none
Windows10 x64 Home connectivity issues with Broadcom 43xx Wifi RRS feed

• Question

• I did a clean install of Windows10 x64 Home on a HP laptop which has a Broadcom 43xx series wifi built-in. Ever since installing Windows10 I have had the wifi simply failing. The Wireless list shows limited access when this happens. I can not reconnect to the 2.4Ghz Apple Airport Extreme router. Its currently using a MS driver and there are no updates for it.

This computer originally came with Windows7 x64 Home and had no such issues with the wifi on that o/s. If this can not be fixed I will have to revert back to Win7. I have checked the Power saving mode and it is set to maximum when the laptop is connected to ac which is when I have seen this issue happening.

Sunday, August 2, 2015 12:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• I would get the most current driver from broadcom (or your computer maker) and install it.  It there are no win 8 drivers install the most recent in compatibility mode

To install in compatibility mode do the following:

Right click the installer>properties>compatibility>choose OS

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows?SignedIn=1
    (works in  win 7, win 8, and win 10)

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Sunday, August 2, 2015 12:15 AM
  • Most recent one is from HP for Windows7 x64 the one that the laptop was infact using before I upgraded to Windows10
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 12:26 AM
  • can not reconnect to the 2.4Ghz Apple Airport Extreme router.

Connect to its control panel you mean?  Can you connect to it using Ethernet or USB?  In my case I had to hardcode a static address to get to mine and then was surprised to find that it was trying to use some obsolete addressing (from a previous router).  Don't understand how that happened.  Anyway it works OK that way for now and I'll have to try to figure out how to clean it up later.

What is the state of IPv6 with yours?  That has been a problem for some users who came to W8.1 from earlier OS.  Ironically now while mine is limping with the static address override it shows no IPv6 connectivity.  Actually I'm not really sure what the real state of it is.  In PowerShell  Get-NetConnectionProfile shows  IPv6Connectivity:  NoTraffic  but in  Wi-Fi Status, Network Connection Details window I see a Link-local IPv6 Address but no IPv6 Default Gateway or IPV6 DNS Server.  So I think there can be at least local traffic, e.g. for a Homegroup.  Then why doesn't that PowerShell command show that instead of NoTraffic?

Earlier, before the upgrade and before I got a new ISP and new modem/router I had overridden the Wi-Fi connection with a static gateway address.  That seemed to help smooth out problems when starting cold and when recovering from outages.  I forgot that I had done that when the new router arrived so I guess somehow it had adapted to that, so that's what the upgrade had to work around too.  

Another thing that I forgot to do is uninstall Hyper-V before the upgrade so it also had the confusion caused by Hyper-V's virtual switch dealing with the lowest level of wireless addressing, the Ethernet.   Oops.

What other options do you have for connectivity?  E.g. can you bypass your router completely?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, August 2, 2015 4:56 AM
  • Eithernet is fine but what use is ethernet when one has a laptop. Wifi is a lot more prevelent. Regarding IPV6  I do not even bother with IPV6 on the lan side of things here since the number of devices in use are fine with IPV4. 
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 5:31 AM
  • Eithernet is fine but what use is ethernet when one has a laptop. 

To get into the router's control panel and try to fix problems from that side.  Also, you may have diagnostics in there that are only viewable that way.

BTW as I understand it IPv6 is required to have a Homegroup, so it is not just the addressing that you need to think about but their control.

Related to this you may get some more clues from the Firewall rules.  I wish I knew how its monitor function worked.  I suspect there may be good clues available that way too.

So, I suspect most likely your "limited access" symptom implies that the physical connectivity is adequate but what is really missing is a way of proving that the connectivity is secure.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, August 2, 2015 8:08 PM
  • IPV6, firewall rules and my router's control panel has nothing to do with my issue. My issue is with Windows10 Broadcom 43xx wifi chipset. The laptop with Windows7 had no issues with the same router maintaining the connection. I am not using HomeGroups. The firewall rules would cause the wireless connection to go dead and cease to function after working fine for an hour or two. A flaky Wifi driver would.

Sunday, August 2, 2015 8:58 PM
  • The laptop with Windows7 had no issues with the same router maintaining the connection.

That doesn't really contradict my point because I think the auto-discovery may have changed.

The firewall rules would cause the wireless connection to go dead and cease to function after working fine for an hour or two. A flaky Wifi driver would.

Nor that but it is another example of why diagnostics could help refine your symptom description.  E.g. is the driver dead?  Then shouldn't there be an Event log entry about that?  If not, why is there no recovery?  If there has been recovery but it reached a limit surely there would be an Event log entry about that?  Etc.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 3, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding this issue, please try following updates and they may fix your issue:

No wireless networks are available after you upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3084164

Cumulative Update for Windows 10: August 5, 2015
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081424

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, August 8, 2015 6:35 AM
    Owner
  • The solution to this problem was to use compatibility mode under Windows10  to install the Windows7 x64 driver via its EXE installer file.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:49 PM