none
Unable to enable Hyper-V, status 0x800f0922. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hopefully someone can help.

I'm trying to enable Hyper-V in Windows 10 but unable to and event log are showing the following "Update Microsoft-Hyper-V-All of package Microsoft-Hyper-V-ClientEdition failed to be turned on. Status: 0x800f0922." errors. I upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Enterprise (via Pro).

System Info as below:

Intel Core i7-6500U @2.5GHz (VT-x & VT-d enabled in BIOS)
    8 GB RAM
    Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit
    version 1803
    OS Build 17134.167
    Windows Update is up-to-date

Hyper-V Requirements: All 4 Yes (running systeminfo)

Tried the followings from article https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/4d373cc1-faec-41e5-84cd-f56bc464b3a9/unable-to-install-hyperv-on-windows-10?forum=win10itprovirt

- Removed antivirus software
    - Install from clean boot .. no luck
    - Install from an external Windows 10 installation media.
    Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V /All /Source:<drive>:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess  .. no luck

Have tried from both the Dism command and the 'Turn Windows feature on or off' interface. Every time the install will run fine and ask for a restart, once restarted it continues with the feature upgrade but then bombs out at 98% and revert changes.

Also checked CBS.log but couldn't make much sense of it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

HS

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From windows media creation tool, you can't download enterprise image. It is suggested that you can get the enterprise product and key from Volume Licensing Service Center.

https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/servicecenter/default.aspx

I noticed that you have clean install the os from MSDN but still can't enable Hyper-v, I wander if you perform a clean install or an in-place upgrade?

Based on your situation, it is suggested that you can get the image from  Volume Licensing Service Center, then perform a clean install, rather than an in-place upgrade. The difference is clean install should boot from DVD/USB, while in-place upgrade can boot from current os,then click setup.exe.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by HeoSua Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:25 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 5:39 AM

All replies

• 'Install from an external Windows 10 installation media.' do you mean  to install the Hyper-V install from? (as opposed to you have clean installed Windows?).

Seen odd issues on these forums when folks upgrade Home to Pro (do not know how you then upgraded to Enterprise). So wondering if that is the issue here?

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:19 PM
  • Hi,

I upgraded from Home to Pro using the Activation tab in Update & Security. That went fine, I then did the same to upgrade from Pro to Enterprise. I tried installing Hyper-V after that but that didn't work. So i downloaded Windows 10 1803 ISO from MSDN and ran an install over the top of current Windows hoping to correct any issues but still cannot install Hyper-V. That 'Install from an external Windows 10 installation media.' should be for installing Hyper-V from an external source, which is to the downloaded ISO i mentioned above. I made it a bit clearer below.

- Install Hyper-V from an external Windows 10 installation media using the below command
    Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V /All /Source:<drive>:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess  .. no luck

Thanks

Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:18 AM
  • Also checked CBS.log but couldn't make much sense of it. 

Nevertheless that's where you will find some details about your error code.  Try matching with timestamps to get into the correct context.  You may find that it is not CBS.log that you want to look at but an earlier archived piece.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:42 AM
  • OK, thanks Robert.
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:46 AM
  • Hi,

From windows media creation tool, you can't download enterprise image. It is suggested that you can get the enterprise product and key from Volume Licensing Service Center.

https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/servicecenter/default.aspx

I noticed that you have clean install the os from MSDN but still can't enable Hyper-v, I wander if you perform a clean install or an in-place upgrade?

Based on your situation, it is suggested that you can get the image from  Volume Licensing Service Center, then perform a clean install, rather than an in-place upgrade. The difference is clean install should boot from DVD/USB, while in-place upgrade can boot from current os,then click setup.exe.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by HeoSua Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:25 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 5:39 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

Thanks for helping. Didn't know about this Volume Licensing Service Center only ever downloaded from my MSDN benefits. Below is what i downloaded which i thought would also included Enterprise.

I did an in-place install only, will try a clean install as a last resort. 

Thursday, July 19, 2018 11:26 PM
  • Ok. Let me know if the clean install helps

Friday, July 20, 2018 8:43 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

I performed a complete clean install of Windows Enterprise and that resolved the Hyper-V installation issue.

Thank you everyone for helping out. 

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:28 AM