none
Belkin UPS on Windows 7 System

Question

• I have a nice Windows XP/Pro machine configured to meet my needs (quad core processor, 4GB RAM, to video adapters driving three LCD displays). I'm ready to upgrade from XP/Pro to Win7/Pro.  The system is supported by a Belkin F6C1500-TW-RK Uninterrupted Power Supply rated at 1500VA. The UPS is now monitored by the Belkin Bulldog Plus monitor software on the XP machine.

My problem is that the monitor software was never released for Windows 7, and that appears to be my only roadblock to upgrading from XP/Pro to Win7/Pro.

Belkin's response: "We regret to inform you that due to recent events Belkin has consolidated its operations and has decided to exit from the UPS business. The drivers for the Win 7 operating system is not available and also unfortunately there will be no drivers updated for Win 7 operating system."

Since Windows 7 has an XP mode (which is supported by my Q6600 processor), can I run the Bulldog monitoring software under it?
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:38 PM

Answers

• In many cases, Vista software will install on Windows 7 and work as desired. This is known as working but not supported. When this happens, the software manufacturer will not provide assistance with any problems. But it may work just fine. You'll have to try it and see.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

You may right click on the application and set it to run under Compatibility Mode.

If it does not work and the manufacturer will not develop new software to support Windows 7, you may consider to buy a new UPS.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:39 AM

All replies

• If you want your UPS software to shutdown your physical machine, then running the UPS software within the virtual machine will not accomplish that task. It would only be able to shutdown the virtual machine.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Can you think of any other solution?  Here is what Belkin says about their Bulldog software:

Version: 4.0.1, OS compatibility: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP 32 BIT, Windows 98 SE, Windows Vista 32 bit, Windows Server 2003, size: 12.2 MB

The Vista 32 bit thing sounds promising.  Also, I have an icon on my Windows XP machine (created by right mouseclick on the desktop, then new, then shortcut) that sends it into hibernation by using this command line:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

I tried this on my NetBook which is running Windows 7/Home, and it works the same way.  At least this tells me that if I can get the Vista 32-bit version of the Bulldog software to run under Windows 7/Pro, then the command line for hibernation should work.

Does this make any sense?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:58 AM
  • In many cases, Vista software will install on Windows 7 and work as desired. This is known as working but not supported. When this happens, the software manufacturer will not provide assistance with any problems. But it may work just fine. You'll have to try it and see.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

You may right click on the application and set it to run under Compatibility Mode.

If it does not work and the manufacturer will not develop new software to support Windows 7, you may consider to buy a new UPS.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:39 AM
  • Here How you do this thing with Belkin 4.0.2    The software runs script (bat) file at shutdown.  Get old clunker and load XP32 and Bulldog software.  Mine is remote accessable from a radmin server set up so use laptop to log on and access.  No monitor or keys. Just an old XP box with Bulldog loaded and USB cable to Belkin UPS ( mine the 1200VA that like a brick) and network connecting.  Set up XP box as telnet client. Set up The NEW W7 64 or 32 (whatever) as a telnet server.  Power fails XP box goes into shutdown but runs bat file before it does that calls up a VB script that runs up the telnet login for W7 box and has commands to shut it down.

You can also use the same procedure to shut down a NASlite server as NASlite has telnet Server built in to its Linux setup.

Essentially with a little work you can over the network shut down later op system machines and Naslite servers over the network using Telnet clients a batch file and VBS scripts for each machine to be shutdown.  Remeber that Network switch, Router etc need to be on a small UPS so network avaliable when power fails.

This means only one box (XP with belkin loaded) ever needs to be monitoring power and all other machines can just be power connected to their own UPS without talking Via network or USB as one box sends commands using telnet function to shutdown all when power fails.

Hope this helps

Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:04 AM
  • Strangely enough, I tried something stupid .... and it worked for a few days.  I just installed it under Windows 7/Pro (64-bit) and, like I said, it worked for a few days. Then it stopped working.

I'm afraid the telenet solution, although elegant, is beyond my tech level.  So my next experiment will be to install it as a XP application.  I have Windows XP mode working using the Windows Virtual PC function that comes with Win 7/Pro.  I even got Skype working!

So, that will be my next attempt ... alas, several critical projects will shove that aside for a week or two -- then maybe I can get to it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Monday, August 02, 2010 9:08 PM
  • HEY guys there is actually a way to install the Belkin Bulldog v2 on Windows 7.   See below:

• Open My Computer
    • Open C:\ (Local Disk)
    • Locate the folder called Belkin_APM_Setting_Up
    • Delete this folder
    • Reinstall the Belkin Management Software

TI WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:14 PM
  • Have a Belkin F6C1500ei TW-RK I've been testing.

On my Windows 7 32bit machine I plugged in the USB connection and as I was testing batteries, even without the Bulldog software installed (only the Windows 'online' driver install) it initiated a hibernate on my machine.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 10:17 AM