none
Unsupported 16-bit application error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed 64-bit windows 7 Prof with service pack 1.

In my system, I am running one C++ executable but i am getting below error.

"Unsupported 16-Bit Application" which reads as-follows:

"The program or feature "\??\D:\extraction.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available."

Someone help me on how to fix this.

This exe is running fine in other system having same configuration as my.

Friday, April 17, 2015 10:17 AM

Answers

• If I remember correctly and if you do some research 16-bit execution is not supported on 64-bit Windows.

See results of a Google for 16 bit application on 64 bit windows 7  Read the post from the first link How can I run 16 bit programs in Windows 7 64-bit? :

"16-bit programs can't run on 64-bit windows 7 natively.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, April 17, 2015 10:43 AM
  • Hi,

As mentioned by Rick 16-bit execution is not supported on 64-bit Windows system natively. We'd suggest contacting the  C++ executable program vendor for further information.

If you are developer of this program, I’d suggest that we post at MSND forum. There you can get more effective suggestion by other experts who familiar with development of Program. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:25 AM
  • As Rick Dee and Deason Wu says, 16-bit applications are not support in Windows 64-bit releases. But, if the same application runs fine in other computers which have Windows 64-bit release, it clearly means that the application is not a 16-bit application. The error you see occurs due to the following conditions:

1. The file is corrupted. This can occur while copying the file or if you're using any software to extract the contents of a file that has been copied during which the executable file may have been corrupted.

2. The contents of the file has been modified. This can occur if any antivirus software tries to remove any suspicious content (which it believes) from within the file.

3. You're trying to access a program that is not supported in GUI mode. This type of programs can be run from Command Prompt only.

Balaji Kundalam

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:56 AM

All replies

• If I remember correctly and if you do some research 16-bit execution is not supported on 64-bit Windows.

See results of a Google for 16 bit application on 64 bit windows 7  Read the post from the first link How can I run 16 bit programs in Windows 7 64-bit? :

"16-bit programs can't run on 64-bit windows 7 natively.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, April 17, 2015 10:43 AM
  • Hi,

As mentioned by Rick 16-bit execution is not supported on 64-bit Windows system natively. We'd suggest contacting the  C++ executable program vendor for further information.

If you are developer of this program, I’d suggest that we post at MSND forum. There you can get more effective suggestion by other experts who familiar with development of Program. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:25 AM
  • As Rick Dee and Deason Wu says, 16-bit applications are not support in Windows 64-bit releases. But, if the same application runs fine in other computers which have Windows 64-bit release, it clearly means that the application is not a 16-bit application. The error you see occurs due to the following conditions:

1. The file is corrupted. This can occur while copying the file or if you're using any software to extract the contents of a file that has been copied during which the executable file may have been corrupted.

2. The contents of the file has been modified. This can occur if any antivirus software tries to remove any suspicious content (which it believes) from within the file.

3. You're trying to access a program that is not supported in GUI mode. This type of programs can be run from Command Prompt only.

Balaji Kundalam

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:56 AM