none
Increase Maximum Number of Connections limit for a Shared Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

On Windows 7,

I recently faced a problem where a shared folder is able to receive only 20 concurrent connections.

On googling I came to know that it is windows default behaviour and it has been specified in the windows "End-User License Agreement".

I've tried this option to increase the count : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753521.aspx , but this seems to me of no use.

I desperately need this to be increased.

Are there any settings or hotfixes to overcome this limitation ?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 4:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post, and from your word, I know that you would like to configure the maximum connection of Windows 7 file sharing more than 20.

Please be aware that the maximum number of users allowed to connect to a shared folder is limited by software licensing terms. You may allow up to 20 other devices to access software installed on the licensed computer to use only File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services and Internet Connection Sharing and Telephony Services. This is by designed.

Hope these could be helpful.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:12 AM

All replies

• Try this:

Stop sharing the folder, restart the PC, start sharing the folder and define the user limit here.

Reply if the issue persists.

Balaji Kundalam

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:32 AM
  • More than 20 connections to a share : why do not use a file server instead ? Or a NAS/SAN ? Just an idea :)
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post, and from your word, I know that you would like to configure the maximum connection of Windows 7 file sharing more than 20.

Please be aware that the maximum number of users allowed to connect to a shared folder is limited by software licensing terms. You may allow up to 20 other devices to access software installed on the licensed computer to use only File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services and Internet Connection Sharing and Telephony Services. This is by designed.

Hope these could be helpful.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:12 AM
  • hi this is sumit 

you can do one think just create the filezilla server download the file zilla server and install on the system and then configer you can access more then 20 user can access the server 

Monday, July 7, 2014 9:26 AM
  • That makes sense. Thank for your reply.
    Friday, February 1, 2019 6:40 AM
  • Try using IP Address, this should resolve this. Another way to resolve is to use same service account for all the agents. However this may not be possible for all scenarios. Using IP address to access the share will surely help resolve the below error: There is an old KB from MS also talks about this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/938120/error-message-when-you-use-user-credentials-to-connect-to-a-network-sh
    "Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again"
    Sunday, February 17, 2019 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

You want to share with more than 20 users but each share is limited to 20 users by design.

Solution: Create more than one share for the same folder.

Go to Advanced Sharing.

Your current share will be displayed under Share name.

Click Add. Write down a new Share name (example: MyShare2) and a Description (similar to the first share). User limit - Maximum allowed should be selected (20 users).

Click Permissions to give those if you did that with the first share. Click OK. Click Apply then click OK.

You will end up with two shares that connect to the same folder. If a user is denied access to one, said user can connect with the other.

I hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by ForexDude Wednesday, September 4, 2019 11:57 PM
    Friday, March 8, 2019 8:58 PM