate Windows 7 (I forget where the Windows Activation thing is buried in Windows 7). Just type activation in help and it will direct you to the proper screen for activation.

I hope this helps.

Good luck Thom!

Shane

• Proposed as answer by redsmall6 Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:29 PM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:07 AM
  • Thom,

Do the following....

I hope this helps.

Good luck Thom!

Shane

hi thom!
    have you still got issues installing your win 7? shane and john zhu's contributions would be of help.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:54 AM
  • You can just do a clean install of windows 7 and leave the key space empty. Then, you have 30 days to find a new key that actually works.
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 1:54 PM