none
BLANK SCREEN RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 4-year-old Asus laptop that has performed well until the last few days. The screen suddenly goes blank -- dark and blank, but not quite black. There's no discernible pattern as to why or when the blank screen appears. It started s a few days ago. I wish I could recall if it was before or after the most recent big Windows 10 update. Initially, it happened once or twice a day. Today, it happens again and again. I have uninstalled drivers, then updated drivers. I ran Windows Troubleshooter and it said it fixed something, but the blank screens still happen. I have to press power button again and again to get the main page to return, but then it goes blank. Sometimes, I have to reboot. This is the longest the laptop has stayed alive all day. What is going on? Is the hard drive dying? Thanks.
    Friday, May 18, 2018 12:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Check your current build number of Windows 10:

1. Press WIN+R.

2. Type winver, press Enter to view the exact version number.

Please visit the Asus official website to check if there is latest proper graphic card driver for your model of graphic card.

If addition, if it's possible, please also consider to send it to do a hardware test to eliminate the hardware cause.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 21, 2018 3:16 AM
  • screen suddenly goes blank -- dark and blank, but not quite black. There's no discernible pattern as to why or when the blank screen appears.

Do you have another monitor you could attach?  See if that screen goes blank at the same time?

Also, when this happens try first to start Narrator (Win+Ctrl+Enter) since it will give you assistance while you are in the dark (provided your default audio is not associated with a non-functioning HDMI port).  Then see/hear what happens if you press Win+Ctrl+Shift+B (maybe more than once with psychic pauses); in any case note if you hear a beep from this procedure.  More conventionally you can try getting a reset of the video system by using the Project dialog to change the display configuration; e.g. press Win+P, CursorUp, Enter.  If you are switching from PC Screen Only to Second Screen Only there will be another hoop to jump over to get that one done.  E.g. there would be a prompt to ask if you wanted to keep the change but without the desired reset of the video system!  So press Tab, Enter to OK that even when you can not see it.  Narrator will keep you in touch with what is going on.

have to press power button again and again to get the main page to return.

If the above workarounds help, you will spare your hardware such unnecessary abuse. 

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, May 21, 2018 4:46 PM