none
SUA community RRS feed

• Question

• There are a number of references and links in the Subsystem for Unix Applications or SUA.  Some links point to a website called www.suacommunity.com but it is not available.  The site says the domain is parked at Nettica. 

How can I get access to some of these resources e.g. bash and other tools ?

Saturday, July 27, 2013 3:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• We can't comment on third party websites. Further, this forum is for Microsoft products only and for non-Microsoft products contact the respective support for assistance.

Balaji Kundalam

Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

I am sorry to say that www.suacommunity.com has been closed.

I just would like to share following links for you to see if you can find the resources you want:

Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772343.aspx

Identity Management for UNIX

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772571.aspx

Hope these could be helpful.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:36 AM
  • Thanks for your posts.  I did manage to access the upgrades for SUA thru www.thinkers.org/~interop.  This will be removed in the fall sometime due to lack of financial support. 

Its unfortunate that Microsoft deems this as third party support.  It seems it was a large forum of info.  Is Microsoft of the opinion that Cygwin is the way now?  I'm hoping to do 64 bit work and Cygwin was failing in that regard a few months ago when I gave up on it. 

Friday, August 2, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Hello, can you reload it?

I amn playing around with idea of unix integrated with living windows systems,
    those packages would help me very much

Thursday, November 1, 2018 12:48 PM
  • The CYGWIN system can give you a Linux environment in Windows 7.  The SUA system was dismantled by Microsoft when they decided to go to Windows 8.  I have managed to do some seismic processing through the CYGWIN approach.  BASH works as well as basic Linux stuff.
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 3:15 PM
  • You are right in a way,

I know that Interix is thrown away before a decade (sigh),

and i am also thinking in the CYGWIN direction,

but still, Interix integration with *living* windows system is better,

and it kind of fun for me to make most of it.

For example, "TOP", "LAST" unix utility your may find only on interix,

not on any other, either cygwin nor MSYS.

As wel as many other classical old school stuff.

So if you or anybody, have any of SUA community packages to give, you are welcome to share.
    Its a shame there is no any mirror for this.

Those scripts and utilities can be ported to brand new WSL for example, or serve learning purpsoses
    • Edited by KO-stat Friday, November 9, 2018 7:04 PM to clarify
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 8:36 PM