none
Folder Redirection - Server migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I trying to migrate the Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2019.

Can I just export the GPO and import it into the new AD servers 2019?

All the domain client PC also require to migrate to the new PC.

So can I just copy and paste user profiles, desktop folders and document folder to go to the new server share folder?

Is there anything that I need to take note?

Thursday, November 14, 2019 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

According to our description, our primary domain controller is 2008 R2, we want to migrate the PDC in our domain from 2008 R2 to 2019, if anything is misunderstood, please correct me.

The minimum requirement to add a Windows Server 2019 Domain Controller is a Windows Server 2008 functional level. The domain also has to use DFS-R as the engine to replicate SYSVOL.

Q1: Can I just export the GPO and import it into the new AD servers 2019?
    A1: If our case is the suituation as I described, the GPO between all DCs in the same domain will replicate aotomatically.

Q2: So can I just copy and paste user profiles, desktop folders and document folder to go to the new server share folder?
    A2: For user profiles, do we configure the roaming profiles for our domain users?
    Do we configure the folder redirection for users?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Hi Daisy,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

What is the DFS-R as the engine to replicate SYSVOL?

A2: For user profiles, do we configure the roaming profiles for our domain users?
    Do we configure the folder redirection for users?

Yes, I had configure the folder redirection for all users. So can I just copy and paste the files?

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:19 AM
  • Hi,
    That is SYSVOL replication way, FRS or DFSR. We can check according to the following registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DFSR\Parameters\SysVols\Migrating Sysvols\LocalState registry subkey. If this registry subkey exists and its value is set to 3 (ELIMINATED), DFSR is being used. If the subkey does not exist, or if it has a different value, FRS is being used.

Do we configure the folder redirection for all users on all these folders (AppData,Contacts,Desktop,Documents,Downloads,Favorites,Links,Music,Pictures,Saved Games,Searches and Videos)?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:19 AM
  • Hi,
    I am just writing to see if this question has any update. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let us know.
    Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Friday, November 22, 2019 10:39 AM