none
Windows 7- Cannot save files to Desktop anymore

Question

• Windows 7- Cannot save XPS file to Desktop anymore. I was able to until yesterday. I am logged in as my name which is an Admin account what could be wrong?
    Monday, December 07, 2009 7:03 PM

Answers

• Actually none of the above worked. I think it corrected itself or I finally reinstalled Windows.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    • Marked as answer by jshoemaker21 Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:12 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:12 PM

All replies

• check desktop folder in your personal folder. Is the folder there? The content of this folder should be the same as the content of desktop.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 7:09 PM
  • It is.... No problem there. Something else is wrong..... I'm logged in as Admin. I should be able to save to the Desktop....
    Monday, December 07, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Hi Jshoemaker21,

I would like to confirm the following questions first:

1.    What is the error message or the symptom?

2.    Where do you download XPS files from?

I would like to suggest you run System Restore to check the issue.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you disable User Account Control (UAC) to check the issue.

Disable UAC

==========

1. Click the Start Button, type "User account control" and press Enter.

2. When the User account control settings box appears, move the slider to Never notify.

3. Click OK.

What’s the result?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 5:20 AM
  • I did some testing. It would not let me, the Admin, save Anything to the desktop. It always said I did NOT have permission and to contact an Admin. I was the admin. I restored the system with the recovery CD's. What if this happens in the future? The Admin is now restricted like that?
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it seems the permission settings are incorrect.

I would like to suggest you refer to your profile folder and perform the following steps to check the issue.

1.    Right click on Desktop folder and click Properties.

2.    Switch to Security tab and click Edit.

3.    Click Add, type your account name, click Check Names and click OK.

4.    Highlight your account name and allow full control.

5.    Click OK.

What’s the result?

If it does not work, you may create a new administrator account to check the issue.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:19 AM
  • I restored Windows to the factory image. The problem just started happening all of a sudden AGAIN. I cannot even save to My Documents.... What can I do since permissions are Correct
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:21 PM
  • I CAN move files back and forth from desktop and My Documents, but whenever anything from Internet Explorer tries to save or print via XPS to the Desktop or My Folder it says I do not have permissions. I am the Administrator and in that group.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:24 PM
  • Forgive me, I did a little more testing and again it is just saving XPS documents. (same as before the reimaging). As a Server 2003 Admin, I feel awkward asking about this problem.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:25 PM
  • Hi Jshoemaker21,

I would like to confirm have you tried to disable UAC I suggested to test the issue?

Since the system is restored to factory default, the operating system files should be good. This makes me think about the software conflict.

I would like to suggest you test the issue with Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) from Start and Search box.

I also would like to suggest you check the issue in Clean Boot.

What’s the result?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, December 11, 2009 3:31 AM
  • Hello,

Why would the XPS Printer and IE * have conflicts. They both came installed with Windows 7? Are you thinking there may be a bug here that may need to be fixed as I think? I will try disabling UAC just as a test but I do like to have the feature on. The clean boot link goes no where.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Problem still exists. It happens whether non OEM software is installed or not. Also, with another printer installed or not installed. It only denies permission from IE to print to .XPS to any folder I have tried.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:51 PM
  • At jshoemaker21, I'm having similar problems.

For more clarification this is what I have going on.
    Whenever I try to print a document ( using word, photoshop, print offline whatever) by default it makes me save the document.
    Every file, no matter what it is, tries to save as *.xps
    When renamed to something like shipping.xps and saved where I want, it still won't print when opened and try to print.... Says the printer is not responding ( all drivers are current and up to date).
    Also, if you go into the printers properties and print test pages that works perfectly fine, so it doesn't see to be a problem with the printer or connectivity etc. just with printing anything  that isn't through the printer control panel/properties.

jshoemaker21, double check to make sure you're saving your .xps ( or any file) without any punctuation. If your computer is doing what mine is, instead of saving the file by name, it is putting *.xps  in for the file name, which won't save.

Please let me know if you guys have any thoughts or things to try, this is really ticking me off, lol.

Monday, December 14, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Hi,

What’s the result with the built-in administrator account?

Enable the built-in administrator account

=================================

1. Click the Start button->All Programs->Accessories.

2. Right click Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator".

3. Click Continue when the User Account Control window appears.

4. Type the following command and press Enter:

net user administrator /active:yes

Please note, we can replace “yes” with “no” to disable the built-in administrator account in future.

Then you will get the prompt that The command completed successfully.

If it cannot be fixed, please post the screenshot of the error message here. For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:05 AM
  • Andrew,

I can save anything to the Desktop or anything else I want. After a a random amount of time I can no longer print .XPS files to any folde ron the PC. I go into XPS Printer Properties and YES I CAN print a test page successfully. It makes no sense. It shows it can print fine. Once you try to print from an App. it says you have no permission. The result with the built-in admin account is the same as every other admin account. Seems to be quite a bug.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:12 PM
  • Andrew,

I can save anything to the Desktop or anything else I want. After a a random amount of time I can no longer print .XPS files to any folde ron the PC. I go into XPS Printer Properties and YES I CAN print a test page successfully. It makes no sense. It shows it can print fine. Once you try to print from an App. it says you have no permission. The result with the built-in admin account is the same as every other admin account. Seems to be quite a bug.

Mine is the same way, but I never get any error or permissions message, mine just does nothing until I close down the window :/
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:56 PM
  • The only difference is I get a message saying I don't have permission. But there definatley is something wrong somewhere.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:04 PM
  • The only difference is I get a message saying I don't have permission. But there definatley is something wrong somewhere.

Agreed. And why is it making us save the print document before printing it? I've never had an operating system do this, it should just print no matter the status of the file ( saved or otherwise). Is this normal for Windows 7?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:27 PM
  • This is my second installation of Win7 x64. In the first I had no problems. Now I can't print document with the xps printer. If I try to print the test page on printer properties I get this message: "Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance?" but it doesn't find anything with sense.
    The PC is the same of the first installation, the only difference is that I changed my raid 0 boot disk with a new Intel ssd drive, also the software is the same: visual studio pro 2008, office 2007, adobe reader 9.2 and skype.
    I think it's an authorization problem. If I click on "change properties" wich has the UAC shield on it than I can print/save the test page correctly. The problem seems to be in the xps printer in fact no matter what are the permission of the folder I'm trying to save in (I grant to Users Group full control).
    Excuse me for my english.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Have you tried running Sysinternals' Process Monitor while recreating the problem? Then, look over the events, paying attention to any that have a result of ACCESS DENIED.  It may be worth a shot...
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:23 PM
  • There seem to be more and more reports of people having problems with permissions and registry problems with Windows 7. Open up regedit and check the permissions of your keys. If your keys, such as HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT are reporting that they don't have permissions, then your registry has become corrupted like so many. So far it seems, and I emphasize SEEMS that certain installers are causing the problem. You can semi-fix the problem with the utility called subinacl. It can be downloaded from Microsoft.

Once you decide to use subinacl, take note that you have to TAKE OWNERSHIP of the keys in order to change them. Subinacl can also fix directories and files too.

Good Luck

There are NO failures-only incomplete succeses
    Monday, December 14, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Have you tried running Sysinternals' Process Monitor while recreating the problem? Then, look over the events, paying attention to any that have a result of ACCESS DENIED.  It may be worth a shot...

I didn't know Sysinternals' Process Monitor, many thanks for the sueggestion.
    The problem is in the Explorer process, it returns many errors:

13:00:40,0578764	Explorer.EXE	3212	NotifyChangeDirectory	E:\prova	CANCELLED	Filter: FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_DIR_NAME
    13:00:40,0623975	Explorer.EXE	3212	FileSystemControl	E:\prova	INVALID DEVICE REQUEST	Control: FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO
    13:00:40,0625010	Explorer.EXE	3212	QueryDirectory	E:\prova	NO MORE FILES	
    13:00:40,7264485	Explorer.EXE	3212	FileSystemControl	E:\prova	INVALID DEVICE REQUEST	Control: FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO
    13:00:40,7265752	Explorer.EXE	3212	QueryDirectory	E:\prova	NO MORE FILES	
    13:00:41,2432901	Explorer.EXE	3212	FileSystemControl	E:\prova	INVALID DEVICE REQUEST	Control: FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO
    13:00:41,2481788	Explorer.EXE	3212	FileSystemControl	E:\prova	INVALID DEVICE REQUEST	Control: FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO
    13:00:41,2485014	Explorer.EXE	3212	FileSystemControl	E:\prova	INVALID DEVICE REQUEST	Control: FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO
    13:00:41,2488186	Explorer.EXE	3212	FileSystemControl	E:\prova	INVALID DEVICE REQUEST	Control: FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO
    13:00:41,2501616	Explorer.EXE	3212	NotifyChangeDirectory	E:\prova	CANCELLED	Filter: FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_FILE_NAME, FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_ATTRIBUTES, FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_LAST_WRITE
    13:00:41,2571159	Explorer.EXE	3212	FileSystemControl	E:\prova	INVALID DEVICE REQUEST	Control: FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO
    13:00:41,3124586	Explorer.EXE	3212	CreateFile	E:\prova	IS DIRECTORY	Desired Access: Read Attributes, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a
    13:00:41,3125680	Explorer.EXE	3212	FileSystemControl	E:\prova	NOT REPARSE POINT	Control: FSCTL_GET_REPARSE_POINT
    13:00:41,3230253	Explorer.EXE	3212	QueryInformationVolume	E:\prova	BUFFER OVERFLOW	VolumeCreationTime: 31/01/2009 22:01:06, VolumeSerialNumber: 7C09-E235, SupportsObjects: True, VolumeLabel: Varr
    13:00:41,3230430	Explorer.EXE	3212	QueryAllInformationFile	E:\prova	BUFFER OVERFLOW	CreationTime: 13/12/2009 15:42:48, LastAccessTime: 16/12/2009 13:00:41, LastWriteTime: 16/12/2009 13:00:41, ChangeTime: 16/12/2009 13:00:41, FileAttributes: RD, AllocationSize: 0, EndOfFile: 0, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: True, IndexNumber: 0x85000000000dd5, EaSize: 0, Access: Read Attributes, Synchronize, Position: 0, Mode: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, AlignmentRequirement: Word

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:08 PM
  • The snippet from Promon that you provided does not indicate any problem.  That type of activity is likely normal and expected, and would likely be encountered on any Windows 7 system.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:12 PM
  • I started this thread about a week ago. I was just curious if anyone has any insight on why, after restoring my PC to the factory image, I can print to an XPS file but then a few days later get the permission denied error for ANY folder I try to save it to? Thanks
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:31 PM
  • I can't hazard a guess, but if I was experiencing what you are describing, on my system, I would try the Procmon route, and check for unexpected results, odd or unexpected paths, or other oddities.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Hello All,

I solved my issue. It was an authorization problem.
    I usually change the path of TEMP folder and TMP folder in Environment Variables from the User folder to C:\Temp . The last time I forgot to give to the Users Group the proper permissions to C:\Temp.
    So xps writer needs full access to the temp folder.

Hope this could help someone else.

Happy new year!
    Monday, January 04, 2010 12:44 PM
  • So what am I supposed to do and is Microsoft going to patch this? Thanks
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:37 AM
  • Finally a fix! It was AVG Free. Removed AVG free. All is well again and I am a happy man.
    Daryl Sensenig
    • Proposed as answer by Daryl Sensenig Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jshoemaker21 Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:08 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:49 PM
  • I'm sorry that is not the answer I started the thread and no where did I mention using such product. I use Norton.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:08 PM
  • I tried all the suggestions and so for they did not work. I could not add, delete, or change any file on my desktop screen. That means I could not create or edit a text file.

But I tried this, and it worked. It was really easy but it just looks long so print this out and follow along.

Start-->Computer-->Local Disk (C:)-->Users-->The Adimnistrator Folder(My main account)-->Right Click Desktop-->Click Properties-->Click the Security tab-->Click the Advanced Button-->Now Click the Owner tab-->Now Click the Edit button-->the User Account pop-up comes up, so select yes, and if you have to enter a password do so now-->Here (at the Advanced Security for Desktop) I selected the "Other users or groups" button-->Now I typed "Administrator" in the text box and hit the "check names" button-->My admin account name showed up so I highlighted it and hit the OK button-->that automatically put my main (Administrator) account it into the box in the preceding box(the Advanced Security for Desktop)-->Finally I selected the OK button and I'm done. Yep DONE. I can now add, delete, or change any file on my desktop.

Hope this helps!

• Edited by polarlights1 Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:42 PM spelling error
    • Proposed as answer by ThatGuy2305 Friday, May 31, 2013 11:23 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ThatGuy2305 Friday, May 31, 2013 11:23 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Same problem here - just started. My av is MSE.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:51 PM
  • You know windows 7 has a built in problem steps recorder you can use to record step by step how you did something ?

See video about it here.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd320286

Hope it save ya some typeing later.

• Proposed as answer by appachi99 Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:44 AM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:13 AM
  • you need to enable deskop icons to show in deskop ? right cklick with mouse on descop -> wiew -> icons
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Actually none of the above worked. I think it corrected itself or I finally reinstalled Windows.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    • Marked as answer by jshoemaker21 Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:12 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Sometimes if a file is locked by another program you can get a access denied error. You can try a simple restart to see if the desktop folder stays released.

If there is still a problem the best suggestion is to run process monitor. Do a capture and then start filtering out things that do not pertain to the operation.

You can also try searching for the words "Access Denied", then move out from that point. Or search for the word "Desktop"

If you are not sure on how to use process monitor then I would suggest watching the trouble shooting videos by Mark Russinovich located at

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963887 Look for "The case of the unexplained" .

If you send the trace to someone to look at it, the trace would need to be a full trace in the native format so the person at the other end can do the filtering.

Start the trace just before you start the save operation and stop it right after the fail and the window is closed, you would want to keep the file small as possible if you wanted to send it to someone.

Don't think you would need the profiling checked though.

you could also run problems steps recorder while taking the process monitor trace. Some times you can see that is is just a matter of "save as" instead of "Save"

Or using a file down-loader from an XP machine that does not work the new path structure of Vista or Windows 7.

If you are in a corporate environment or possibly connecting to one, a group policy could be in effect locking down certain files from the internet.

Another thought is the problem could be with the site you want to download the file from, If it is in a secure location that you have to be logged into in order to do any file operations.

Hope some of these ideas help, without seeing a trace and how the file is being saved there are allot of different things that could cause the problem, from IE Lock down to problems with the download site, to folder permissions on your system, corrupted registry keys, and several other things.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:48 PM
  • 1.Go To Desktop 

2.Right Click And Go To View....

3.In View Click View Desktop Item!

DONE.....This Will Work If U did not realize that Your 'view desktop icons' was untick

HOPE THIS HELPED!!!

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:54 AM