none
Windows Randomly Freezes when Resource Monitor Disk Highest Active Time Maxed Out RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting this same problem as this person:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/4e33c8d9-fc3d-434b-8dd0-29965d1aa0a2

Except that it seems to happen at random.  While playing a game, browsing the net or when it's just sitting idle.  

Hard drive light goes solid, the blue line (% highest active time) in the resource monitor disk graph stays peaked at 100% but relatively little or no hard disk activity.  

My mouse is also usually still responsive.  Some apps will continue to work, but if I click on them they will usually become unresponsive, same goes if I attempt to click on the Windows Start button.  If I'm playing a game, it will stutter or freeze and a .5-1 second sound clip will continuously loop until it's done (meaning the hard drive light is no longer solid and blue line is no longer peaking).  It is also the same for me that occasionally the OS will freeze completely and I will need to hold down the power button to reboot, but this is usually more rare.

I've checked the Event Viewer and there are no errors that coincide with the problem.  I've run chkdsk and no errors were returned.  Same when I ran Memtest86+ to check RAM, no errors.

My stats are:

-Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

-Intel Core i-7 960 3.2Ghz 

-eVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 Motherboard

-Corsair Dominator 12GB TR3X6g1600C8

-eVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 (x2 SLI)

-CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular PSU

-VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD (x2 RAID 0)

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:57 PM

Answers

• Your problem is with your HD. 10 bucks says you're using a "green" drive as your MBR drive. Another 10 says it's probably a WD. It's functioning but needs to be replaced. It's fine to use the existing HD as a storage drive, but not as your master boot record drive.

To fix this issue you're going to install a new drive, create a system image, and restore the system image to the new drive.
    •Go buy a non-"green" drive. Make sure it's at least as large as your existing MBR drive.
    •Using Windows Backup, create a system image. When asked if you want to create a repair CD, select YES.
    •Copy the system image backup to an external drive or a thumb drive.
    •Install and connect the new HD. It must be at least as large as the existing MBR drive causing the problems.
    •Insert the Windows repair CD you just created in your CD tray.
    •Power down the PC. Disconnect all internal drives except the new drive.
    •Boot the PC and F-12 until you get a prompt.
    •Instruct it to boot from CD.
    •Once Windows is loaded, select Repair Your Computer. You'll have an option to load drivers. At this point drivers are probably not necessary.
    •Select System Image Recovery.
    •When completed, shut down and reconnect any other internal drives.
    •Reboot. et Voila. Problem gone.

Microsoft allows an image restore to a new drive as long as no other hardware's changed. If you happen to replace your mobo at the same time, you're going to have a bad day -- change only the hard drive. This is a Windows protection / anti-piracy thing and works well.

This issue drove me nuts for a couple weeks. Seems it's particular to "green" drives and further, to WD green drives. I slapped the culprit drive in my Drobo and haven't had any problems since.

I'm certain replacing your MBR drive will solve the problem.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

How about updating the BIOS and all devices' driver from the manufacture's site?

I suspect it is the task schedule running in the background. If you want to narrow down the issue, you may need some monitor tools and then analyze.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

To analyze the process, it is better to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone to get more efficient support.

Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400 is available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. pacific time.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:40 AM

All replies

• Any takers?
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Hi,

How about updating the BIOS and all devices' driver from the manufacture's site?

I suspect it is the task schedule running in the background. If you want to narrow down the issue, you may need some monitor tools and then analyze.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

To analyze the process, it is better to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone to get more efficient support.

Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400 is available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. pacific time.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Anything running in task scheduler, like System Restore, Antivirus, etc?

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:55 PM
  • I have this problem too. I also have a Western Digital HD, as did one of the people in the other thread you referenced. Its happening right now, in fact. 
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Your problem is with your HD. 10 bucks says you're using a "green" drive as your MBR drive. Another 10 says it's probably a WD. It's functioning but needs to be replaced. It's fine to use the existing HD as a storage drive, but not as your master boot record drive.

To fix this issue you're going to install a new drive, create a system image, and restore the system image to the new drive.
    •Go buy a non-"green" drive. Make sure it's at least as large as your existing MBR drive.
    •Using Windows Backup, create a system image. When asked if you want to create a repair CD, select YES.
    •Copy the system image backup to an external drive or a thumb drive.
    •Install and connect the new HD. It must be at least as large as the existing MBR drive causing the problems.
    •Insert the Windows repair CD you just created in your CD tray.
    •Power down the PC. Disconnect all internal drives except the new drive.
    •Boot the PC and F-12 until you get a prompt.
    •Instruct it to boot from CD.
    •Once Windows is loaded, select Repair Your Computer. You'll have an option to load drivers. At this point drivers are probably not necessary.
    •Select System Image Recovery.
    •When completed, shut down and reconnect any other internal drives.
    •Reboot. et Voila. Problem gone.

Microsoft allows an image restore to a new drive as long as no other hardware's changed. If you happen to replace your mobo at the same time, you're going to have a bad day -- change only the hard drive. This is a Windows protection / anti-piracy thing and works well.

This issue drove me nuts for a couple weeks. Seems it's particular to "green" drives and further, to WD green drives. I slapped the culprit drive in my Drobo and haven't had any problems since.

I'm certain replacing your MBR drive will solve the problem.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:00 PM
  • @Lauterbrunnen

I have the same problem right now with my Acer 4750g laptop. Highest Active Time for disk spikes to 100% and freezes my computer for a few sec and its really annoying. I tried everything from reformating to buying a new RAM etc. You mean to say I need to buy a new HDD for this laptop? But still I can use my old one as an external storage?

Thanks a lot!

Friday, November 25, 2011 6:01 PM
  • To all who have / had this problem,

I have this same issue with my acer laptop (it did it while I was creating this reply actually!), which has a WD HDD. This thread seems to have the most definitive answer out of everything I read.

Before I go out and do some research on getting a new Hard Drive for my laptop, did anyone have success with changing the HDD?

Thank you all for your input, and for Lauterbrunnen for the awesome information!!

Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:25 AM
  • I have this exact same issue (not responding, 100% highest active time on disk, and drive constantly running) but I have a Samsung HM641JI in my HP PVILLION dv6 laptop. Can the solution be the same if not running a "green" WD Hard drive?
    Monday, March 5, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Had the same problem for the longest time.  Then I realized it only happened when Google Chrome was up, I uninstalled it and haven't froze up since. 
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:15 PM
  • @Lauterbrunnen<abbr class="affil"></abbr>

I finally broke down, took your advice, and changed my hard drive. I had a day one problem with my HP laptop not responding and maxing out the resource monitor for the drive when doing so. All the HP diagnostics, and the Geek Squad diagnostics (I took it in three times to them) showed the drive was OK. Two reformattings of the hard drive later I gave up. The computer was out of warranty so I was on my own. Reluctant to do it myself I had the Geeks change drive against their recommendation.

Happy to report I have not had a Not Responding issue since. Not a one. Plus I upgraded to a 1TB drive so am in fat city with space.

Thank you for offering up what was the right answer to this complex and elusive problem.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:05 PM
  • For future searchers on this topis, I had this issue on a Server 2008 box. It was running so slow it was impossible to use. Turning off "Write Caching" brought the disk activity back down to normal levels.
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:03 AM
  • I had the same thing! I thought it was Chrome, and it was working fine without using Chrome, but then it started happening with firefox.  I'm not sure if it has happened with IE yet.  For the record, I have changed out my SSD so I know it's not hardware in terms of the HD.  I'm thinking it's software? Maybe something to do with flash....... it especially happens with youtube or pandora running.  Has anyone found an answer to this? It's very frustrating!
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:33 AM
  • The replacement of a green drive worked for me. Thanks for the post
    Sunday, January 6, 2013 9:38 PM
  • Hello ,

has he describe it, the hang and freeze look totaly like im experiencing right now. There my Hard Disk : St1000DM 003-9YN162 SCSI (Seagate) . Whatever im doing , playing game or just surfing on the web, my computer will stop processing information for about 1-2min then come back to normal with a huge disque write / read spike.The Disk blue line to the roof in the ressource monitor while freezing without any green line.  Ram at 15% usage. CPU 0%-5%. 

my specs :

Processor : AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor 3.11GHz

RAM : 8G

Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Hard Disk : St1000DM 003-9YN162 SCSI (Seagate) 931G

Windows 7 Familial Premium

Monday, July 8, 2013 11:23 PM
  • Thanks Kuffs

I had the same problem on my HTPC after I swapped out my HDD for an SSD and installed a fresh Windows 7. I tried most everything from various forums. Disabling write cache for my SSD seems to have worked. Figures it was also by far the easiest solution to implement too.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:46 PM
  • i tried a lot before with no long-time success.

But disabling write cache seems to really work for me. 

Except: it slows down my system.

Could it be the combination of mainboard/cpu and SSD?

My system is a intel DX58SO board with a i7 960 and 12 GB RAM, and samsung evo 950 256GB SSD. win7Pro.

Does anyone expirience improvemend thru win10 upgrade?

P.S. i too expirenced disk highest active time maxed out at 100%. It acumulates to a 60sec period, so it seems to be a race condition (http://www.winfuture-forum.de/index.php?showtopic=184160, its german but it seems to fit what they tell us there - problem with ahci drivers and a race condition time out)
    • Edited by ChrisP32 Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:51 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:47 PM
  • I have the same trouble.
    W7x64
    Phenom ii x6 1055t
    GA-780-d3l rev. 4.0
    Palit GTX 660Ti
    FSP PNR 500w
    and SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250gb
    • Edited by SergFlutter Tuesday, October 1, 2019 9:24 PM
    Tuesday, October 1, 2019 9:23 PM