none
ATI Mobility Radeon X600 driver update installs but screen goes black

General discussion

• My HP Pavilion zd8000 came with the ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics card.
    When I installed Windows 7, it auto-updates the driver (recognizing it by name), then upon restart, the screen goes black.
    Had to restart in safe mode and uninstall.
    Anyone else with this problem? Anyone find a solution?
    Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 6:58 PM

All replies

• Hello,

According to your problem description, please perform the following steps to narrow down the issue.

Run Windows Low-resolution 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Enable Low-resolution video (640*480) option, and press Enter.

5) Then install the display card driver in Windows Low-resolution mode.

(You should contact ATI support to obtain the right device driver compatible with Windows 7)

Note: In Low-resolution Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by lakleeman Friday, June 19, 2009 11:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:03 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by lakleeman Friday, August 07, 2009 4:11 PM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Same result. 
    Presumably installs the correct driver (it still identifies the correct graphics card), but screen is black/not working.
    The ATI website has a few other cards listed, but not my X600.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:03 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:03 AM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Same result. 
    Presumably installs the correct driver (it still identifies the correct graphics card), but screen is black/not working.
    The ATI website has a few other cards listed, but not my X600.

Did you try the driver in The Definitive ATI Compatability Thread , choose the last 32 or 64 bit download in the first post in that thread, depending of course on which version Win7 you have installed, should work.., please report back
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:43 PM
  • How many video ports do you have.  If you have 2 you may want to try the second port.

Some posts here say Win 7 goes to second port.

What type of display do you have attached?

Can you attach 2 monitors?

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 4gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.6
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Did you try the driver in The Definitive ATI Compatability Thread , choose the last 32 or 64 bit download in the first post in that thread, depending of course on which version Win7 you have installed, should work.., please report back

I tried that, and it did not work.
    It said "installation complete" and the "install log" says:

Catalyst® Install Manager
    Installation Report
    05/10/09 19:56:18

Hardware information 
    Name ATI Radeon Graphics Processor 
    Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc 
    Device ID 0x3150 
    Vendor ID 0x1002 
    Class Code 0x030000 
    Revision ID 0x00 
    Subsystem ID 0x3082 
    Subsystem vendor ID 0x103c 
    Other hardware 

Existing packagesATI Catalyst Install Manager 
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable 

Other detected devices 
    Error messages 

Still have the same problem. Any other ideas?

Monday, May 11, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Another person said that happened to them, they said they just went to device manager -> right click on your display adapter -> select "update driver software" -> select "browse my computer for driver software -> select "let me pick from a list...." -> select "have disk" -> select "browse" -> browse to the folder where your device drivers are located , probably either C:\ATI\Support\9_3_Win7_64_dd\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF or C:\ATI\Support\9_3_Win7_32_dd\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF depending whether you are using 32 bit or 64 bit, by the way, which are you using and while you are in device manager can you please right click on the adapter, select properties -> details tab and select "Hardware ID" from the drop down menu. copy and paste the details here for me if this didn't work so I can investigate further, I have had some people with different hardware ids and have fixed that up for them in different threads...
    Monday, May 11, 2009 2:26 AM
  • I have a similar problem. Got ATI Mobility Radeon X600 and Windows 7 RC would detect the graphics card as Intel graphics card. The laptop I have is Acer and I am not able to install the ATI provided vista rtm driver. Neither can I install manually as suggested by shakeyplace
    Any help in this regard is appreciated since the max display resolution I get is 1024x768 and w/o h/w accerelation which does not look good.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:19 PM
  • I have a similar problem. Got ATI Mobility Radeon X600 and Windows 7 RC would detect the graphics card as Intel graphics card. The laptop I have is Acer and I am not able to install the ATI provided vista rtm driver. Neither can I install manually as suggested by shakeyplace
    Any help in this regard is appreciated since the max display resolution I get is 1024x768 and w/o h/w accerelation which does not look good.

Did you try both methods in my thread? Did you follow my instructions for installing, cause otherwise windows decides it's own drivers are better cause they are dated newer. If so, I have seen the odd card with different "Hardware ID"s, I suggest perhaps you go to device manager and get the hardware id and post it here for me, I will check it out. Also, are you using Win7 32 or 64 bit?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:30 PM
  • If you are trying my 32 bit download and having trouble installing choice #2 in the first post, try this...

TEST inf file or

post your "Hardware ID" here and I will have a look
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:49 PM
  • My HP Pavilion zd8000 came with the ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics card.
    When I installed Windows 7, it auto-updates the driver (recognizing it by name), then upon restart, the screen goes black.
    Had to restart in safe mode and uninstall.
    Anyone else with this problem? Anyone find a solution?
    Thanks.

had similar prob with my desktop ,turned out to be screen resolution didnt like running at a particular refresh rate (Hertz) altered fresh rate to co-incide with screen resolution i knew worked and got my screen back..could be that simple maybe not but worth a try.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:39 AM
  • I had this problem with a Toshiba Tecra  M4 - I replaced the updated driver that updates installed with the original driver from the laptops driver set. Although designed for xp it works correctly while the one that Windows 7 tries to download and install (but only with your persission) seems to work but then crashes out - especially if you try to tell it that you have rotated the screen.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Hello,  I have the same problem on a zd8000, i.e., ATI driver 561 gives black screen. Standard VGA works fine upto 1280x786 but not any higher. I followed your instruction to get the latest ATI driver 591, dated 2/25/2009, installed. But same problem happens and I had to boot into safe mode to switch to standard VGA.  The hardware ID is PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_3082103C&REV_00

thanks for your help!
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Hello,  I have the same problem on a zd8000, i.e., ATI driver 561 gives black screen. Standard VGA works fine upto 1280x786 but not any higher. I followed your instruction to get the latest ATI driver 591, dated 2/25/2009, installed. But same problem happens and I had to boot into safe mode to switch to standard VGA.  The hardware ID is PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_3082103C&REV_00

thanks for your help!

Well Mobility Modder has finally got the quirks worked out for the ATI 9550 and newer on Win7, including the X600 on the zd8000, you can now use the tool available at http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php to mod the ATI drivers for support of mobility and desktop cards, without me having to edit the files manually, So I can now suggest that you download their program, the latest Win7 drivers from ATI, and let their tool do the work. Again, that won't help on cards before tha 9550 and I know there is the odd card missed which I can manually add for anyone that requires it. ATI drivers can be dowmloaded at http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx The newest version is 8.612.0. Try that.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Well, I tried out the new mobility modder, does not work on older cards for drivers newer than 9.3, so if you use it on older cards use ati catalyst 9.3 or older, it may work without modding depending on which specific card you have
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:56 PM
  • I got the 9.4 version (612) installed. Now it works for the 1280x1024 mode but still backscreen for higher modes. BTW, anybody knows if this is an ATI issue or MSFT issue? Any ATI reps here?
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:11 PM
  • hey shakeyplace, I've tried all the suggestions that you have listed out and nothing has worked for me. I followed the definitive guide and it I still got the black screen. Tried that mobility modder, it didn't even install the driver properly. I have a pavilion zd8000 so I went to HP's website and downloaded the graphic driver for windows xp. It worked and everything looked perfect but everytime I try to put the computer to sleep, restart, or shut-down, I get the blue screen of death. The error's being caused by the ati2dvag problem (you can google that one). Anyhow, I would appreciate it if you can help me resolve this problem as I really need this to be working properly. If you need any information from me, please let me know. thanks.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:20 AM
  • @ austin12,
    your device, as far as I can tell should either be X300 or X600 and have one of these two "Hardware ID"s

"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300 " = ati2mtag_M22, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5460
    "ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600" = ati2mtag_M24, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150
    (I assume the latter since we are in this thread..)
    are you running Windows 7 32 bit?
    if so, try downloading the X86 package  32 Bit Version , unzip that package, you will have a folder called "X86" with about 42 files and 1 folder in it;

Once you have the file downloaded and extracted you must follow these instructions or Win7 will not install the drivers as the generic drivers it uses by default has a newer date. Install by going to device manager -> right click on your display adapter -> select "update driver software" -> select "browse my computer for driver software -> select "let me pick from a list...." -> select "have disk" -> select "browse" -> browse to the folder where your device drivers are located and then select CL_73150.inf and follow the prompts to install the driver
    I know is is a bit time consuming, but as I said any other way and Windows thinks that it's generic driver is better because it is newer. ATI went and made a number of inf files instead of one or two as they usually do. If you leave that "show only compatable devices" checkbox checked then as soon as a device shows up, it will be compatable, select it then install. If by chance nothing shows up with any of them then go in device manager, get your "Hardware ID", post it here for me and I will have a look into it as soon as I can
    PS, I believe this has been corrected in newer releases of Win7 so you won't have to do this once the final version comes out!
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:13 PM
  • shakeyplace, do you have the modded drivers for an ATI All in Wonder X600?  I've got this card but I'm having trouble finding the drivers for Win 7.  It exists for Vista but that's a no go.  Any help or tips would work.  Thanks.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:24 PM

• @ austin12
    I have had issues with my package from Ati not installing correctly for some, including the X600 and X300 series, I did put out a fix that worked for your card in one thread somewhere here, but here is a replacement package that should work fine, I will update that definitive thread with the new version once you confirm it working..

9_3_Win7_32_ddV2

Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:46 PM
  • shakeyplace, do you have the modded drivers for an ATI All in Wonder X600?  I've got this card but I'm having trouble finding the drivers for Win 7.  It exists for Vista but that's a no go.  Any help or tips would work.  Thanks.

are you looking for 32 bit? Try that package in my last post and let me know..
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:48 PM
  • shakeyplace - you are correct; the hardware id for my x600 is 3150. I am running windows 7 32-bit RC on my laptop. I tried both of your suggestions; X86 folder and 9.3 V2 file. I got the same result from both. After I follow your directions and restart the computer I get the black screen. I had to restart in safe mode and recover to get back in again both times. Any more suggestions? Would you maybe have time to come on MSN messenger sometime and we can work on this together? Let me know. Thanks for your help!

Monday, May 25, 2009 1:01 AM
  • well Austin, just to confirm a few things,
    #1 - When trying the X86 folder, you unzipped the entire contents of the file to it's own folder first, right? otherwise it doesn't find the driver files properly and you get that same effect when rebooting,
    #2 - When trying the 9.3 V2 file, the install program started fine, you answered yes to any unsigned driver installation prompts, and once the installation finishes can you open the log and in the log it states driver installation was successful?
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Austin, if so, I suggest that you go to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=PCI%5cVEN_1002%26DEV_3150 and click on the "last updated" column so that the most recent driver releases are listed first, then you will note that most of the more recent drivers are listed twice. In most cases with these the 32 bit driver is the smaller files size for the two downloads with the same date/version number, put the drivers in your download basket, download them, shorten the file name (all the 32 bit driver files start with X86 by default) otherwise Windows 7 will have errors with that long file name/folder name combination. Use any utility capable of extracting *.cab files and extract the files to their own unique folder. Then install the driver using these instructions;
    "Once you have the file downloaded and extracted you must follow these instruction or Win7 will not install the drivers as the generic drivers it uses by default has a newer date. Install by going to device manager -> right click on your display adapter -> select "update driver software" -> select "browse my computer for driver software -> select "let me pick from a list...." -> select "have disk" -> select "browse" -> browse to the folder where your device drivers are located and start at the top, keep selecting inf files until one supports your device, and install that driver"
    I suggeat starting with the more recent and work your way backwards, staying with Vista drivers to avoid those errors
    Option number 2, you could delete ati2dvag, I haven't tried it but I heard that other than an error when starting up, it works. I personally frown on that though, but it may work for you? PS, You won't get the Aero feature with XP drivers
    Option Number 3, Install that old XP driver again, then that Win7 driver should appear in Windows Update, let windows update download and install the driver using Windows Update (Don't do that automatically search for a driver thing, it don't work well with Ati cards and this release of Win7)
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Did you try hooking up anything to your second port to see if the display is defaulted to that port, if so you may be able to change default monitor...
    Monday, May 25, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Hey Shakeyplace!  Looks like you're doing a lot of good work here.

Unfortunately I'm still unable to get my x600 driver to work.  I have Windows 7 64bit. 

I've tried just about every solution here so far and have not yet got a driver to work in 1680x1050.  I'm stumped.  I think I have so many drivers I've tried now that I'm not sure which is the best option.

I have 2 questions:

1. What 64 bit driver should I use?
    2. If necessary, I can switch back to 32 bit if you think it seems to work better.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Monday, May 25, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Hey Shakeyplace!  Looks like you're doing a lot of good work here.

Unfortunately I'm still unable to get my x600 driver to work.  I have Windows 7 64bit. 

I've tried just about every solution here so far and have not yet got a driver to work in 1680x1050.  I'm stumped.  I think I have so many drivers I've tried now that I'm not sure which is the best option.

I have 2 questions:

1. What 64 bit driver should I use?
    2. If necessary, I can switch back to 32 bit if you think it seems to work better.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Teevo,
    Yes, there does seem to be problems with some resolutions on various adapters with these drivers and Win7. I have heard that people have been able to work around it, some have used the tray icon with Catalyst Control Center, (You need a driver version from ATI for that, not a windows update version) or a freeware app called ATI Traytools Wiki  Download
    I do not have a X600 unfortunately but here are my suggestions
    #2 - If you have 4 GB 0r more ram and all your software and drivers work, go ahead and use 64 bit, my experiences, all my software worked, however some I had to install in "Program Files" manually instead of the default "Program Files (X86)"
    that 32 bit software defaults to.
    #1 - With older systems I am recommending windows update versions of these drivers because they have fewer files, interfaces (Cataylyst Control Center) and at least in my opinion this is probably a bit less taxing on the system over all but if you need the control center to switch resolutions effectively or for overclocking and tweaking a newer card, then of course you could use a Catalyst version, I guess it depends on your particular needs.
    I have a question for you though, there seems to be so many people having this black screen after rebooting, did you have that with any version you tried? if so, what were you able to do to resolve this? So far no one in this thread no one has replied that their problem has been resolved. In other threads with other Ati adapters enough have replied that their problem was resolved, so I think I have been successful with the vast majority, but this particular adapter does seem to be persistant
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:37 PM
  • Well Shakeyplace, strangely enough I hooked up my extra moniter in safemode when I was having issues.  I went ahead and installed version 8.591.0.0 again (I have gone through each and every driver mentioned on this thread) and restarted, thinking I would try to see if the moniter was just defaulting to the wrong display.

I restarted and low and behold, the 1680x1050 option was available. 

It is now working with both moniters, in the correct resolution, and seems to be stable at the moment.  I'll report back if I have any problems but as of now it is working perfectly! 

Now I just have to figure out my sound driver, SD Card reader (don't think there's much hope there), and my modem driver (which I don't use).

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Monday, May 25, 2009 4:02 PM
  • @ Teevo,

Thanks for the reply, so it mysteriously starts working somehow when working with a second monitor and experimenting with drivers, If you would like to post the hardware ids for the modem and SD card reader, I will have a look, as for the sound, I see lots of folks having issues, best of luck,
    shakey
    Monday, May 25, 2009 9:15 PM
  • shakeyplace - I tried your latest suggestions and I still got the same result (black screen). Then I finally hooked up my laptop to an external monitor via VGA and the picture was there, same as Teevo but I cannot get the picture to display on the laptop screen. Is the picture going to the VGA by default? How do I change that?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:12 AM
  • shakeyplace - I tried your latest suggestions and I still got the same result (black screen). Then I finally hooked up my laptop to an external monitor via VGA and the picture was there, same as Teevo but I cannot get the picture to display on the laptop screen. Is the picture going to the VGA by default? How do I change that?

Depending whether you are using Catalyst Control Center or not, well without (and may work with as well) right click on desktop, select personalize, -> display settings -> select your laptop screen from the drop down list (it may help to right click on the monitor in this window and select "identify") and then select the checkbox underneath that says "This is my main monitor"
    I will install Catalyst next and see if it can be done the same way or if you have to do it through the catalyst control center..
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:56 AM
  • I've got catalyst messed up with too many installs I guess, fix it tomorrow
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Hey Shakey,

Strangest thing happened.  I actually had to switch to 32 bit to get the sound drivers to work.  Not a big deal being that I only accidentally installed 64 anyway.  

Anyway, so everything was working fine.  I actually got every single piece of hardware to work on my Presario x6000, including Aero on the video card.  All of a sudden when all I did was come out of standby, the LCD Laptop screen went blank again and will not turn on.  I checked to make sure the driver version was the same, and it was.  

I right click the background (on the secondary monitor) and select change resolution, and now the Laptop screen doesn't show up as an option anymore.  I'm back to where I was when I started having this issue.  I'm going to attempt to revert back to one of the older drivers (which was what worked first) and then try updating again with catalyst and the Mobile program you posted earlier.  I'll report back when I figure it out.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Well I am stumped.  After getting it to work that first time, and then it randomly stops, I haven't had it successfully work on my laptop screen yet.  It works fine in safe mode and that makes me wonder if it has something to do with the refresh rate.  

It seems like on my CRT secondary monitor the refresh rate defaults to 85hertz, which is way too high for my LCD.  Windows nor the ATI Catalyst can see the Laptop LCD Screen, so I don't know if that is or can be the problem.

I'm still working on getting the correct version of catalyst and driver to match up and work together.

Anyone else have any luck?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Teevo - I have the same issue. I have a pavilion zd8000. I never got my laptop screen to work because when I hook it up to an external monitor, it doesn't even give me an option for another display.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:21 AM
  • austin12 ive got the same issue with the blank screen, seem like a refresh rate problem to me as this was an error with a driver for xp long ago with the same issues. Im going to try the methods mentioned by shakey and see if i can get the external moniter to work.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:32 AM
  • well folks, ATI has moved the X600 to legacy status, but they did say that they would still consider "critical updates", I wonder if any of you tried consulting their customer service? I doubt you will get any reaction from HP as their product was not shipped with Windows 7. One more thing though, are all these the Hp zd8000 models, when you had the original operating system installed did it use a particular monitor driver or did it use a generic driver? Maybe we can all contact ATI (AMD) customer care and maybe get some help from them since there seems to be quite a few with similar problems?
    http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:22 PM
  • good old plug and play software for the screen on my zd8000.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:24 PM
  • @shakeyplace

I have the Compaq Presario X6000 model.  I used an x600 specefic driver way back when in XP.  

What should I say to AMD?  "Hey, my old x600 doesn't work with windows 7?"

I would LOVE to get this puppy working.  I use it all the time still even though it's quite old.  Windows 7 is flying on it and I have a feeling that I can't go back to XP now, being how much I'm enjoying 7.  

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Ya, why not? I suspect it may be a Windows 7 hardware initiation thing, if it is I am certain it will be fixed, but if it is a driver thing and it is just happening with this one video card, perhaps they can fix their driver. Yes it is an old card, so is mine but when they dropped support for them just 2 months ago they said they would still provide critical updates. If it is a Windows thing, I expect MS to fix it in future releases, if it is a driver issue and ATI said they would still provide critical updates, then lets request that. I think why not? After all I think this is a critical issue, don't you?
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Yep, I agree.  I just wasn't quite sure how to word it.  I'll send in my info and a link to this page, and hopefully we'll have some success in the future.  

I'll report back if/when I get some news.

Thanks again shakeyplace!
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:13 PM
  • same here...this really sux...I don't think I want to go back to xp now; 7 is much better. Aside from the graphics, it's running excellent. But the graphics driver is really killing the whole show. Someone please post a solution for this if there is one. Has anyone on this thread had any luck with this issue? How about the guy who started this post?
    Friday, May 29, 2009 5:10 AM
  • well if you people are determined, I was thinking I have a couple more possible suggestions
    1) is there a radio button in the display options to "force tv detect" on the secondary monitor? and would that make a difference
    2) I was installing my x1400 as a 9500, 7500 radeon to retrieve drivers in vista, it does run on the settings from the older adapters, I expect the X600 would act in a similar manner, what if you were to reinstall drivers through device manager -> right click on your display adapter -> select "update driver software" -> select "browse my computer for driver software -> select "let me pick from a list...." -> uncheck the "show compatable hardware and manually select the X300 or X550 or something that works anyways, does that correct the problem?
    Friday, May 29, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Well signed driver enforcement prevents me from installing the X600 driver on my laptop, I expect you will have similar issues trying to install X550 or X300 drivers, but if I go in my display settings (using the windows update driver) I am able to force detection of a second monitor whether or not it is present) by going in screen resolution (press on "detect") -> a second screen appears saying "another display not detected" -> select that display icon then from the multiple displays drop down you can select options such as "try to detect anyways on vga", or component...  then apply, then you can select "duplicate these displays"
    At least I am going by the theory that your driver will assume a second display is connected and then in turn duplicate it on your laptop display.
    Anyone try that yet?
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:04 PM
  • FWIW, I'm using the Radeon Mobility X300 (same driver as X600) Vista driver ver 8.360 with Windows 7 Aero in an older Dell Inspiron 9300, and it appears to work fine. The minimize/restore of the windows sometimes seems a little hesitant. But, there are no black screen issues, or other weirdness that gets in the way of using Windows 7 in Aero mode.

I had downloaded the driver from Dell's support site for a different Inspiron model that used the same graphics chip, but had Vista support. (The 9300 only has XP drivers listed.) But, it appears to be available at the Windows Catalog site posted by shakey above. I suggest the folks having issues try that one.

Before installing any new ATI driver software, use add/remove programs to uninstall the old driver/software. Don't just install over the old one.

I was origanally tempted to try the Win7 driver listed on that site. But, after reading about you guys' problems, I'm leary.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 4:31 PM
  • does anyone here know how to edit/fix dll files. I know for sure that the driver for x600 for windows xp works for W7. I downloaded it from hp's website under xp drivers for zd8000. The only problem is that once it installs successfully, you can't stand by, restart, or shutdown you computer. Anytime you do one of those things, you get the blue screen of death stating memory dump and some kind of problem with the ati2dvag.dll file. So I had to press and hold the power button until the computer powers off. If someone can diagnose the problem with that dll file, maybe that could solve the issue.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:46 PM
  • sorry forgot to mention, the version of that driver is 8.281.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 9:47 PM
  • I tried all sorts of things posted on this forum and nothing seems to work! It just does not install the drivers... Bit frustating though since I have got used to Win 7 and do not want to go back to XP. B-T-B I use 32 bit and here are the hardware IDs:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2592&SUBSYS_00661025&REV_03
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2592&SUBSYS_00661025
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2592&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2592&CC_0300
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:24 PM
  • @ r.bhaskar
    That is an Intel chip
    try the download in this thread, it is compatable with your card
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/2e4631f4-2c26-4837-9a5d-7827bb8daaeb
    i915GM0, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2592
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:38 PM
  • RC1 issue for this hardware:

Dell Latitude d810:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_20021028&REV_00
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_20021028
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&CC_0300

During the beta there newer was a 'blackness-issue'.. but for the rc these are frequent. Typical after the screen has gone blank or when it resumes from sleep.. it seems like it is unable to give the card\screen full power so it is almost completely black!?!?..the shadows of the open programwindows are barely visible..

The typical way to resole it is to use the [Fn] and the decrease light and then [Fn] and [CRT/LCD] to tell it to switch to the CRT... screen goes completely black, then when it it doesnt find any CRT it switches back to the LCD and I can then use the Fn and increase the light strenght to full again... Using this anoying procedure either works on the first attempt or requires several...BUT I do get the screen back to life eventually  :)

Any with similar laptop and issues using the rc been able to fix this?

edit: it seems that using the [Fn] button and lowering the screen illumination just a bit so it isn't at full brightness makes the problem go away.. or rather now its been a whole day without it happening once..

Monday, June 01, 2009 8:18 AM
  • Thanks a lot Shakeyplace. Appreciate your quick response and interest shown in helping people with Issues.
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:57 AM
  • @ borge-kristofferson

I tried the brightness dimming idea, and unfortunately I had no luck.  

Any updates of success from anyone?
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 5:46 PM
  • I am thinking we won't find any solution with these drivers and Win7, has anyone tried installing older Vista versions or Xp versions with any luck?
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Well, I tried the XP Driver from the HP site for my specefic model and wouldn't you know, after "updating" the driver, it worked fine after a reboot. 

I am unable to use the 3D acceleration for the Desktop, including the Aero style display, but compaired to not being able to use the screen at all before, this is something I'm willing to deal with!

I'm feeling gutsy so I'm going to try some of the vista drivers for it to see if I can get the 3D acceleration.  I'll post the driver that I downloaded here so that someone else can try it out if they have the same card.

ATI Mobility Radeon X600

Driver Version: 
    8.281.0.0 A (XP)
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Sounds like hope yet, keep trying them Vista drivers, OEM and Ati's, one is bound to work..., Thanks for the update and the link Teevo
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Teevo, I don't know what all you have tried, but here is a site with every Vista catalyst ever released from ATI....

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---ATI-Catalyst-Windows-Vista_c31.html

perhaps some manufacturers have some different builds, but this is a big list as well
    Monday, June 08, 2009 12:21 AM
  • Teevo,
     I was on another thread where the issue with the mobility 3450 driver was installed and on reboot they don't get a BSOD, but were getting a black screen, I was thinking that their display was defaulting to the wrong display as well. Their problem was resolved with a different driver installation which got me thinking of you folks again. This was the thread anyways;
    Windows 7 RC1 issues with ATI Mobility HD 3650
    I know that the card is totally different, but here is where it gets interesting.....
    1)The driver version is DriverVer=04/01/2009, 8.563.2.1000
    I don't find it with any other release
    2)I think the issue had to do with the display defaulting to the wrong (external) adapter, or at least the settings being messed up on the internal
    3)There are some registry setting in the driver files not available in any other driver version I found

Interested?, if you are I will tell you what I would like to try, I tested out a few things on my laptop (the X1400), didn't hurt it, I am hoping that something with the settings or driver helps the detection routine on startup...
    Monday, June 08, 2009 11:04 PM
  • I'm absolutely interested.  Unfortunately I won't be near that computer for a couple days.  I'll let you know when I can try it out.

I have noticed with the XP Driver I posted above that I'm constantly having restarts when I'm not using the computer.  I believe whenever it tries to standby there is a BSOD and an instant restart.  I haven't checked the error logs yet, but that's the only thing I've changed lately.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:28 AM
  • OK, I will get everything all written up so I can just copy and paste when you are ready to try this out
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:53 AM
  • i have the model pavilion zd8000 and my mobility x600 in windows 7(release 7100) 32bits works with:

http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php

folow instalation step by step and be happy.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:14 PM
  • i have the model pavilion zd8000 and my mobility x600 in windows 7(release 7100) 32bits works with:

folow instalation step by step and be happy.

wilson-franco,
    Hi, we have had not troubles getting the driver to install, I was using the older version of that tool before the new one was released and then I had to edit the files by hand for the driver to install, the trouble was getting a version of the driver to boot properly without needing an external monitor attached. Perhaps the newer mod tool may help, it may even be the answer to be honest I never suspected that but I was planning to have Teevo use it on the driver files as soon as he has the time, But I think his trouble may be deeper than that. I wasn't having these issues with my driver edits and any other ATI adapters. It may help though, but may I ask, what driver version did you use the mod tool on that worked for you? a Catalyst version or a version from HP? Perhaps Catalyst 9.3?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:38 PM
  • wilson-franco,
    I have another question for you as well as which driver version you have.
    What is your "hardware id" string, I am most interested in the "&SUBSYS" part of the string. You get this hardware id from device manager, right click on the adapter, select properties -> details tab -> hardware id from the drop down menu. I expect since this is a mobile card it must start with PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150  but in one of the strings there will be a "&SUBSYS" string, can you please give me that value, Thanks very much
    Shakey
    Friday, June 12, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Same problem here with a Samsung x50 laptop and AIT Mobility Radeon x600.

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_C018144D&REV_00
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_C018144D
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&CC_0300

Tried many different drivers newer ones boot and report an error (8.612.0.0). Older ones boot to a black screen. Using 8.573.0.0 I can get a picture on an external monitor. However, it doesn't want to detect or switch to the internal screen?

Friday, June 12, 2009 9:55 PM
  • Hi jim_ch,
    there are a few things I would very much like to try. First, we can start with what worked for wilson-franco's laptop
    please download this driver, run the program and let me know if it works... If not there is several more things I would like to try, also there are several others with the same problem so I would really like to know if something works for you...

http://rapidshare.com/files/243614261/9_3_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe
    the drivers are already set up to install, just run the file once you download..
    PS, I guess I best ask, are you using 32 bit?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Next question, if that doesn't work I would like to make changes to 2 small inf files in the drivers, would you prefer that I give you instruction or would you prefer I make the changes and upload just the changed files you download... I guess it just depends how comfortable you are with editing sensitive files.. Either works for me
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:11 PM
  • well, I may as well post some more.. I'll explain my thoughts as I go.....
    The X600 uses the M24 controller, there are two separate entries in the inf file for the X600, one covers what I believe is a HP laptop and an Emachines laptop, the other covers the rest, so what I have done in the next file is switch the software sections in the inf file. 1 has a different feature set and has a debugging section, possibly one or the other is why this works for some people but not the rest? anyways here is a small file, if you downloaded and ran the installer in the other post, this will just overwrite the two files involved and reverse the settings. here is the second attempt,
    http://rapidshare.com/files/243884709/LH_INFB.exe
    continuing on,there are also two versions of the M24 controller that use different driver settings and different hardware ids, the FireGL V3200 and the X600 SE versions, since we tried the others, I think we may as well try these
    http://rapidshare.com/files/243884767/LH_INFC.exe
    and
    http://rapidshare.com/files/243884838/LH_INFGL.exe
    the drivers should work of course with an external monitor as has been the case so far, but try rebooting each time without one and report back, especially if one works and report the file versions you tried...
    Next on to part 2
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:17 AM
  • There is a couple Lenovo models with "switchable" graphics, some of these, when Win7 was installed would always boot to the external adapter. Ati seems to have written a specific driver version to overcome this in the Lenovo case, The download contains both 32 and 64 bit versions, it is version DriverVer=04/01/2009, 8.563.2.1000 and although it is written for the HD3xxx versions, I have installed it on my X1400 without issue, the driver should still work, hopefully it may help some with this X600 issue as well, It may be the driver version forcing it to boot to the internal display or it may be in the device settings, I am thinking it is built into the driver version since it is a unique version, but either way if it works, I'm happy. I think there is no harm in trying. The download is available at Lenovo
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70417
    In order to install, you will have to extract the files from the installer to a folder using either winrar, 7-zip or universal extractor
    I think a person should then try installing from device manager, right-click on your adapter -> update driver -> browse my computer... -> let me pick from a list... -> uncheck "show compatable hardware" -> have disk -> browse -> in the folder where you extracted the Lenovo files find the sub directories \Packages\Drivers\Display and there is two folders the LH6A_INF folder is for 64 bit, the LH_INF folder is 32 bit drivers, select the appropriate folder and the inf file inside, each adapter has it's own settings, so before trying anything else I suggest trying to install as each separate adapter, again rebooting and checking to see if it works without the external adapter each time. It should be noted though, the Lenovo has "switchable" graphics, not just an external adapter, but I feel there is a chance this may work as it does force the Lenovo to boot to the proper display. We won't know if we don't try. Again, if you try this, report back and let us know if it worked or not, what all you tried and if it worked, which settings worked for you
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:05 AM
  • Thanks a lot for you help.

I am using the 32bit version of Windows 7 RC1 (German).

1. I tried your 9.3/8.591.0.0 -> black screen, but works with external display

2. I tried installing the Lenovo driver over the top of 9.3 using the ATI setup. The install seemed too quick to copy any/many files and after booting the driver is still 8.591.0.0. However, the internal LCD display is now working with aero, but it is only a very small 640x480 screen/window in the middle of the 1680x1050 display. It is listed as standard display or standard LCD and won't let me change the resolution.

I pluged in the external display and was able to switch using the keyboard then it reported the internal display as unknow and wouldn't switch back.

3. I tried your LH_INFB.exe but it had no effect. I installed it on the top of whats running so not sure what would happen if it was installed fresh.

4. Tried installing my own hacked 9.5/8.612.0.0 -> boots using the standard VGA driver error message displays on the screen after a while "No ATI graphics driver is installed or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropiate for your ATI hardware"

Installing Lenovo over the top didn't make any changes, just ran WinSat.exe at startup, seems to have something to do with the enabling of aero?

5. Uninstalled all ATI stuff from control panel. Rebooted and installed 9.3 followed by the Lenovo both using the standard setup.exe (without rebooting in between). I'm back on the internal display with only 640x480 but aero is working.

Found an interesting post here: http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/3952-display-stuck-640x480-after-restart-2.html#post22000
    • Edited by jim_ch Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:14 AM
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:14 AM
  • - 9.4/8.600.0.0 -> same as 9.5
    - 9.1/8.573.0.0 + Lenovo -> same as 9.3 + Lenovo

By themselves the Lenovo drivers don't seem to want to install anything and there is only one INF file which doesn't have the X600, but the Enabling Aero step seems to get the internal display working, but only at 640x480. Also the WinSAT.exe runs at startup to test the DirectX performance. With 9.4 and 9.5 the WinSAT seems to be testing the CPU and not DirectX.
    • Edited by jim_ch Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:17 AM
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Hi jim_ch
    thanks, ok here is a small program you can download and install, It will fix the lenovo files to install on the X600, basically you install the program, open the program, check off the disable UAC box, it will as you to reboot, reboot, run again and direct it to the folder where you extracted the lenovo files, let it do it's thing, when that is done you can uncheck the disable UAC box or reenable it in action center, whichever you wish. But the installer files will work on your  X600 afterwards, it sets up the installer files for any mobile version from ATI's. The mobility modder program is available at http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php PS, I will read that other thread you linked to
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:31 PM
  • here is a couple links to older driver versions if you want to try some out
    http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/ati.htm
    or
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---ATI-Catalyst-Windows-Vista_c31.html
    let us know if the modded lenovo or any older version works for you
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Hi jim_ch
    I read the post, interesting...
    in your post you said
    "I tried installing the Lenovo driver over the top of 9.3 using the ATI setup. The install seemed too quick to copy any/many files and after booting the driver is still 8.591.0.0. However, the internal LCD display is now working with aero, but it is only a very small 640x480 screen/window in the middle of the 1680x1050 display. It is listed as standard display or standard LCD and won't let me change the resolution"
    Am I right that you can then reboot to the internal display (without an external display), just that then you get this very small screen in the center? or do you then still need the external monitor to reboot? Perhaps this may actually work once you mod the installer files?
    or
    when you have the small screen in this setup, from reading the other thread you linked me to, can you go into device manager and update the driver for the internal display?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Hi Shakeyplace,

I already tried modding the Lenovo drivers, but they still don't seem to install a driver. Maybe I need to try a fresh install with Lenovo drivers.

Yes, I can boot/reboot and use everything on the internal screen without connecting an external display. However, I only have 640x480 to work with which is very limiting ;-)

I was not able to find any driver for the display?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Ok. After uninstalling all ATI stuff via the control panel. I was able to install the Lenovo drivers. I now have 8.563.2.100, but same problem with the 640x480 screen.

This is strange because most of the modded drivers will install over/replace each other. However, this one doesn't?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Hi Jim_ch,
     I installed a modded set of those on my X1400, they are both of the same series, maybe try installing direct from device manager instead if using the installer?
    I will try again, I only have my Vista hard drive with me at the moment, but it did install for me on Win7, can't recall for sure, maybe I did have to install from device manager. That may make sense.
    On the display driver, did you try installing by update driver -> browse my computer -> let me pick from a list -> try unchecking "show compatable hardwae" and manually selecting the monitor driver that is normally installed when things work right?
    I guess ATI has the installer specifically targeting the Lenovo adapters, while the driver inf file gets modded the installer must differ from their normal installer (Setup) file
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:03 PM
  • jim, was the 640x480 screen always the trouble, or was it strictly just a black screen (external) before when you booted?
    • Edited by shakeyplace Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:25 PM
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:07 PM
  • also, with that monitor driver, or the other, is it possible to go in the advanced settings and unselect the "show only supported mode" or select "list all modes"
    I'll check how that goes in Win7..
    right click on desktop -> screen resolution -> advanced settings -> monitor tab -> uncheck "hide modes this monitor cannot display"
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:14 PM
  • jim, was the 640x480 screen always the trouble, or was it strictly just a black screen (external) before when you booted?

At first black screen was the problem. It wasn't until I read here that I could try to connect an external display. I didn't think of that myself. Then the Lenovo drivers got the internal display working, but only in 640x480.

The list all modes check box cannot be ticked. I have tried all the thing I could think of to change the resolution without luck and googled for any other options. The system just doesn't know what the display is and will not go above 640x480. When I connect and external display I can change to higher resolutions but it will not switch back to the internet display without a reboot.

For example I can use my switch display hot key and change the the resolution to something much higher, but the hot key will not switch back.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:54 PM
  • I have tried some old drivers

- 7.9 didn't seem to work
    - 8.2/8.453.0.0 -> works but again only 640x480.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Ok, jim were you able to try changing the driver for the monitor, ( I don't mean the X600, I mean the monitor itself)?
    another thing I am thinking, there is an app, I think it is called ATI tray tools, it is not from ATI, but supports the drivers. Others have had luck in situations where their monitor driver hasn't allowed to set certain display settings, I think it even has an option to automatically reset the settings on boot
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733 
    or a newer version
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/ATI-Tray-Tools.shtml
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 8:46 PM
  • I am not able to change the monitor driver.

1. There is no monitor device in the device manager
    2. The button under the monitor tab (right click on desktop -> screen resolution -> advanced settings -> monitor tab) in greyed out.

I installed the ATI tray tool, but it doesn't seem to have any option for changing the resolution?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:07 PM
  • Umm, that seems to what may be something we can resolve? maybe (I hope), does anything related show in device manager? any unknown device? If you right click in device manager and scan for changes does anything show up?
    Yes I installed the tools as well, perhaps it just saves the settings, maybe you can't actually select them. If no monitor shows in device manager I don't imagine that anything shows up with the catalyst control center with the tray icon either...
    or is the catalyst control center installed?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:15 PM
  • When I boot with the standard windows 7 driver there is a monitor driver that shows up in the device manager as a non PnP monitor. However, when I boot with the x600 drivers then that is gone and I can no longer change the monitor settings.

There is no option to change the resolution in the ATI control panel, etc that I have found.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:40 PM
  • http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/4909-windows-7-wont-detect-my-primary-monitor-2.html, one person said they were able to just close and reopen the lid on their laptop...
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:06 PM
  • With XP drivers I can set my screen to 1680x1050. However, it seems to use a lot of CPU and no aero. With the windows 7 driver I cannot go above 1400x1050.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:08 PM
  • After playing with the xp drivers, everything is black again. None of the drivers work anymore. Even the Lenovo is coming up black :-/
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:33 PM
  • With the external monitor, does it work? can it detect the internal monitor? does the internal monitor have a driver?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:36 PM
  • The thread describes the problem exactly: http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/4909-windows-7-wont-detect-my-primary-monitor.html

and there doesn't seem to be anyway to fix it
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 6:34 AM
  • No, and I am sure AMD could if they wanted too, too bad. Hopefully if enough people complain about it to AMD they will do something about it, I for one would have sure appreciated one good solid WHQL release for Win7 before support was dropped. I wouldn't ask for regular updates, just something that works

http://support.amd.com/us/contacts/Pages/GraphicsTechnicalSupport.aspx
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:50 AM
  • I do find it interesting though that it does not seem to detect the display at all, not even as a generic or default display, that is why I was wondering if when you had the setup that booted to the external display, if it would detect the internal monitor for use say as an extended desktop. I am wondering if perhaps windows just won't detect the display? could it be that the problem is in fact in the windows monitor detection? but it detects the display when first installed with the default display driver. why would it detect the monitor when using the default display adapter driver and the monitor become invisible to windows whenever any ATI driver is installed? I guess that it blocks device manager from detecting displays on that port? I wonder, if that were at the driver level, the same driver works with other ATI adapters or does it do something in say perhaps the registry. wierd because it seems to be mostly limited to just this one version, the X600, although the same driver works fine on both older and newer adapters...
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:14 PM
  • It never seems detects the internal display when using the AMD drivers, execpt with the XP ones.

Here is the response I got from AMD support:

<quote>
    Response and Service Request History:

AMD has no support or drivers for laptops:

For an explanation, please visit the following link:

</quote>
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:21 AM
  • I'm still keeping up with this thread!  I've just been away from this computer for a while while I'm working in a remote project.  Things aren't looking too good from the sound of it :(  

I'll let you know when I can spend some time on this project.  It will be soon!

Taylor
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:00 AM
  • I am still hoping that AMD may fix it up with a driver release included with the final Win7 Retail disk, much as they did with Vista and older Radeon (Pre-9500)
    The response I recieved back on May 28th was much more receptive, but no promises of course

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[xxxxxxxxxx]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

I have forwarded this feedback to the Catalyst Crew Team as well.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

If they don't I'm afraid it will be up others such as ourselves to try to work this out or enough public pressure for them to relent, myself, I wouldn't care about monthly driver tweaks for the older cards, but I like to see them work..
    • Proposed as answer by zd8garand Friday, June 26, 2009 6:41 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:42 AM
  • Hmm well a couple of days ago I installed the driver upon shutdown by accident and the next day it started up in 1680x1050 (Ati driver working flawlessly). After rebooting, it went back to the black screen of death.. Not really sure how it could work just one time and not the others.

Something I noticed in the devices and printers menu is that windows 7 doesn't recognize the computer itself.. or it wants to find a driver for it. Idk if that would reflect on the video driver problem.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version    6.1.7100 Build 7100
    HP Pavilion zd8000
    Processor: 3.4GHz
    RAM: 2GB
    Video Card: Ati Mobility x600 256MB
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:44 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue with a Mobility Radeon 9600. So this does not happen with just one card.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Looks like ATI radeon cards not for win 7, ATI Radeon HD2600pro, every 20-30 sec win7 reports: "video adapter stopped responding,win recovered it", 3 times and PC restarts, updating drivers,soft didn t fixed it. Ge force cards- no problem. Well, found best solution - format- back to XP. works perfect (which means card is fine). Another thing, in the old game keyboard controls are not working, and can't alocate functions to keys, but can type messages wile playing.
    Developers, any ideas when SP3 for win7 will be released( not SP1orSP2) usualy SP3 fixes all problems (XP is good example) :)
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:13 PM
  • Has anybody found an answer to this??  I have an HP XN9600 with the X600 mobile radeon card.  Exact same problem and I have tried everything...new drivers, old drivers, modded drivers but nothing works.  Still get the blank screen after the initial windows logo.  Works fine with a secondary monitor attached or works fine in safe mode. 
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:37 PM
  • albatross, out of curiosity... You said you tried the modified drivers, did you try modifying the 9.3.1 driver update released by AMD in July?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Well, I'm back and on this computer again pretty regularly.  Has anyone tried the RTM version with any of these drivers?  
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:02 PM
  • http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/4909-windows-7-wont-detect-my-primary-monitor-2.html, one person said they were able to just close and reopen the lid on their laptop...

Ok, I've found a solution, and kudos for the idea of closing and reopening the lid. But it was not quite as easy as that on my sister's notebook (Radeon X700). I know the procedure sounds pretty silly, but it works and that's what counts for me at this point. You might try it, maybe it works for you as well. I need to do the EXACT following steps:

1. Start computer.

2. Wait until windows logon screen comes up. Screen is of course black at that point, but you can tell by the welcome sound or maybe by decreased hard drive activity.

3. Close the lid, but not all the way. Only close the lid until the notebook begins to go into standby, maybe one inch before the latch is closed, and IMMEDIATELY move the lid back into opened position. It's important to open the lid again before the notebook has gone into standby.

4. Wait until notebook goes into standby.

5. NOW close the lid completely shut.

6. Open lid. Notebook wakes up from Standby.

7. Enjoy

• Edited by vool74 Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:58 PM Corrected step 3, deleted step 4a
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:14 AM
  • I'm going to attempt this right now, but do you know which driver version you are using? 

Monday, August 24, 2009 5:06 PM
  • It's the latest X700 compatible Catalyst 9.3 from AMD/ATI, modded for notebook usage (http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php). But as we had the same effect with the driver installed by Windows Update, I would guess it would work the same way. By the way, it's the Windows 7 RTM from MSDN, so I can't say if it works the same with the RC.

I'm gonna have to edit the procedure, though, to make it a little more silly. It was too straightforward.  :/
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:01 PM
  • Well, Teevo, don't keep us in suspense.  Did vool74's procedure work for you? Anybody else? If so, I may have to reload Win7 and give it a try.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:08 PM
  • The same bad result with Samsung X50, radeon x700... no luck with different drivers, vool74 way don't work for me.

Works perfectly with additional screen via VGA but can't detect primary screen that way..
    For me it seems more like a problem of TFT panel (monitor) detection..
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Well guys, strangely enough I didn't even have to try that.

I hit Upgrade Driver on my Display adapter to get the latest version from Windows Update and it updated to 8.561.0.0 (12/1/2008).

I restarted the computer and I didn't have to do anything and it worked perfectly.

I wrote above that when I was using an older driver I was able to get my Laptop monitor to work, but it would cause errors when trying to shut down, go into standby, or restart.  Now with the new driver I have zero problems, Aero works correctly, and the driver is at 100% functionality!

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE I CAN THINK OF SINCE MY LAST ATTEMPT OF UPGRADING IS THE FACT THAT I INSTALLED ULTRAMON FOR MULTIPLE MONITORS.

I have no idea if this is why it's working now, but I would suggest some of you attempt to try ultramon with the latest windows driver and see if it makes a difference.  

Let me know what you guys find!  After multiple resets and standbys, my system is still working 100%.  I didn't even have to do the screen trick!
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:59 PM
  • I've got the same problem as you guys. 

HP zd8000, ATI x600.  After a fresh Windows 7 install, the laptop display will work just fine at the highest resolution, with Aero enabled, etc.  The first time the computer goes to sleep, the laptop monitor is no longer recognized, remains black and does not come back on, and only an external display will work.  I've attemtped every solution listed on this thread, with no success.

Teevo, I've got the same driver version number as you, as well as UltraMon installed.  No dice.

Very frustrating.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:05 PM
  • I started this thread several months ago - and had given up - and gone back to XP on my zd8000.
    Today, I thought I'd try it again and loaded Win7 RC.  Amazingly, the display seems to be working for me now.
    I've restarted and the screen is still there - no black, hi-res color.

Maybe a new x600 driver has been released to solve the problem? I don't know but it seems to be working now.

My problem now is sound. I don't have any. Maybe the problem is I loaded 64-bit Win7 and there's no driver. Let me know if anybody knows an answer to sound - otherwise I may try to load 32-bit Win7 and see if that provides a working display and sound.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Now I went back to 32bit Win7 RC and everything is working beautifully - video and audio.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:29 AM

Ok, I've found a solution, and kudos for the idea of closing and reopening the lid. But it was not quite as easy as that on my sister's notebook (Radeon X700). I know the procedure sounds pretty silly, but it works and that's what counts for me at this point. You might try it, maybe it works for you as well. I need to do the EXACT following steps:

1. Start computer.

2. Wait until windows logon screen comes up. Screen is of course black at that point, but you can tell by the welcome sound or maybe by decreased hard drive activity.

3. Close the lid, but not all the way. Only close the lid until the notebook begins to go into standby, maybe one inch before the latch is closed, and IMMEDIATELY move the lid back into opened position. It's important to open the lid again before the notebook has gone into standby.

4. Wait until notebook goes into standby.

5. NOW close the lid completely shut.

6. Open lid. Notebook wakes up from Standby.

7. Enjoy

(Quoting myself because I didn't find out how to link to my original post.)

I didn't get the procedure right until now because it's on my sister's notebook and I didn't remember correctly at the time of writing. I changed step 3 in a subtle but important way, deleted step 4a, and now it's final and verified. So you guys who haven't found a solution yet might try it one more time.

And sorry in case I wasted your time.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:07 PM
  • vool,

I've just tried your steps 1-7 and you're a genius.  Now I hope it stays on ;-)
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Just wanted to follow up.  Everything still working just fine.  Numerous shut downs, sleeps, etc. and no problems. :-)
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:41 PM
  • I got almost same issue with x700 adapter, laptop booting right and work good with external tv via s video, until go to sleepmode it even can wakeup right, but only first time, second- detect only tv and vga out?? I has try all compatible drivers with ccc and without, no success, but i think should be a solution! lets keep this thread and more suggestions... 
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 11:58 AM
  • This is the same problem with my XPS 410 Dell desktop with an ATI Radeon 4770 card. Black screen, white, moveable cursor. Can boot to a c:> only. Have v9.7 Catalyst driver. Is thre a way to unload it from the command line or through regedit? Have tried extensive methods to try to correct the problem. Would try closing the lid partway as suggested by vool74, but seems a bit problematic :)

ATI hasn't been much help. There is a new version of driver, v9.9. But, need to be in Windows to load it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Well, after installing ATI Tray Tools (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Tray_Tools) my zd8000 is working flawlessly with Catalyst 9.3 drivers (v8.591.0.1, 2/25/09). Thanks for all the tips here!
    Monday, October 05, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Vool74, that is working for me. Thanks.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Ok, I joined this forum because I found the efforts here amazing and I wanted to share my frustrations and MY WORKING SOLUTION!

When I used the driver from Windows Update, I black screened to death. Had to safe mode, restore or rollback. I tried the mobility hack described here only to be given the wonderful black screen again.

I also tried doing Windows Update again with the new driver and the standby lid flip trick to no avail.

I am using HP Pavilian zd8000
    ATI Mobility x600

How I got it to work... but it doesn't make sense to me.

1. Right click desktop > Screen Resolution
    2. Click "Advanced Settings"
    3. Under default Adapter tab, click Properties
    4. Click Driver Tab
    5. Click the "Update Driver" button
    6. Use the top "Search automatically" option.

I have no idea if this might use a different database for drivers but I've rebooted three times and I still have the driver installed and no black screen. Once I diagnosed Windows Aero, I got the Windows Aero functionality too.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:29 AM
  • I'd like to echo sentiments of several who have replied here with their appreciation for the collective efforts to find a solution.  I was blindsided by this annoying problem on my HP Pavilion zd8000 CTO notebook that's served me well for several years.  I poured through this thread after actively troubleshooting on my own.  I was about to attempt a couple of the suggestions in this thread when I stumbled upon a solution:

1. I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate RTM.
    2. I installed all Windows Updates up to and including SP1 (the minimum required to upgrade to Windows 7) including all driver updates available.
    3. I then did an upgrade installation to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM using a full version (not an upgrade version) disc.
    4. Windows 7 appears to retain the same version of the ATI Mobility Radeon X600 driver (dated 8/2006) and has not 'black screened', even when put to sleep and rebooted numerous times.  What's even more surprising is that Windows Update does not make available the updated X600 driver as it did when I performed a clean install of Windows 7.
    For purists (of which I consider myself one), this isn't the ideal solution since it's an upgrade instead of a clean install, but it works.  It also works without activating Vista, so if you have a full version of Windows 7, you can simply borrow a Vista disk, don't activate it and perform the upgrade from the full version of Windows 7.  Also, on the HP Pavilion zd8000, I have the Texas Instruments media card reader which has a driver that works with Vista.  If you install that in Vista before upgrading, it continues to work after Windows 7 is installed.  When I performed a clean install of 7, it didn't natively find a driver for that device.

Hopefully this helps.  Pure speculation, but it seem as though Windows 7 retains drivers that work in Vista if you perform an upgrade from Vista.  Either that, or Microsoft fixed the'black screen' issue when upgrading to Windows 7 if you are able to let the upgrade installer download updates before it performs the upgrade.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:26 PM
  • Well, I take it all (at least most all) of it back.  While I was able to resolve the 'black screen' issue with Windows 7 as I described above, too many other random crashes, freezes, and slow performance kept rearing their respective ugly heads and forced me to return my HP Pavilion zd8000 CTO notebook to a clean install of Windows Vista, which has run like a champ for a couple years before I attempted to upgrade to Windows 7 on my laptop.  A real shame considering Windows 7 is supposed to be even better than Vista when it comes to installation, compatibility and reliability.  So far, the only successful install I've done of Windows 7 is at work on a 2008 series Mac Pro tower using Boot Camp 3.0.  Quite ironic if you ask me...
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Windows 7 32bit Catalyst Software suite Legacy 9.11 11/17/2009 and http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php .

zd8000 CTO

No black screen and all works well at 1680 X 1050.  Will keep you posted.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:33 AM
  • Zd8000 CTO x600 black screen fixed.

Hammered this set up (see above post) for hours and it is working perfectly.  Looks like the new drivers have fixed the issue.  Case closed for me.  Performance score is 3.7
    Friday, January 01, 2010 6:02 AM
  • HP Pavilion zd8000 with ATI Mobility Radeon X600 card now working

I have been following the comments on the zd8000 - X600 for sometime and have tried most of the suggestions, including using the Mobility Modder with many different downloaded drivers, without success.      I installed Windows 7 Ultimate in August (was running Vista successfully, did clean install from disk).   Ran into the black screen issue immediately, and have been running on the std VGA adapter since, which was quite unsatisfactory and gave "stretched" images.    Then gave up for several weeks.

Got back to it 2 days ago, and retried many of the suggestions, including the "Modder" - again without success.   In desperation I deleted all of the video drivers from the computer, including the std VGA adapter.  Rebooting reloaded the std VGA adapter.   I then did an automatic driver update from the adapter properties in device mgr.     Upon restart everything in now working for the first time since August.   

Screen resolution is 1680 x 1050 and images appear as they should.     The driver I ended up with is 8.561.0.0.       Hope this helps if other things haven't worked.....
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:25 AM
  • Has anyone found a definate fix for this issue? I have a Sony Vaio BX197XP with a Mobility X700. Can't get it to run anything, it crashes and flashes blue. Updating to the latest drivers causes the black screen issue.
    I need a permanent fix, tried most of the methods suggested.
    Anyone help me please?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Hello there. 

I have the same issue except I am using Windows XP.. 

I also have an HP Pavilion ZD8000 with  ATI Mobility Radeon X600. 
    I have followed this threat for a while and I have tried pretty much all the stuff you guys posted and laptop wont work. 
    no matter what driver I used... it goes into black screen or pixelated screen.. 
    tried to installed 9-11_legacy_xp32-64_dd_cc and that one gave me an error message: unable to install drivers.. 

this is getting ridiculous

any other ideas? 

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Oz_Cast,

I hate to say it, but pixelated images on the screen are often a sign of a bad video card.  Are you able to get the HP provided driver for the X600 from the HP support website to work?  If that doesn't work and you still experience the same problems, it may be the video card itself.

I also have a HP Pavilion zd8000 CTO notebook with the ATI Mobility Radeon X600.  I'd like to try more of the methods on this thread to get Windows 7 to successfully run on it, but unfortunately I'm now reliant on it as my main (and only) computer at home at the moment, and surprisingly Windows Vista has been the most reliable OS I've run on the machine to date.  I think it'll soon be time to look at getting a new laptop and maybe then I'll revisit Windows 7 on the zd8000.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:03 AM
  • I also have a ZD-8000 . and I also upgraded to Win 7 , and I gota say microsoft may have goten the name of the card right, it detects and installs by name for me aswell, BUT ( and this is in my opinion a mega huge holly mother of isues ) it thinks that my laptop has the 256 meg dedicated ver of the X600 . when i know for a fact it has the 512 meg dedicated X600 , as in win XP it showed it, and used it , and life was good...... so ..... yea .... i would double check the ammount of Vid mem win 7 "thinks" you have if u get it working ..... i been barking up microsofts tree for MONTHS trying to get them to fix the eronus auto updater. good luck meng.
    Monday, July 19, 2010 7:47 AM
  • [SOLVED] for my occasion

Last night while I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on, I randomly touched the SWITCH COVER (upper side of laptop) and noticed that the screen flickering+artifacts+B.S.O.D.'s HAD GONE AWAY!!!!!!!! Thank God! BELIEVE IT, OR NOT!!! :-)
    It seems that some cables weren't so tight connected (e.g. TFT-main board) or something...
    I wish I'd realized that earlier, but as my grandparents say, better late than never!

Thank you and I wish you all a Happy New Year

Sunday, January 09, 2011 12:44 AM
  • I also have a ZD 8000 laptop with the mobility radeon x600 and i  think its working ok so far, but i did suffer with the blue screen and also black screen during boot up.this is what i did after reading all of the different tries

1. i installed windows 7 and installed all updates that were available, when i restarted the laptop, it loaded with the black screen.

2. i ended up putting it on safe mode and changed the display driver to the windows vga driver that windows7 installed orginally.

3. restarted computer and the screen on the laptop worked again. At this time i plugged in another monitor from the laptop. The monitor didnt turn on its own, which was expect so i restarted laptop. When i did, both the laptop and monitor came on. i looked at the resolution settings i saw that it showed only one monitor, not two. but yet both were functioning.

4. went to device manager and installed the ati driver . the number is 8.56.1.0.0  . This is the driver that windows update for windows 7 has available

5. i restarted laptop and and both monitors were working! This is the first time ive seen the laptop display work with this driver installed. then i opened the resolution and it showed both monitors plugged in. I set the resolution for monitor 1, which is the laptop to the lowest setting and turned off number two monitor , which it did. the other monitor turned off.

6. i restarted the laptop and to  my  amazement the laptop monitor came on and the other stayed off like it should. i re ajusted the res, to a low setting and shut the laptop off. I then unplugge the second monitor from the laptop and restarted the laptop. Its Working Perfectly!.. I suggest you all to try this and see if you have good results. Im not a puter guru but what i think is the laptop may be thinking the monitor 2 is plugged in and leaves the laptop monitor off when first installing the ati mobility radeon x600 the first time which leave the laptop with a black screen at start up of windows 7.

hope this works for all who are still having probs, my prob is all gone :)

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:48 AM
  • Excellent.  This works.  Thanks!!

I also have a ZD 8000 laptop with the mobility radeon x600 and i  think its working ok so far, but i did suffer with the blue screen and also black screen during boot up.this is what i did after reading all of the different tries

1. i installed windows 7 and installed all updates that were available, when i restarted the laptop, it loaded with the black screen.

2. i ended up putting it on safe mode and changed the display driver to the windows vga driver that windows7 installed orginally.

3. restarted computer and the screen on the laptop worked again. At this time i plugged in another monitor from the laptop. The monitor didnt turn on its own, which was expect so i restarted laptop. When i did, both the laptop and monitor came on. i looked at the resolution settings i saw that it showed only one monitor, not two. but yet both were functioning.

4. went to device manager and installed the ati driver . the number is 8.56.1.0.0  . This is the driver that windows update for windows 7 has available

5. i restarted laptop and and both monitors were working! This is the first time ive seen the laptop display work with this driver installed. then i opened the resolution and it showed both monitors plugged in. I set the resolution for monitor 1, which is the laptop to the lowest setting and turned off number two monitor , which it did. the other monitor turned off.

6. i restarted the laptop and to  my  amazement the laptop monitor came on and the other stayed off like it should. i re ajusted the res, to a low setting and shut the laptop off. I then unplugge the second monitor from the laptop and restarted the laptop. Its Working Perfectly!.. I suggest you all to try this and see if you have good results. Im not a puter guru but what i think is the laptop may be thinking the monitor 2 is plugged in and leaves the laptop monitor off when first installing the ati mobility radeon x600 the first time which leave the laptop with a black screen at start up of windows 7.

hope this works for all who are still having probs, my prob is all gone :)

Everything except step 3 worked as you said.  At step 3, in my case, a VGA TV did not give adequate results, so I used a small LCD. 

Then, at step 5, just to clarify, I set the "display desktop on monitor 1 only" drop-down selection.

Everything else went fine, and I am now enjoying an unstretched 1680x1050 resolution.

Thanks heaps for this!!!!!

Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Installed Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion zd8000 model zd8237 with ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600.

The original drivers from HP caused the often reported BSOD when closing down the computer.

I now have the driver version 8.593.100.0 of 2010-02-10 installed with success by using this method:

1. Uninstall all ATI stuff including driver.
    2. Be sure that the video card is installed as a standard VGA card with native VGA driver.
    3. Obtain the ATI driver package 10-02_legacy_vista32-64_dd_ccc and unpack it.
    4. Locate the folder ..\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF
    5. Open the file CL_95951.inf for edit and insert this line in the section [ATI.Mfg.NTx86.6.0]:

"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600" = ati2mtag_RV380, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_3082103C
    6. Save and exit.
    7. Go to the video card properties, driver, and update the driver manually by browsing to the LH_INF folder.
    8. Select to install the driver for ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 when prompted.
    9. Finish the install and restart.

Enjoy no BSOD and full 1440 x 900 resolution.

Credit goes to tips and hints from many of the previous postings. Thanks!

Gustav Brock

Monday, April 09, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Men you have an All in one Solution about those fucking ATI drivers, sorry if the Blog link is in French :

(use Google translate), see here :

"h**p://jeremydransart.free.fr/index.php/tutoriels/pilote-modifie-pour-carte-graphique-ati-radeon-sous-windows-7/comment-page-1/"

Direct Download of the Modded Drivers is actually there :

"h**p://uptobox.com/mqhtps689x8v"

PS : DON'T UPDATE the Graphique Card, cause Win 7 réinstalle the VGA driver, and no more AERO.

Many thanks for him with this job !!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:38 PM