none
Vista & IE 8 MS reporting services web app error "an error occurred during this operation"

Question

• Hi All,

Hope someone can help with this

- OS = Vista 6.1 build 6001 SP1 (installed patch 969497 this morning)
     - Trying to print in a  web based application using Microsoft reporting services 2008
     - when I click print it gives error "an error occurred during this operation"
     - Internet Explorer 8 (in compatibilty mode for the site I am trying to print on)
     - will not let me install active X directory client
     - will not let me delete the RS Client file form C: Windows\Downloaded program files in order to attempt to reinstall the active X client
     - I am administator on PC
     - Anyone any ideas

Friday, May 8, 2009 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Since we could not print with any printer in the application, the reporting services program works properly. The issue is caused by the IE based application.

I suggest that you reset IE to default settings.

1. Click Start, please type “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
    2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
    3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.
    4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
    5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.
    6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Settings box.
    7. Click Apply, click OK.

If the issue still occurs, remove the application, and reinstall it. If the issue reoccurs, remove all installed toolbars from Control Panel/Program and Features. Then check the result again.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

That web based application can be not compatible with IE 8. Therefore the printing does not work an d the ActiveX cannot be installed.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

Other users using the same Web App on IE8 are able to print fine.

regards,

accountsIQ

Monday, May 11, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Can you print in IE or other applications using Microsoft reporting services 2008? Also can you print in the web based application using some printers properly? Please let me know the result.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:16 AM
  • Hi,
    Changed default printer same error. Can print with word, IE etc fine, do not have any other MS reporting services on my PC to check.
    Have troed to enable / disable the active X on-add in manage add ons section
    cannot deelte the RSS cleint file form the downloaded programs files folder in Windows to recreate it.
    It iwll not let me delete it

Any more ideas appreciated
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

Since we could not print with any printer in the application, the reporting services program works properly. The issue is caused by the IE based application.

I suggest that you reset IE to default settings.

1. Click Start, please type “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
    2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
    3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.
    4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
    5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.
    6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Settings box.
    7. Click Apply, click OK.

If the issue still occurs, remove the application, and reinstall it. If the issue reoccurs, remove all installed toolbars from Control Panel/Program and Features. Then check the result again.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:38 AM
  • Hi accountsiq,

Were you able to resolve your problem?  We have the same issue.

Thanks.

Monday, June 29, 2009 1:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Toni Rossmann Monday, August 17, 2009 11:54 PM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 11:54 PM
  • Arthur:
    What do you mean "remove the application"?

What application? This is not listed in Control Panel Add/Remove Apps even on a clean install from what I can tell.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:18 PM