none
Installing language pack under XP mode

Question

• When I try to browse any web page with Chinese contents, it asked me to install the language pack but its asking me to provide XP SP3 installation disc. Even thought I have the original XP disc but its under SP2 only.

Any idea how to install the language pack?

Friday, June 12, 2009 6:17 PM

Answers

• Well, to have more than 1 language you definitely need a language pack. I'm afraid this is a limitation. You can check if you can install language packs from the xpsp2 CDs and give a try if those language packs intall on xpsp3 (my guess is it might not install sp2 LPs on sp3).

To unblock your issue, you can download one of the chinese xp modes.
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:42 PM

All replies

• Have you downloaded Chinese VHD package?
    We have trimmed the shipped VHD and missing i386 folder is a known issue.
    Thanks, -Vinod -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:36 AM
  • Vinod

Where can I download the Chinese VHD? I tried to search and cannot locate it. Also, I assume I download this within the virtual XP mode and install from there.

Thanks
    Andrew

Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Choose the machine acrhitecture and the language(chinese for you) of the windows xp mode from the drop down. Click down load on Windows XP mode beta (this will download the chinese vhd). It starts the installation of chinese windows xp mode. Before going ahead with chisene xp mode install,  uninstall the currently installed windows xp mode.

No, you can't install and launch windows xp mode inside the currently installed xp mode. XP mode is to be installed and run on windows 7 Host only.
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Rashmi

Thanks, given there is both Traditional and Simplify Chinese, without able to install the display language pack, how can I have one with both inside?

THanks
    Andrew

Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Well, to have more than 1 language you definitely need a language pack. I'm afraid this is a limitation. You can check if you can install language packs from the xpsp2 CDs and give a try if those language packs intall on xpsp3 (my guess is it might not install sp2 LPs on sp3).

To unblock your issue, you can download one of the chinese xp modes.
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:42 PM
  • It doesnt allow me as it cannot locate the right file to install.

but the 1st problem seem to be resovled as I am using a Chinese XP instead

This is diff to what I actually looked for.... I was thinking to use English XP within Chinese display capability like my existing PC.

I perfer to use the English interface but just some content must be in Chinese.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:45 PM
  • The problem is not really about "user interface" language but "language support".
    Normally English version of Windows XP English supports many languages. Users can have multiple input languages, and language for non-Unicode programs.
    But some languages are not installed by default. Those are complex script languages (including Thai), and East Asian languages. Those files are lacking in XP Mode.
    It would be good if you install files for these languages in the XP Mode English VHD for people using those languages who don't have XP installation CD. Otherwise Thai people will have no way to type in Thai language in XP Mode.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 11:05 PM
  • The problem is not really about "user interface" language but "language support".
    Normally English version of Windows XP English supports many languages. Users can have multiple input languages, and language for non-Unicode programs.
    But some languages are not installed by default. Those are complex script languages (including Thai), and East Asian languages. Those files are lacking in XP Mode.
    It would be good if you install files for these languages in the XP Mode English VHD for people using those languages who don't have XP installation CD. Otherwise Thai people will have no way to type in Thai language in XP Mode.

Agreed to that.
    Also the right to left languages are not installed by default. Just lost 1 day after installing the english version, installing all the updates, the anti virus and my application, and then finding out that I can't view hebrew websites.
    In addition, the fact that I need to work with a hebrew operating system just because I need to install an application in hebrew is not acceptable.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Download the XPSP3 iso (you need to have eopen account) from Microsft. Mount the iso image into the XPM DVD drive and when asked for the path C:\i386 change the drive to D:\i386.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 9:33 PM
  • I downloaded XP-SP3, but it does not have the i386 directory. Where can I find this?

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:02 PM
  • On your Windows CD/DVD.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen.
    On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:02:03 +0000, DonGibbs wrote:

I downloaded XP-SP3, but it does not have the i386 directory. Where can I find this?

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:49 PM
  • What can Thai people who don't have eopen account do ? Do Microsoft provide Thai language files for download anywhere else ?
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:47 AM