none
Disable Printer Redirection on Terminal Server, for all but 1 user RRS feed

• Question

• I work in a windows environment with two windows 2008 servers, one running Exchange which is also the Domain Controller with Active Directory, the second is a Terminal Server running our software. I am seeing a lot of users getting printer redirections when connecting to our terminal server which is causing us some issues. Though I disable printer sharing on the shorcut I find the redirects still come back.

The solution I found was to disable printer redirection in the local security policy on the Terminal Server. This worked until one user who works remotely was complaining that he couldn't print to his printer. He has a local printer that cannot be installed onto the server that he needs to print to. So I had to turn this option back on. I am looking for a way to disable printer redirection for all users other than this one, however I am finding the concepts of local security policies and group security policies confusing. Also I am unsure if I would be creating these policies on my Domain Controller with Active Directory, or on the Terminal server, which is how I originall disabled the option.

Can anyone help?

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 4:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I see that you enabled "Do not allow client printer redirection" via group policy previously as a workaround. Please note that this is a computer policy, any users who logs on the Terminal Server via RDP should be disabled for printer redirection,  this is by design and cannot be changed.

If you want to disable or enable printer redirection for some users, I suggest you can refer to the “Configure printer redirection settings per user” section in the following support article. Please make sure "Do not allow client printer redirection" is not enabled first.

Configuring Printer Redirection Settings

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff519145(WS.10).aspx  

Please go to Active Directory Users and Computers, locate the user for whom you do not want to configure printer redirection. Open Properties window, on the Environment tab, clear the following check boxes:

Connect client printers at logon

If you clear this check box, client printers are not automatically connected. However, a user can still manually map their client printer.

Default to main client printer

Select this check box to print to the default printer of the client. If you clear this check box, the default printer of the server is used as the default printer for all client sessions.

Note: By default, both of these check boxes are selected.

Hope the above information will be helpful.

Thanks.

Nina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by 706 Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:27 AM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I see that you enabled "Do not allow client printer redirection" via group policy previously as a workaround. Please note that this is a computer policy, any users who logs on the Terminal Server via RDP should be disabled for printer redirection,  this is by design and cannot be changed.

If you want to disable or enable printer redirection for some users, I suggest you can refer to the “Configure printer redirection settings per user” section in the following support article. Please make sure "Do not allow client printer redirection" is not enabled first.

Configuring Printer Redirection Settings

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff519145(WS.10).aspx  

Please go to Active Directory Users and Computers, locate the user for whom you do not want to configure printer redirection. Open Properties window, on the Environment tab, clear the following check boxes:

Connect client printers at logon

If you clear this check box, client printers are not automatically connected. However, a user can still manually map their client printer.

Default to main client printer

Select this check box to print to the default printer of the client. If you clear this check box, the default printer of the server is used as the default printer for all client sessions.

Note: By default, both of these check boxes are selected.

Hope the above information will be helpful.

Thanks.

Nina

• Marked as answer by 706 Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:27 AM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 9:29 AM
  • That sounds like exactly what I need. One of the problems was that the default printer would attempt to redirect to the client printer and the print job simply woudn't work, these options should allow me to disable these. Thank you very much.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that the information is helpful.  Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Nina

Friday, December 10, 2010 2:38 AM
  • I know this is an old thread but searching has brought this thread up at the top.

With Server 2019, I have been able to restrict RDP Printing Redirection by setting the permissions on the Remote Desktop Easy Print driver itself. Open Print Management >  Custom Filters > All Drivers >Right Click Easy Print Driver then select Properties highlight tsprint.dll and click properties > Click Security tab then Edit and add the users/groups and then deny all.

This trick appears to block read access to the dll responsible for the remote print. Seems to work so far!

The result is an error is displayed if a user tries to a redirected printer.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:49 PM