none
1909 Language Pack Installation during SCCM Task Sequence broken? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

we are deploying and (feature-)updating our machines through SCCM Task Sequences successfully for years now. Until 1809 we installed several Language Packs and Features on Demand as part of the OSD TS (and also through Upgrade Task Sequences for Windows 10 Feature Updates). This process has worked successfully until we now started testing everything with the latest Windows 10 1909 (we skipped the 1903 in the past). 

The issue we are experiencing is the following:

• Microsoft Edge is renamed to "Application Guard Welcome Message" (in German: "Application Guard Willkommensnachricht")
    • Edge menu icons show only square symbols" 
    • The Windows Search Menu is not working (cannot type any command).

We are using Windows 10 1909 Enterprise English as the base install and are installing the German Language Pack and FOD as part of the OSD Task Sequence after the Base OS installation (after SCCM client bit before installation of other apps). 

I'm running these commands to install the German Language Pack as part of the Task Sequence:

DISM.exe /Online /Add-package /packagepath:.\Microsoft-Windows-Client-Language-Pack_x64_de-de.cab
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-package /packagepath:.\Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-Basic-de-de-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cab
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-package /packagepath:.\Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-Handwriting-de-de-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cab
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-package /packagepath:.\Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-OCR-de-de-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cab
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-package /packagepath:.\Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-Speech-de-de-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cab
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-package /packagepath:.\Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-TextToSpeech-de-de-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~.cab
    DISM.EXE /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:.\LanguageExperiencePack.de-DE.Neutral.appx /LicensePath:.\License.xml

System Logs indicate that all command lines have successfully applied.

The issue happens both when installing a new 1909 system and also when upgrading an existing 1709 or 1809 version with an upgrade TS (installing the LP after the upgrade). It only happens, when the 1903 Language Pack and 1903 FOD are installed as part of the SCCM Task Sequence. When I install the system without any Language Pack and install the Language Pack after the SCCM Task Sequence (while in full Windows again), everything is OK. 

There must be something wrong with the 1903 Language Packs when being installed as part of a SCCM Task Sequence. The issue looks similar to the observations made in this thread and also this thread.

Does anyone have the same experience we have? Any tips are welcome. 

Thank you. Regards Udo

Sunday, November 17, 2019 12:48 PM

All replies

• You must re-install (add) the latest cumulative update after adding the language packs (because they are v18362.1)

and you don't need the LanguageExperiencePack, it's either LP.cab or LXP.appx not both

• Edited by abbodi86 Sunday, November 17, 2019 4:35 PM
    Sunday, November 17, 2019 4:26 PM
  • Inject required language packs in original install.wim.

Deploy 1909 with custom install.wim as an upgrade package.

Use the logic and scripts from this post for the upgrade TS: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Configuration-Manager-Archive/How-to-Upgrade-Windows-Clients-with-Multiple-Languages-installed/ba-p/401044, but without downloading or applying any language packs (since they are already injected in the image).

Have a try.

In fact, for SCCM issue, you could ask for help from SCCM forum, the reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=systemcenter2012configurationmanager

Thanks for your understanding and cooperating.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 2:24 AM
  • Hi Udo

We are seeing the same issue with 1909 and DK language Pack. Hope to see a fix soon.

Emil Skibsted

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:58 PM
  • We are facing the same problem in our deployment. 1093 Worked fine for us but using 1909 we get the same bug shown above in the image of edge. 

We are trying to install the german lp as well.

• Edited by Artwert Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Small Update:

After some testing it turns out when this "bug" occurs installing just the windows Update solves the Problem. The Image i used was the November Update 1909. When i boot the first time Edge and so one is broken but after applying updates most of the problems are fixed. Edge is still called "Application Guard Willkommensnachricht".

Monday, November 25, 2019 1:42 PM
  • Here's my recent update:

I can confirm that applying the 2019-11 Cumulative Update AFTER installing the 1903 Language Packs seems to work. The update seems to fix the wrong behavior somehow. 

However, we are now encountering issues with the Windows Action Center no longer working due to crashing ShellExperienceHost application. Will open a new thread for that ...

Please let us know your experiences with applying Language Packs and Features on Demand for 1909. 

Monday, November 25, 2019 6:43 PM

I can confirm that applying the 2019-11 Cumulative Update AFTER installing the 1903 Language Packs seems to work. The update seems to fix the wrong behavior somehow. 

However, we are now encountering issues with the Windows Action Center no longer working due to crashing ShellExperienceHost application. Will open a new thread for that ...

Please let us know your experiences with applying Language Packs and Features on Demand for 1909. 

You may find the following discussion useful:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/bd6efe33-c108-40f0-89df-d7bbe59a0183/windows-10-language-pack-and-local-experience-pack?forum=win10itprosetup

Thursday, November 28, 2019 12:09 PM
  • Small Update:

After some testing it turns out when this "bug" occurs installing just the windows Update solves the Problem. The Image i used was the November Update 1909. When i boot the first time Edge and so one is broken but after applying updates most of the problems are fixed. Edge is still called "Application Guard Willkommensnachricht".

I experience the same issue. On 1909 image, I have added the LPs (.cab) for some languages and same results as you mentioned.
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 12:43 PM

That's correct for me too, once I have installed Nov-Cum update, restarted the PC (18362.1 to 1362.476), solved the Edge behavior at least.
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 3:34 PM
  • I tested it on a another machine and only used this Update KB4524570.

It fixed pretty much everything except Edge being called "Application Guard Willkommensnachricht".

Friday, November 29, 2019 3:54 PM
  • I tested it on a another machine and only used this Update KB4524570.

It fixed pretty much everything except Edge being called "Application Guard Willkommensnachricht".

In my experiments, after installing this KB4524570, Edge was renamed back to "Microsoft Edge".

Can you retry in the following order to see if it helps:?

1. Mount the image.
    2. Add Packages (.CAB files for LPs).
    3. Update KB4524570
    • Proposed as answer by -OSD- Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:49 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2019 9:26 AM
  • Ah now Edge is called correctly. For me it worked after the 2nd reboot after i applied the update. When booted i got couple messages "there was problem with Edge" and it go reset.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:58 AM