none
Disk corrupt with Windows 7

Question

• Hi,
    I've had some problem with the Beta 1.
    While I was just surfing the Internet and downloading  the most recent nvidia driver for my gpu, the disk has been locked (no possibility to write the downloading driver) and an error of disk corrupted appeared.

The system has suggested to make a scandisk, so I restarted the system and the scandisk has founded many errors and eliminated many indexes of file that seems to be driver.

After this, the system boot properly, but when I was installing the SoundMax driver for my audio card, it appears another advice of disk corrupted.

Another user has had my same problem.

I was running Win 7 64 bit on my pc so formed:
    Asus p5b Deluxe, Intel Core 2 duo e6400@3.2ghz (Thermalright XP-120), Twintech 8800GTS 512mb, G.skill 2x1gb pc2-6400 CL4 , Maxtor 320gb SataII

Thanks, and excuse me for my english xD
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    1 - No, I've installed Windows 7 in a new partition in a disk with Windows XP already inside. So Now I've a dual boot 7-XP. No upgrading from Vista.
    2- I don't know if the issue occurs ONLY when installing driver, but I was installing video and audio driver (nvidia and soundmax) on a fresh installation of 7.

I don't have the error message, sorry :(

Now I've formatted the previous installation of Windows7 and re-installed it. It seems to work well, also with that audio driver installed.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:35 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Whenever repeated errors crop up on a disk (and are fixed), the disk itself must be considered suspect until proven otherwise.  To check this, download a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the support website of the manufacturer of your hard drive.
    - John
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:34 AM
    Answerer

All replies

•  

Hi,

Before moving on, could you please confirm the following points?

1.       Did you upgrading Windows 7 beta version from Windows Vista?
    2.       Does the issue only occur when installing driver?

If possible, please let me know the detailed disk corrupted error message.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Hi,
    1 - No, I've installed Windows 7 in a new partition in a disk with Windows XP already inside. So Now I've a dual boot 7-XP. No upgrading from Vista.
    2- I don't know if the issue occurs ONLY when installing driver, but I was installing video and audio driver (nvidia and soundmax) on a fresh installation of 7.

I don't have the error message, sorry :(

Now I've formatted the previous installation of Windows7 and re-installed it. It seems to work well, also with that audio driver installed.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

I'm getting exactly the same problem as innaig86, I installed Windows 7 in a new partition and the disk corrupted error keeps coming up for me. I have done scandisk numerous times and each time i start windows 7 again after doing a scandisk, the error message keeps eventually coming back. The actual error code I am getting is 0x80070571 if that helps at all.

If anyone can help me fix this I would be very grateful.

innaig86 has said in his previous post that formatting the partition and re-installing the windows 7 beta should fix the problem, but what I dont understand is how that can fix it when I already installed windows 7 over a new partition.

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Whenever repeated errors crop up on a disk (and are fixed), the disk itself must be considered suspect until proven otherwise.  To check this, download a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the support website of the manufacturer of your hard drive.
    - John
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:34 AM
    Answerer
  • I've used the same disk image to install Win7 also on my Dell M1330.
    This time I've mounted the image in a usb pen and I've installed in this way.

At the first installation, same error...disk corrupt etc.
    It's happened while Windows Update was downloading some updates.

I've formatted and re-installed Win7 and now It works fine.

So, It's a disk image problem ?
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:03 AM
  • I have had this problem in three separate installations, all on a separate partition of a VISTA laptop. As I write this, CHKDSK is running on my Win 7 partition (I am in VISTA right now). I have seen enough references to know that this is not a problem that is unique to my machine. Also, i never have this problem n another other partition, so it is not my hard disk. I have not updated any drivers except those that I get in Windows Update inside of Win 7.
    Windows 7 beta dual booting with VISTA Home Premium 2 GB memory 160 HD Gateway Laptop HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 6:34 PM
  • I created a seperate partition using Acronis Disk Director for the Win 7 install (Vista is my promary OS). When Win 7 finished install and rebooted I got a seemingly neverending list of corrupt files. Fortunately it only effected the Win 7 partition--not the Vista partition. But if I create a partition using DD10 and THEN format it from within Vista, the Win 7 install goes fine and there are no corrupt files.  The same thing happened installing bouth the 32 and 64-bit versions. I tend to believe this is a DD10 problem rather than a Windows problem.
    • Proposed as answer by NetworkPro Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:10 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:37 PM
  • I have the same problem. I have WD 160 Gb hdd. I split this into two partition. In first partition I have WinXP then I installed Win7 7000 32bit to the second partition. Had no problem in intallation progress. After a while the partition I've installed Win7 begin to alarm "corrupted drive. Run Chk disk." I tried to fix but I couldn't. I thought my Hdd physically corrupted so I bought a new WD 500Gb Hdd. Made the same thing on it. Splited before I install any os. first install WinXP then install Win7 7057 32 bit. Again no problem in installation but the partition where I installed Win7 is corrupted again.

Two different drives, same problem.

I used Acronis Disk Director Suit 10.0.2160 when formating new Hdd.
    *No virus any possible ways

Thanks.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:28 AM
  • This is a problem of Microsoft NTFS code failing to work OK with all NTFS types. In my opinion Microsoft MUST make Vista nad 7 work with / repair the NTFS made with Acronis.
    • Proposed as answer by NetworkPro Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:12 PM
  • edit:  Commentary and opinion provided by Doc

Certainly no fan of finger pointing here, and I would love to see companies work to resolve bugs and spare the customer a lot of grief and unnecessary time on the phone, not to mention countless days waiting for emails (with phoney customer support names and preformatted, auto-generated responses) whose only resolution and recommendation is to re-format, re-install, and have the problem still exist.  And, when that does not work, let's blame Microsoft. 

What a concept - spare the customer the problem and grief...

The art of debugging and troubleshooting is gone, lost in the maze of first level support who have no clue as to what the problem is, or even understanding what the problem is.  Companies who only communicate via a webpage and respond in their own time; that, or companies who hope you will find some forum that supports you better than they can...

That said, and I have many issues with HP and how they approach software development (like locking a driver install to adobe flash9b.ocx), it does look like HP has acknowledged this particular bug:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01625660

Doc
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:42 PM
  • I created a seperate partition using Acronis Disk Director for the Win 7 install (Vista is my promary OS). When Win 7 finished install and rebooted I got a seemingly neverending list of corrupt files. Fortunately it only effected the Win 7 partition--not the Vista partition. But if I create a partition using DD10 and THEN format it from within Vista, the Win 7 install goes fine and there are no corrupt files.  The same thing happened installing bouth the 32 and 64-bit versions. I tend to believe this is a DD10 problem rather than a Windows problem.

Hmm, Acronis DD you say? That might be a crappy piece of software right there.

"Since Acronis came into my life, I had not a single sleep without seeing that fancy hexadecimal 0x80070571.."

Basically, my Win 7 installation history is pretty much similar with that one of Zorki1c: got Vista, installed Acronis DD, made  a primary NTFS - partition using the latter, installed x64 7. Problems began in no time: cannot update, install, etc. Guess I'll have to reformat using MS' utilities.

Till the reinstall, shall post the result shortly 

edit:

.. wasn't quite 'shortly': I was playing with 7 after having it properly installed.

So here it is: Acronis Disk Director IS NOT suitable for making installation NT file systems ( even from within Vista; ntfs.sys - drivers aren't the same, 6.0 and 6.1 ).
    Not the fact that any other disk partitioner would not cause incompatibilities. Albeit, it's fine to make storage space using 3rd party products, you have to format it from within Windows 7 installation.
    • Edited by coderodde Wednesday, April 01, 2009 12:24 PM update
    • Proposed as answer by Danijel Snajder Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:55 AM
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 6:31 AM
  • Same error problem. XP dual boot with Windows 7100. Partition created with Acronis Disk Director.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:58 AM
  • This is a problem of Microsoft NTFS code failing to work OK with all NTFS types. In my opinion Microsoft MUST make Vista nad 7 work with / repair the NTFS made with Acronis.
    No disrespect intended and I love Acronis, but it must be the third party product that becomes compatible with the new OS. Otherwise we'd still be running 3.11 on FAT. ;) Seriously, the wait and committment from certain vendors is longer/weaker than others. Logitech, I'm looking at you. I'm waiting for Carbonite and True Image x64 and assume they will be available around the release of Windows 7. Acronis DD is getting a little long in the tooth.

By now folks should know that Windows 7 creates an additional partition for system use that you won't get from a third party. I have three partitions on my main drive and by simply deleting the first one I then used Windows 7 to recreate it. Windows 7 does an even better job at partitioning and I have never ended up with Windows on the E: drive. Also, I just realized that Windows 7 does repair an Acronis NTFS. The steps are to delete it and create a new one. :D

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Apparently this problem still persists, although I do not experience it running in Balanaced or Battery Mode. I have not tried High Performance since early in the beta process. Does anyone know if I can run in High Performance with incurring this, or even if this has anything to do with the problem?

Early in the Beta, I had a problem with repeated itterations of CHKDSK when starting Win 7. Apparently, I eventually resolved this by using only Balanced or Power Saving, but not Hight Performance power modes.

Does anyone know if this problem was solved by the time the RC was released, i.e., can I now use High Performance without incurring this problem?
    Windows 7 beta dual booting with VISTA Home Premium 2 GB memory 160 HD Gateway Laptop HP Officejet 6310 All-in One inkjet printer Verizon FIOS Internet Connection
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 4:24 PM
    No disrespect intended and I love Acronis, but it must be the third party product that becomes compatible with the new OS.... 

That's true, but should the OS assume that it is compatible with any NTFS partition when it installs?  This clearly isn't the case so maybe installer should encourage you to reformat?

The problem remains the same with the RC, by the way.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Hey everyone.
    I installed Win7 to 2 other computers. The first is mine and the other is my brother's computer.
    When installing it to my pc I used Acronis Disk Director to format my partition and after the installation I am getting those "corrupt disk" errors.
    But when installing it to my bro's pc I chose the format option on the win7 installation DVD and then installed it. And now my brother is using it without any errors.

So, use the custom installation option on the installation DVD and see your partitions and choose one partition to install win7 and format it and finally install win7. 
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:05 PM
  • See this thread on the Acronis support forum:

It will be interesting to see if either Acronis or Microsoft bother to do anything about this.  Microsoft can blame Acronis and Acronis can say their product was not intended for Windows 7, so I doubt if there will be any change.  
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:39 PM

• This seems to leave me no reliable way to shrink my Vista partition to preserve it, create a second, then load and dual-boot Win7.

Does anybody know a certified reliable way?

I did this using Acronis True image before I became aware of the problems associated with it.  When I rebooted the computer after shrinking the partition it immediately went into Startup Repair mode (it's a laptop) which ran for some time but eventually succeeded.  The Vista installation on the shrunken partition has behaved normally thereafter but I had an anxious 20 minutes or so.  I would not for one minute suggest this was a "certified reliable way".
    Monday, July 20, 2009 9:59 PM
  • I'm finding irreparable disk corruption in a dual-boot WinXP 32-bit / Win 7 x64 system using the released Win 7.
    This is Win 7 Home Premium on an Intel DG33BU board (latest BIOS) with all of the latest Win 7 x64 drivers from Intel.
    The WinXP system ran find on a 500 MB NTFS partition occupying the entire drive (using IDE driver, not AHCI)
    I then used Acronis Disk Director 10 to resize the partitions, with 100 MB for XP and 400 MB for Win 7 x64.
    I then installed Win 7 on the 400MB partition. I believe I let Win 7 do a QUICK NTFS format of the partition.

Now I get disk corruptions all of the time, and cascades of errors in the Event Viewer and chkdsk.

So I am going to wipe the disk, do a slow format in Win 7, and let Win 7 occupy the entire disk.

What a huge waste of time.

Is anyone else finding this problem still?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:53 PM
  • .......... I believe I let Win 7 do a QUICK NTFS format of the partition........

I don't know if it changed in the RTM version but the default option in the RC version was no format if the partition was already formatted as NTFS.  I don't think you need to wipe the disk (unless your Windows XP installation no longer works), just do a slow (full) format of the partition you want to install Windows 7 on.          
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:42 PM
  • .......... I believe I let Win 7 do a QUICK NTFS format of the partition........

I don't know if it changed in the RTM version but the default option in the RC version was no format if the partition was already formatted as NTFS.  I don't think you need to wipe the disk (unless your Windows XP installation no longer works), just do a slow (full) format of the partition you want to install Windows 7 on.          

Okay, I booted up the Win7_x64 DVD, deleted the Win7 partition, created a new partion, formatted the partition (to my surprise, this still only required about 10 seconds for 400GB), and then installed Win7_x64. After extensive exercising of both Win 7 and Win XP, numerous reboots, and installing a lot of software, I can pronounce the problem solved. Thanks to all of you for helping out. BTW, I get a 5.7 Windows Experience rating (compute-bound) on a lowly 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo with Nvidia 8600 GT graphics (6.4 Gaming Graphics rating). Now I just have to replace my three $50 copies of Acronis on various PCs before I upgrade them...
    Friday, October 30, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Don't know if this is related, but I'm desperate to find a solution.  My XP x32 partition keeps getting corrupted when I run Win7 x64.  Here are the facts...

I have XP Pro x32 installed on drive 0, partition 0 (IDE).  I have Win7 Pro x64 installed on drive 2, partition 0 (SATA).  XP was always installed and since I knew not all my apps would work on 7, I decided to keep a dual boot system for a while.

Drive 2 was a brand new SATA drive.  I booted from the Win7 CD, formatted Drive 2 with a single NTFS partition and installed Win 7 x64. 

So in summary, when booted to XP, XP is my C drive and Win 7 is my L drive.   When booted to Win 7, Win 7 is my C drive and XP is my D drive.

Everything seemed to be working fine in Win 7 when all of a sudden I got a popup that my D drive "could not be used until it is formatted."  WHAT????  I used Explorer to look at my D drive (XP) and sure enough, 0 files and drive cannot be accessed.  It appeared as if the partition had been wiped out.

The 1st time I got this error I shut down and attempted to reboot into XP.  Boot process had to perform a CHKDSK first but eventually I got back into XP.  Phew!

The 2nd time I got this error I was not so lucky.  I shut down and could not boot.  My BIOS told me the disk was not readable.  I had to reinstall XP !!!  Very disgusted.

I ran hard disk health check tools and my drives are all fine.

So now I'm afraid to run Win 7 again.  I do use Acronis True Image to backup my partitions and restore them.  Anybody know how I can prevent the XP partition corruption?

Thanks, thorne
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Don't know if this is related, but I'm desperate to find a solution.  My XP x32 partition keeps getting corrupted when I run Win7 x64.  Here are the facts...

I have XP Pro x32 installed on drive 0, partition 0 (IDE).  I have Win7 Pro x64 installed on drive 2, partition 0 (SATA).  XP was always installed and since I knew not all my apps would work on 7, I decided to keep a dual boot system for a while.

Drive 2 was a brand new SATA drive.  I booted from the Win7 CD, formatted Drive 2 with a single NTFS partition and installed Win 7 x64. 

So in summary, when booted to XP, XP is my C drive and Win 7 is my L drive.   When booted to Win 7, Win 7 is my C drive and XP is my D drive.

Everything seemed to be working fine in Win 7 when all of a sudden I got a popup that my D drive "could not be used until it is formatted."  WHAT????  I used Explorer to look at my D drive (XP) and sure enough, 0 files and drive cannot be accessed.  It appeared as if the partition had been wiped out.

The 1st time I got this error I shut down and attempted to reboot into XP.  Boot process had to perform a CHKDSK first but eventually I got back into XP.  Phew!

The 2nd time I got this error I was not so lucky.  I shut down and could not boot.  My BIOS told me the disk was not readable.  I had to reinstall XP !!!  Very disgusted.

I ran hard disk health check tools and my drives are all fine.

So now I'm afraid to run Win 7 again.  I do use Acronis True Image to backup my partitions and restore them.  Anybody know how I can prevent the XP partition corruption?

Thanks, thorne

I can't say for certain, but here is what I would try. Unfortunately it will cost $100-150:

1. Update the BIOS in your motherboard and make sure the battery on your motherboard is working. Recheck all BIOS settings. This not only gets you the latest code and data, but it also refreshes any weak (corruptible) flash memory bits.

2. Replace your remaining IDE drive with a SATA drive so that you are all-SATA. Set the mode for all SATA drives in the BIOS to "IDE", rather than "AHCI".

3. Create and format ALL partitions using the Windows 7 installation DVD only. Use the latest build boot CD of Acronis True Image 2010 to restore any partitions and MBR for XP if you have to (but it would be safer to re-install XP and Windows 7, rather than restoring images). In my case it seemed to be okay to use XP or Acronis True Image 2009 to create and format the XP partition, but avoid any Acronis other than True Image 2010 when dealing with the Windows 7 partition!

4. Remove the gaps in your hard drive assignments, e.g. Use C: for one OS and D: in the other OS. Windows disk manager will let you move your optical drives to to other drive letters, and this hasn't caused any problems for me.

5. Install XP and Windows 7. Be sure to use or update to only the very latest device drivers from your computer or motherboard manufacturer's support web site.

I am doing the same thing you are, but just using 2 partitions on a single hard drive. The key to fixing the problem was to avoid having Acronis older than 2010 create or format the Windows 7 partition. Even with 2010 you should ask Acronis Support to send you the ISO file for the latest build and burn a bootable CD-ROM for yourself to use.

Please let us know how it turns out!

Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Thorne, I'm pretty sure your problem is NOT related to this thread.  This thread is all about problems caused by installing Windows 7 on a partition formatted with Acronis Disk Director.  Acronis True Image is a completely different product.  I run a dual boot system very like the one you describe and have no problems.  When I did have problems it was only with the partition running Windows 7.

I think your XP drive is faulty.  You should always assume this when you see errors of the type you describe; this thread is about a rare exception rather than the rule.  You may have run disk health check tools but most of these are created by drive manufacturers who have a vested interest in the result.  I do not believe these tools always spot disk faults.  I don't think you should be afraid to run Windows 7 but I would be very surprised if your Windows XP disk does not malfunction again!     
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:01 AM
  • I'm getting the same problem as everyone else here. I created a partition on my hard drive to perform a clean installation of Windows 7 x64. I am currently using Windows Vista x86. I created the partition to copy all my files from my current operating system to my new one. While I was copying my music collecting the file transfer window abruptly came to a stop and then I began to get the window saying to perform a chkdsk. Each time I perform the "chkdsk /f x:" new errors appear. Could I solve the problem simply by wiping that faulty partition and using a different software to create a partition? Is Acronis DD10 complete trash? I already heard that they released an update of their software just to cancel out Windows 7 use, and I am using version 2160 which is supposed to be the one that still works. And I know my HDD is not faulty itself because it is brand new, I just purchased it a few months ago replacing an older Hitachi that failed, and I used the Seatools program and the S.M.A.R.T. check detected it is healthy.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 3:59 AM
  • ....Could I solve the problem simply by wiping that faulty partition and using a different software to create a partition? 
    Pay attention, Xeysz.  You can solve the problem by wiping the faulty partition and using the Windows 7 disk to format the partition before you (re-)install.  The problem with Acronis Disk Director only arises if you use it to format the partition you create. 
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:20 AM
  • This could be another case of http://tinyurl.com/w7corrupt (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/df935a52-a0a9-4f67-ac82-bc39e0585148)

Setup tools can get in this error condition if they install to a location that is indexed by Windows Search.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:07 AM