none
After remote desktop session is disconnected, Windows begins using 100% CPU RRS feed

• Question

winver output: Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.295)
    After the most recent cumulative update (August 13, 2019—KB4512508 (OS Build 18362.295)) and subsequent automated reboot, the below problem started.

Problem: after remote desktop (rdesktop) session is disconnected (without logging off), CPU usage of the system raises to 100% and system becomes irresponsible:

- it responds to PING
    - it doesn't serve further rdesktop connections (although it listens on port 3389 and can be connected via telnet-like utility)
    - when attempted to log on from console, it takes ages to ask for password and verify it, then it shows black screen (remaining in that state until reset)

Is the problem known? If yes, how should it be handled?

Logging off rdesktop connections is undesirable.

Considering  rolling back the buggy "quality" update, as the first step - unless more sensible advice is posted here.

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, August 19, 2019 10:16 AM

All replies

• Am I the only one hit by this bug?
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:37 AM
  • when the system has an Intel GPU: could be this problem:
    DWM.EXE High CPU (One Core) On Target System after Remote Desktop Disconnect on Windows 10 x64 1903 (Fully Patched)
    even when your system does not have an Intel GPU: updating the display driver could help.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 5:16 AM
  • Hi,

If it is physical device, please access the hardware provider’s official website, search and confirm hardware driver manually based on your hardware model. Make sure that current driver version is compatible with the OS version. Update the driver if necessary to check the result. 

Besides, if possible, please re-start system in Clean Boot, with all 3rd party process disabled, then, only enable RDP and open system built-in applications, wait for a period of time to confirm that if problem happens again. It would be helpful to determine if it is effected by 3rd party process.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If problem still happens on Clean Boot, based on your description, problem happens recently after installing specific update - KB4512508, if possible, please un-install this update, or restore from system backup to undo the change and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:29 AM
  • Yes, we have exactly the same issue, been driving us mad, we are trying to uninstall KB4512508 currently to see if this resolves the issue.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:06 PM
  • We have now uninstalled KB505903 and the issue seems to be resolved
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:50 PM
  • We have now uninstalled KB505903 and the issue seems to be resolved
    Thanks for the comment. I will try uninstalling it ASAP, to check as well.

Thanks to everyone else for your suggestions.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:03 AM
  • when the system has an Intel GPU: could be this problem:
    DWM.EXE High CPU (One Core) On Target System after Remote Desktop Disconnect on Windows 10 x64 1903 (Fully Patched)
    even when your system does not have an Intel GPU: updating the display driver could help.
    It has Intel GPU (CPU built-in) , indeed. I will check the mentioned approach as well, although using deprecated drivers isn't fun, either.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:06 AM
  • Hi,

Please feel free to let us known if you have more questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Monday, August 26, 2019 1:08 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

The system in question is available for experiments during limited time every week. As soon as I test everything (and I have to do backups of the system first), I will post an update.
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 2:26 AM
  • Hello,

After I uninstalled update KB4512508 for Windows 10 version 1903, the mentioned behavior stopped.

Question, how do I report the issue to Windows developers (if that's at all possible)?

Sincerely,
    Konstantin
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:22 AM
  • The problem update, namely update KB4512508 for Windows 10 version 1903, has been automatically re-installed, causing the mentioned problems all anew.

Exactly how do I prevent that from happening again?

Is it possible to block a certain update until I manually re-install it again?

Update: I used "Show or Hide updates" diagnostics tool to hide the problem update.
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share details. Your share might be helpful for other people who has similar problem. 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, September 9, 2019 2:29 AM
  • That's useless. The next upgrade (KB4515384) that superseded KB4512508, causes the same problem.

Is there a way to actually contact tech.support, report the bug and get real fix, without "handling" the issue by rolling back the conflicting upgrade?
    Saturday, September 14, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Did you try the group policy?

Local Computer Policy

Computer Configuration

Administrative Templates

Windows Components

Remote Desktop Service

Remote Desktop Session Host

Remote Session Environment

Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections

to DISABLED

Saturday, September 14, 2019 7:43 AM
  • EckiS, thanks!

You solution works for me on W10 under ESXi! No KBs were uninstalled.

Friday, September 20, 2019 6:51 PM