Problems monitoring SQL Server Backup Status RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I would like to activate the Database Backup Status for SQL databases. If the last backup is older than one day, SCOM should alert.

I have set the following override parameters for the Database Backup Status:

- Backup Period (days): 1
    - Enabled: True
    - Interval (seconds): 90000

SCOM alarms permanently. I suspect an error in the interval. What am I doing wrong? 

BR

Julian

Friday, August 7, 2020 8:53 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the tip. The rule is activated. I don't have to configure anything and SCOM alarms if the backup has failed?

Hi,

The MSSQL on Windows: Database Backup Failed To Complete rule is enabled by default, so you won't have to configure anything, you should receive alerts whenever an SQL backup fails.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by Julian79 Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:54 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2020 8:24 AM
  • As an additional info, that rule is based on the event 3041, which should be generated by SQL Server every time a backup fails.
    Monday, August 10, 2020 8:41 AM

All replies

• Does it alarm permanently for all servers?

As said in the monitor description : 

Additional
    Database Backup Status monitor has no logic to track whether the database is a secondary replica or not.

Since AOG has an advanced backup logic which requires a backup for at least one of the databases involved, the monitor may generate false positive alerts.

The monitor is disabled by default and if you want to enable the monitoring scenario for your environment, it is recommended to keep the monitor disabled for all servers which are not used for storing the database backup.

Friday, August 7, 2020 9:58 AM
  • Moreover, there is already some alerting enabled by default with the "MSSQL on Windows: Database Backup Failed To Complete" rule, which should trigger an alert everytime a backup fails.

If you don't specifically require a monitor here (because you need the database status to go "Red" if backup fails), that should already do the job.

• Edited by CyrAz Friday, August 7, 2020 10:01 AM
    Friday, August 7, 2020 10:00 AM
  • Yes, all databases are affected.
    The last backup was done last night at 11pm.
    Monday, August 10, 2020 7:18 AM
  • Thanks for the tip. The rule is activated. I don't have to configure anything and SCOM alarms if the backup has failed?
    • Unmarked as answer by Julian79 Thursday, August 13, 2020 2:54 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2020 7:19 AM

Hi,

The MSSQL on Windows: Database Backup Failed To Complete rule is enabled by default, so you won't have to configure anything, you should receive alerts whenever an SQL backup fails.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, August 10, 2020 8:24 AM
  • As an additional info, that rule is based on the event 3041, which should be generated by SQL Server every time a backup fails.
    Monday, August 10, 2020 8:41 AM