none
Error 0x80070057 during clean install - cannot format partition

Question

• I have a HP pavillion dv2618ca laptop that came with a pre-installed Vista Home Premium. I've recently done a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 32-bit on it and it was working well for about a month. However, today at startup the aero look of windows suddenly failed and when i tried to restart the laptop it'd load the Hp welcome screen but not the OS.

I then inserted the Windows setup disk to attempt a repair, which it attempted to repair Boot Data problems several times but the problem was not solved. Every time I try to boot from hardrive i'd get the BSOD and the laptop would reboot, but the BSOD would flash too quickly for me to read the message. But I had managed to backup my data by clicking on Load Drivers option and do copy paste on the folders I need.

So then I tried a clean install of Windows 7 again. But when I try to format the disks I get a message that the partition cannot be formatted. When I click on next I get Windows cannot format partition on drive 0 - error 0x80070057.

I've tried to reload my Vista System Recovery Disk but I get an error, I've tried Load Drivers with the HP harddrive firmware (it doesn't recognize any driver), the HP BIOS doesn't allow me to do system configuration. I run Memory Test and Hard drive diagnostic in BIOS and both passed. I also tried to create partition with diskpart in command prompt but it seemed to made the problem worse, as now i am no longer able to create a system partion. I'm about to tear my hair out...
    Monday, December 06, 2010 7:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Error code 0x80070057 is usually caused by limited permissions, invalid or corrupted disks. I suggest you perform the methods mentioned in the following link to check the result:

You cannot select or format a hard disk partition when you try to install Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, December 08, 2010 10:29 AM
  • gaelity,

Maybe you have a VIRUS giving you all that trouble.

If you have a copy of another OS, XP ( that is easyer to deal wioth) I'd install this other "help" OS, and the Avast Antivirus (there are free versions on the net).  After that I'd schedule a scan during the startup to get ride of ANY virus you may have hidden in your PC, this way you scan before win 7 boots, at statup time.

Once XP and Antivirus is working fine, insert the Win 7 DVD on the DVD drive and do a clean installation of Win 7, I mean, delete and re-create all the partitions, format, setup and install a brand new instalation of Win 7 (it will also kill the Win XP installation).

Note: don't choose to copy the installation files to you PC, otherwise you won't be able to delete the partition.

It will work. I know it's somehow slow, but can give you nice results.

renatoabc

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:33 PM