Can't save a remote desktop session password on one particular Win 10 PC "your credentials did not work" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have 1 computer that won't save remote desktop credentials properly.   It is running the latest Windows 10.   I have tested with others and they work to the same remote computers without problem.

I have gone to windows credential manager and deleted the entries for any remote computers on that system.

I've recreated them.   I get the following - 

"your credentials did not work"

"Your system administrator does not allow the use of saved credentials to log on to the remote computer x.x.x.x because its identity is not verified. Please enter new credentials."   

If you put in the password it logs in.   I'm copying and pasting as well as manually typing to edit the saved entry and it gives the same error every time.   I'm remoting from a win 10 all patched to win 10 all patched - tried to remote to multiple machines and it has the same problem - no problem from other computers.

I don't see any events in the event log.

Again I've gone to credential manager and deleted the settings and it still happens.

Friday, July 24, 2020 5:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-your-credentials-did-not-work-for-remote-desktop-connection-windows-10

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Friday, July 24, 2020 9:39 AM
  • Thanks - is this on the remote desktop machine or on the machine trying to connect?
    Friday, July 24, 2020 1:46 PM
  • Thanks.  I'll give it a try.
    Friday, July 24, 2020 1:47 PM
  • HI
    1.what's the differece between normal computer and issue computer?
    1).can you enter winver in command prompt on win10 computer and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    2)can you enter gpresult /h c:\normal.html on normal computer and enter gpresult /h c:\issue.html on issue computer,then check if there is any difference policy between them?
    2.if we create a another local account and use this account to logon issue win10 then remote access the remote computer ,will the same issue happen ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

"Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 7:01 AM
  • HI

Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

"Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, July 31, 2020 7:44 AM
  • HI
    If the problem persist,can you post new issue on new Microsoft Q&A 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

"Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services)"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, August 6, 2020 6:14 AM