Scan to email document received in .eml instead of pdf. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

We have setup an exchange 2010 sp3 server in a Domain environment.

From my multi function printer, We use the scan to email function on the copier.

On my Microsoft Outlook, i received an email (plain text format) with an attachment .eml

If i open the .eml attachment, I will see the scanned document.pdf attached in it. The .eml file is in html format

The correct behavior to received the scanned document should be receiving .PDF file in the email.

What could be the cause? Any help will be appreciated!

My account is not verified yet if not i will attach a image here.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 8:54 AM

Answers

• We found the root issue to this problem.

Email sent out from the C brand printer did not contain and email body text.

If there text in the email body, everything will worked fine as per normal.

• Marked as answer by exploda Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:39 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:39 AM

All replies

• Hi

Is it just your machine receiving .eml files or all users?

How is the MFP setup?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 10:26 AM
  • Hi Ed,

Thank you for the reply.

We tested with 2 MFP.

X brand doesn't have the issue while C brand is having the issue.

Both have the exact setting but some how document sent from C brand will received as .eml attachment

smtp without authentication

Thursday, July 2, 2015 11:27 AM
  • Hi,

Do you create a proprietary receive connector for your local copiers.
    If not, please add it then remove all authentication mechanisms and check only anonymous users for permissions group. More details about create a custom receive connector: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj657467(v=exchg.150).aspx
    Note: it only works for internal copiers.

Moreover, we can use transport rule to archive this. For your reference:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/zh-CN/a1d419ce-a549-419f-8e16-953b3acc056e/attachment-content-scanning-not-consistant?forum=exchangesvrsecuremessaginglegacy

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, July 4, 2015 1:03 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Thank you for the respond.

We actually found the root to this issue.

If we add the rule for disclaimer message to append in the email send out from the copier, we will have the error describe in the 1st post.

This only happen to C brand printer, X brand printer work fine with this rule.

Any workaround for this issue?

• Edited by exploda Monday, July 6, 2015 2:58 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 2:57 AM
  • Screenshot of the email when rule wrap is applied:

Screenshot of the email when rule ignored is applied:

We hope to incooperate the disclaimer message with the new C brand printer, is there a workaround for this issue?

• Marked as answer by exploda Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by exploda Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:36 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 3:06 AM
  • We found the root issue to this problem.

Email sent out from the C brand printer did not contain and email body text.

If there text in the email body, everything will worked fine as per normal.

• Marked as answer by exploda Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:39 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 3:39 AM
  • HI there,

can you help me / guide me , how to configure email body ?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:29 AM
  • I don't know how relevant it is, but first I encountered a similar problem when sending without text in the message body from mac OS. And about the settings, you need to log in to the web interface of the printer, then scan (can't say for sure as I don't know the model of your printer) and when setting sending scan you can specify the sender name, email subject and write a message. (attached is a screenshot of my HP device)

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 5:03 AM