Got a doozy of a one here... RRS feed

• Question

• I was woken up by our junior admins at 3am last night. Seems our ADFS farm of four nodes completely died.

We receive a bunch of validity errors relating to certificates upon service startup, get the below error and then the service stops. I have tried all the various powershell scripts to work with the certs but receive errors that the WID database rejected the connection (more cert based errors?) although the WID services are running and accessible via SSMS.

About all I can successfully do is remove the role and restart from scratch which forces an overwrite on the existing database. Doesn't seem to be any path forward. I even grabbed the WID files, ported them to SQL server and even that connection attempt fails out with the same error. 

There was an error in enabling endpoints of Federation Service. Fix configuration errors using PowerShell cmdlets and restart the Federation Service. 

Additional Data 
    Exception details: 
    System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: certificate
       at System.IdentityModel.Tokens.X509SecurityToken..ctor(X509Certificate2 certificate, String id, Boolean clone, Boolean disposable)
       at Microsoft.IdentityServer.Service.Configuration.MSISSecurityTokenServiceConfiguration.Create(Boolean forSaml, Boolean forPassive)
       at Microsoft.IdentityServer.Service.Policy.PolicyServer.Service.ProxyPolicyServiceHost.ConfigureWIF()
       at Microsoft.IdentityServer.Service.SecurityTokenService.MSISConfigurableServiceHost.Configure()
       at Microsoft.IdentityServer.Service.Policy.PolicyServer.Service.ProxyPolicyServiceHost.Create()
       at Microsoft.IdentityServer.ServiceHost.STSService.StartProxyPolicyStoreService(ServiceHostManager serviceHostManager)
       at Microsoft.IdentityServer.ServiceHost.STSService.OnStartInternal(Boolean requestAdditionalTime)

Sunday, March 15, 2020 2:13 PM

All replies

• Were there any certificate related operation before the outage?

Maybe an update of the certificates?

Note that I would recommend to post your message to the new platform to increase its visibility: https://docs.microsoft.com/answers/topics/adfs.html

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, March 16, 2020 11:48 PM