none
I can't install WinXP update KB2686509

Question

• For two weeks now I've been getting a little update balloon which I click, and which tells me that I have been unable to install Windows XP KB2686509 (whatever that is). I've checked various help centers, and it seem that a lot of people are having trouble with this one. Advice on how to fix it from laymen always ends up with nothing happening. I'd ignore these constant security balloons, but I'm worried that this one is blocking all other updates. I don't think it's my computer since others are having this problem. And before you ask, I also have Norton Security and Emsisoft anit-malware. PLEASE give me some advice that does not require me to take everything out of my computer and put it back again. Or failing that, how can I persuade Windows to stop sending me this message if the download is so faulty. HELP HELP HELP.   

Sunday, May 27, 2012 7:29 PM

Answers

• One of the issues with this KB2686509 has to do with KeyBoard layout vulnerabilities.  See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686509 which has a section on what to do if the KB fails. My experience was dead-on. Look in the windows directory for a faultykeyboard.log file, and the keyboard layouts in there have issues (usually not found),

See: If the %windir%\FaultyKeyboard.log file was created, follow these steps:  in the KB.

IN my case I was missing several KeyBoard layout files, but they were in DLL cache so I copied it in. But the damm program only lists ONE error at a time, so you could be running this update many times. I got so fustrated that I just copied all the layouts from the DLLCACHE to SYSTEM32 and the patch was SUCESSFUL!

Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:29 PM

All replies

• Thank you for your help. However, two months ago a nasty worm got in my computer, at which time my serviceman installed Emmissoft. I also have Norton to protect me. I DON'T WANT TO REMOVE THESE just to accommodate windows. So now the question is, will having this stupid icon occasionally pop up cause any problems to my computer, or can I just live with it? There must be SOME OTHER WAY than to remove a pair of protections that are working just fine.

Harold L. Erickson

Monday, May 28, 2012 7:09 PM
  • If you have security software installed in the systm, it is OK that you just ignore such security update.

Hiding it through Windows Updates website can be an option.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:43 AM
  • One of the issues with this KB2686509 has to do with KeyBoard layout vulnerabilities.  See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686509 which has a section on what to do if the KB fails. My experience was dead-on. Look in the windows directory for a faultykeyboard.log file, and the keyboard layouts in there have issues (usually not found),

See: If the %windir%\FaultyKeyboard.log file was created, follow these steps:  in the KB.

IN my case I was missing several KeyBoard layout files, but they were in DLL cache so I copied it in. But the damm program only lists ONE error at a time, so you could be running this update many times. I got so fustrated that I just copied all the layouts from the DLLCACHE to SYSTEM32 and the patch was SUCESSFUL!

Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:29 PM